Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
frank_anderson
Tutor
Tutor

This system looks excellent on paper, the idea is brilliant, but its clearly not ready yet..

I spent a good portion of the day playing around with it, running around, replacing my old wired IP cam that died a week ago and added 2 more while I was at it, figured why not, it's wireless right? It should be simple because after all, we all know Netgear makes pretty decent routers and switches..

WRONG... the system is just not stable, it detects when it wants to, it connects when it wants to, the famous..

"There was a problem establishing a connection to the media server" error.... umm I'm viewing this from my network right? why am I getting such horrible latency? It sometimes even tells me that my basestation is undetected, what the...?

All in all, a excellent idea but needs some serious work before it's even usable, right now its a vertical paperweight.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

frank_anderson,

I am glad to hear the good news! The camera firmware is set to update on it's own, @TomMac outlines the process in detail in the following thread if you'd like to check it out:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Troubleshooting/new-camera-refuses-to-update-firmware/m-p/975200#M3...

Thank you for the update and if you ever have any additional questions or concerns please don't hesitate to return to the community!

JamesC

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

frank_anderson,

I apologize for the frustrations caused so far. In order to further isolate the cause of what you are describing I have some questions regarding the conditions in which you are using the system:

1. What browser are you using when receiving the error messages described. Do you get the same errors when using the phone app or an alternative browser?

2. Do you have any virus protection software enabled? If so, when disabled do you still see error messages?

3. Are there any other wireless devices nearby that could be interfering with the cameras signal with the base station?

In regard to latency, who is your ISP and what is your download/upload speeds? Please let me know so that we can further assist you!

Thank you!

JamesC

frank_anderson
Tutor
Tutor

Hi JamesC

1) I'm using Chrome Version 44.0.2403.157 m

2) Yes, using Norton Internet Security v22.5.2.15, I have tried with both firewall off/on, according to my syslog on my network via Netgear SRS5308, ARLO is requesting ports 80 and 443, nothing else out of the ordinary.

3) The cameras (3) are placed pretty close to the base station, I'd say the farthest one is roughly 35 feet away, closest one is right underneath the base station as the base station is sitting on the top shelf.

As for interference, it's hard to say.. There's WIFI 2.4/5Ghz router near by (about 6 feet away), cellular phones and tablets around the house, playstation 4, the usual household stuff, the wifi signal is max on ARLO when connected.

ISP is PCCW Netvigator fiber and download/upload is 300mbit both ways.

jgravert
Guide
Guide

I just found something that Works on one of my PC's.

Others should try this and see if it works for them.

NOTE: Internet Explorer and Chrome Still DO NOT WORK!

I was able to get this working in FireFox.

Follow these steps and report back here if it works for you as well. You will need to try this with FIREFOX Web Browser. Latest Version.

Step 1) Go Here and Follow the Steps...  https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/uninstall-flash-player-windows.html

Step 2) Go Here and Follow the Steps....  https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player.html

Step 3)  In FireFox go to  the Menu that looks like a stack of 3 hamburgers at the top right. Then click  "OPTIONS" then click "SECURITY"    Once on the Security Page click the "Exceptions" button. Add the following websites to the list. 

arlo.netgear.com

netgear.com

You will need to do them one at a time. Click the "Allow" button after typing each one. It will populate in the list below. Then Click "Save Changes".

Step 4) Close FireFox. Make sure it has closed then re-open it. I don't believe I cleared Browsing History but if I did you may have to do this also.

Now visit arlo.netgear.com and put in your username and password and see if it works for you.

Good Luck! and please post your results.

NOTE: Also make sure you add the arlo.netgear.com site to the whitelist of your Firewall/Antivirus/Antimalware software.

frank_anderson
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks for the feedback guys, got some good news.. Sorry if I wasn't clear earlier, I'm using both Chrome Version 44.0.2403.157 m and Android Arlo App v1.10.2_9903 to test this, both are up to date as of Aug 23, 2015

It appears the camera firmware was part at fault, it was running 1.1.2074, while the latest appears to be 1.2.2688

It's not running perfect as I'd hope for, but it's definitely a improvement. I dont see the unable to connect to base error anymore, but 1 out of the 3 camera's wont update firmware, I have tried opening the battery door and closing method, leaving the camera off for a few minutes then turning it back on, the firmware is still stuck at 1.1.2074. This is the only camera I am having problems connecting to (espicially on chrome).

The new firmware works ok, I do have to occasionally hit refresh / reconnect a few times but it's not as annoying as it use to be when it just kept saying "unable to connect".

I still get the occasional "There was a problem establishing a connection to the media server" with Chrome, but with the Arlo app as my primary tool and chrome just being a back up, the faults are tolerable.. There are some teething issues, as I said in the beginning, it's a excellent idea, but its still rough around the edges and needs some polishing, be it server side or just firmware, I have no regrets buying this product and I see Netgear is standing behind it with updates, etc, I dont feel like I was left in the lost somewhere. /cheers

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

frank_anderson,

I am glad to hear the good news! The camera firmware is set to update on it's own, @TomMac outlines the process in detail in the following thread if you'd like to check it out:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Troubleshooting/new-camera-refuses-to-update-firmware/m-p/975200#M3...

Thank you for the update and if you ever have any additional questions or concerns please don't hesitate to return to the community!

JamesC

JEA003
Tutor
Tutor

Can we get an update from Arlo on the connection to media server problem? I bought a new one, took the old one back, it worked for a day streaming well, then the message returned. If we buy a product that works off of a server use that I am sure is included in the price, shouldn't the product work? And if not, why isn't Arlo returning our money that we payed? Arlo has now placed our homes in danger with a faulty product. We need UPDATED REAL TIME ANSWERS! NOW before I dedcide to get a lawyer involved in this. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

JEA003,

What is the behavior of the internet LED on your base station when you're having this issue? Are you receiving an error message when trying to live stream?

JamesC

JustLearning
Apprentice
Apprentice
Connectivity issues: even with a good wifi signal the app shows connectivity issues. There may be a jammer, the bandwidth may be a problem, both the Arlo and Arlo Q cameras go out and other apps and sites open showing good wifi signal to the iPhone, can anyone help? It needs to be reliable!
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

JustLearning,

It sounds like you could be experiencing an interference issue. Are you having the issue just with the app, is this occurring as well on the web client?

JamesC

PMAA
Aspirant
Aspirant

My system is in Texas. I'm in Florida and I'm getting notifications of motion detection,  but I'm unable to open cameras and see the library. It says "cannot connect to media server". 

Help. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

PMAA,

At what point are you seeing this error? Before you log in to the app? When trying to play library content?

Are you still seeing this behavior?

JamesC

PMAA
Aspirant
Aspirant
I can log in, no problem. The cameras cannot "get status". That's when the error shows up. Previous library videos show up from when I was in Austin,but not since Monday morning. Monday evening in Florida, no access. I had my daughter who is in austin sign in. She can't see anything either. I get motion alerts, just can't acces. I would have assumed it was my Location but since my daughter can't access either, I'm even more confused. Thx.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

PMAA,

Please contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

JamesC

PMAA
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thank you