Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 18 Replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 10 In Conversation
lasagnalover
Tutor
Tutor

just got my arlo yesterday. Connected it directly to the router via the ethernet cable but got only the amber light. Turned off and on again but no difference. plugged the ethernet cable into an apple airport extreme which itself is connected to the router and working fine, but nothing changes. Took the ethernet cable feeding the airport extreme and went with it into arlo but nothing changes. any suggestions?

18 REPLIES 18
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Try a factory reset first.  Since it depends on the firmware version in the base station as to the procedure, try the old method first.  Press the reset and Sync buttons at the same time and hold for 10-15 seconds or until the LEDs flash amber.  If that doesn't give you the proper indication of the LEDs, use the new method which is the same thing but only the reset button.  Once reset, try the Internet connection again.  Be sure to tell us what the  various LEDs are doing.

lasagnalover
Tutor
Tutor

thank you but it did not work. I tried both reset methods, with and without the ethernet cable connected, always with the same result. first all lights flash amber, then they turn to steady amber, and eventually only the power light lights up green or the power lihgt green and the internet light amber. In all cases I turned off the arlo after the lights were steady and turned it back on. is it worth sending the unit back for a replacement?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Likely but you'll need an RMA. Create a trouble ticket to start that process. An alternative, if you're within the store's return policy, is to just exchange it for a new one.

lasagnalover
Tutor
Tutor

I got a second unit but it gives me the same problem. I am starting to believe that the problem is in the router. I now gave one of the base stations to a friend and asked him to try it at home with his connection to see if the problem persists.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

lasagnalover,

Were you able to isolate the issue to the router? Did it work when your friend connection it on his network?

Please let us know!

JamesC

PI9
Initiate
Initiate
Same exact problem here. Also did reset with sync n reset button. All flashed amber. Powered up only on indicator is glowing green. Internet indicator glows amber. I am on Fios, using all fios equipment. My router firewall is set to maximum security with port forwarding rules. I tweaked ports 443 and 80 to allow service for base station. My WPS is disabled for security reasons. Base station was given IP and shows up as in my wireless network active via ethernet. Still big amber glowing light. Did I miss something???? Or is this Arlo no good?? Any ideas or further configuration attemps greatly appreciated.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You may want to temporarily drop back and punt with the router security. I don't mean to disable it completely but to go back to stock settings so you're not chasing your tail. As for ports, a few folks have reported needing port 123 (ntp) open as well as 80 and 443, all to Netgear.com.

Advanced security settings have bitten people in the butt before although usually with software, not the router.

PI9
Initiate
Initiate
Almost a year later and the thing sits in box. Never worked even with support advise. I spent a lot of money for this system and all I got was stress. The store refused return because I exhausted myself for over a month trying to get it to work. So how about Netgear sending me a self paid return label so you can replace this base station for me???? If want one that works.
F150Fan
Star
Star
Have you modified your default router or firewall settings? There are many modifications that can be made that would preclude your router from communicating with your base system. Not only firewall rules, but router rules that only permit specific MAC or IP addresses to attach. I mention this because this is the kind of thing that I forget, and then I spend needless hours troubleshooting.
karencamp
Aspirant
Aspirant
Having problems with the app. It has recognised the security device. But keeps coming up with an error message
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

What are the LEDs on the base showing? What is the error?

thomasjacobsen
Initiate
Initiate

Hello 

Impossible connect to central i tried many times and wont connect.

It is on cable internett and tried factoty reset and reset both ways 

Thomas Jacobsen

thomasjacobsen
Initiate
Initiate

Only Reset button and it worked to reset and start all over again 🙂

Mn0000001
Aspirant
Aspirant
I'm having the same Amber light issue with Verizon FIOS router. By comparison it works fine with Time Warner/Spectrum using a Motorola router. I suspect a setting in the Verizon router but not sure where to start.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Unless you can log into the router, there's nothing you can do other than to get Verizon to change their settings for ports 80, 123 and 443 to arlo.netgear.com to be open.

Snoops
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same issue. Solved by performing "factory reset" -- however, not pressing the power button. 

Just holding down the reset button, wait for amber light. 

When amber is only on power, then press power button to turn off. 

Turn it back on again.  

Wait for all lights green, then try to discover.  

Prior to this, was using Airport Extreme, tried everything. Factory reset by holding both power button and reset button together (at least 8x) 

Although both are on same network, just for grins, used LAN cable, as well.

Also tried downloading Puffin browser , connecting to https://arlo.netgear.com/#/login  (did not work)

Again, just pressing the reset button instead of both power & reset. This worked for me.

Hope this helps other people.

Also tried

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

To be clear, a reset is done by pressing only the reset button until the LEDs flash amber. You can then just let the base base reboot rather than hitting the power button.

whirlyburd2000
Aspirant
Aspirant

My base station would not connect to my router. VMS4430. I did everything to try to correct it. I read all the trouble shooting and it came down to this. I recently installed Norton's WIFI protector which enabled VPN. As soon as I disabled it the app immediately recognized the base station. I also couldn't register the Arlo Pro. It kept asking for a password when I hadn't even created an account, at least that's what I thought. Come to find out I had an old Netgear account that I forgot about. As soon as I recovered my password, registration went smoothly and now all four cameras work great!! Sounds complicated but entirely my doing. Once I figured it out worked great.