Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
hedgehoglady
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hubby brought me a 3 camera pack for Christmas. Worked fine until May then started messing around going offline, then coming back on again, not filming at night, acting as if a schedule had been set but I don't know how to set one so it couldn't be that. I phoned the support desk and was not even given a support number so obviously they weren't bothered so they gave me a few suggestions which I tried but it only made it worse. I reset to factory settings and started from scratch and got them working again. They worked for a month with no problems so I decided to extend it to 2 base stations and the 7 cameras. Everything worked fine for about 6 weeks then they started going offline, not recording at night which is when I want them because of the wildlife. I again phoned support and waited ages for someone to come through and again was not given a support number despite asking for one. I explained all the problems and they suggested reinstalling it all from scratch so I did and exactly the same thing happened. One of the cameras wasn't working at all despite showing under the devices it just didn't record. I have spoken to support on numerous occasions and the last time I asked if I could return the whole lot for a refund, they said yes then I got cut off. I tried again but no joy. This morning I decided to go back to my original set up which worked so I reset the base station to factory settings and linked all 3 cameras to it and they worked fine during the day but stopped as soon as it got dark. Now I cannot save favourites, I don't have the little man that turns yellow, The little arrow that allows you to go back and forward through the videos is no longer and the live disappears as soon as you put your mouse on it but it works. This is just too much now I have spent so many days/weeks/months trying to sort this stupid set up and have finally decided that it just doesn't work unless you lot have any bright ideas please can someone tell me how I get it sent back for a refund.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
brh
Master
Master

@hedgehoglady

I've got an early doctors appointment this morning so I will have to get back with you later. Meanwhile, what are the signal bars on your cameras showing when they are working?

Please bear in mind that these cameras use radio signals to work and the wifi is on a very crowded hobby band, so interference could also be a problem unless you live in the country. Some experimentation as far as placement, distance from the base stations to the router and inside devices that use the same channels that could cause interference will need to be done. I haven't of of others having your problems so I don't think it is firmware related.

What are your internet speeds both up and down? If you don't know, try the Ookla speed test on your phone at different locations around the house near the cameras.

Brian

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
brh
Master
Master

@hedgehoglady

What mode are you using and is this happening on both base stations?

Brian

hedgehoglady
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi

I am not using any mode just what the base station was originally set up with and yes it is happening on both base stations. I wouldn't mind but it isn't consistent.

brh
Master
Master

@hedgehoglady

Each base station has 4 modes and one of them will be selected by default. there is the Armed mode, Disarmed mode, Schedule mode ad Geofencing mode.

Please open the app or on your pc go to https://arlo.netgear.com/#/login and use your credentials to log in. 

Please notice that there 4 icons - Devices, Library, Mode and Settings. Click on the Mode icon. There should be 2 icons that resemble base stations, (since you hae two base stations),  and there should be text to the right of the icon that states which mode the base station is in.

Please let me know what the text beside each base station icon states.

Brian

hedgehoglady
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi Brian

Thanks for your help

The 2 base stations are set to armed.

brh
Master
Master

@hedgehoglady

Is your problem only on one base or both of them?

If you can't see the Arrows in the mode settings, try using Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox as your browsers, or are the arrows missing in your app? If not go to the modes tab in the app. Click on the Arrow beside the first base station. That takes you to the Rules page. For each camera there should be a rule. Click on Edit and look at the settings for each camera and make the appropriate settings. I suggest setting the motion sensitivity to 100% and the recording time to a fixed amount of time, (120 seconds for now), in the section called If the Following. Make sure you scroll down and save the settings.

Go back to the Devices page and click on the Wheel above the picture for each camera in the old app or I think Device Settings in the new app and make sure that the Night Vision is turned on for each camera. Then do the same for the other base station.

Finally, when you suspect that something is wrong at night look at the 3 LEDs on each base station and make sure they are all green.

Brian

hedgehoglady
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi

Its both base stations. The arrows are missing in the app but if I go to where they should be with the mouse I can get it to work which isn't ideal. Night vision is definitely turned on for each camera. I've tried every setting from 40% to 100% but still no joy. I have also tried changing the recording times but still the same. The really annoying thing is both the base stations have 3 green lights working with the middle flashing occasionally. I have tried everything but I just can't get them to work properly. I have disconnected the whole lot 3 times, changed the cables, swapped the cameras round, run it with one camera working and I still cannot get it to do what I want it to do. I was given it because my hubby knows I love looking at the wildlife in the garden so all I want is the camera to work when there is an animal out there. I can see the badger from our porch but do you think the camera will pick it up, no way. We have put outside lights out in case that is the problem but that didn't work. I really think I have a dud lot. The warranty runs out soon and I won't be able to do anything about it all going back for a refund as they are absolutely no good for me.

hedgehoglady
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi Brian

I went into Firefox and I have all the arrows and favourites back, thank you for that.

Laura

brh
Master
Master

@hedgehoglady

I'll have to think about your problem for a while, but meanwhile, do the cameras ever show offline in the app?

Brian

hedgehoglady
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi Brian

Yes they do but that again is weird as it could be one camera on a base station and 2 on the other base station but the other ones are all working. It is so infuriating as you think you have sorted something and then another thing goes wrong. 

brh
Master
Master

@hedgehoglady

I've got an early doctors appointment this morning so I will have to get back with you later. Meanwhile, what are the signal bars on your cameras showing when they are working?

Please bear in mind that these cameras use radio signals to work and the wifi is on a very crowded hobby band, so interference could also be a problem unless you live in the country. Some experimentation as far as placement, distance from the base stations to the router and inside devices that use the same channels that could cause interference will need to be done. I haven't of of others having your problems so I don't think it is firmware related.

What are your internet speeds both up and down? If you don't know, try the Ookla speed test on your phone at different locations around the house near the cameras.

Brian

hedgehoglady
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi Brian

I have resorted back to 1 base station and 3 cameras and that seems to work OK at the moment. Because I had 2 base stations and 7 cameras I upgraded to the Elite subscription so will have to get in touch with Netgear to see about sending the others back and changing the Elite subscription. I tried adding a fourth camera on Saturday but it was having none of it.

Thanks for your help Brian

Laura