Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
leftcoastgeek
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just picked up the two-camera kit from Costco yesterday, playing around with it.  

base station:   FW Version 1.7.3_5005, HW Version VMB3010r2

cameras:  Hardware H7, Firmware 1.2.4941

I'm assuming this is latest as I'm not being offered any options to upgrade ?

its connected to my ethernet network, motion capture works more or less (very poor sensitivity, I can slowly walk through the field of view, and it just catches my back as I'm exiting, previous cameras I've tried were far better at this).      the night vision is weak, too, again previous night vision cameras I've tested have been better.

my internet speed is 130Mbps inbound, 15Mbps outbound, and I'm using a Windows 10 desktop, with the latest Chrome browser...    If I go to the Cameras view, and click 'live view', it just spins indefinitely with 'please wait...'  and nothing happens.

other general complaints:

I have a 12 terabyte NAS server at home on gigabit ethernet, I would much prefer to store my security videos LOCALLY and not have to rely on a internet 'cloudy' service.

I have a multi-access point Ubiquiti Unifi wireless network at home, I really wish I could use these cameras over that, rather than the rather weak Netgear AP, which doesn't reach both ends of my house at the same time if I put it in the middle of the house.

this thing is about 1 day from getting stuffed back in the box and returned to Costco as being a rather useless toy.    too bad, as I rather like the camera form factor.

5 REPLIES 5
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

leftcoastgeek,

Information on the latest firmware can be found here: Release Notes

The firmware you mention in your post above is outdated and will automatically update overnight. This could be the cause of the issues you describe above.

There are many features/ideas like the ones you request above being discussed on the Arlo Idea Exchange. The Arlo development team routinely reviews these posts to assess which features the community would like to see implemented.

I encourage you to visit and support ideas there by giving Kudos.

JamesC

leftcoastgeek
Aspirant
Aspirant

been 3 nights now, still no upgrade?!?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

leftcoastgeek,

The firmware update should complete automatically overnight.

If you are having issues receiving the update, be sure your cameras have good signal strength and good battery life. Also consider a reboot of your base station (using the on-off button) and allow the base station to attempt updating overnight.

JamesC

leftcoastgeek
Aspirant
Aspirant

ok, the base station updated itself after power cycling, and now the cameras say there's an update available.    both cameras are outside, one at each end of my kinda long and skinny house... one gets 1-2 bars (of 3) and the other stays at 2 bars signal strength.  not sure what I can do to improve this, since this system can't use my existing distributred Unifi WIFI access points, which per my signal strenght program on my android tablet is at least 9dB stronger than the "netgear 33" thats ON THE SAME CHANNEL as the closer UniFI AP.

leftcoastgeek
Aspirant
Aspirant

and the cameras are updated to 1.2.7730

live view is still hanging, even if I move the base station so the one cam gets 3 bars... I'm rebooting the base station again post camera upgrade, to see if that helps.    I've got to run an errand, I'll check back in with an update when I return.