Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation
RussJack
Aspirant
Aspirant

My 3 camera Arlo Sys has never worked properly. After fussing with it for 3 weeks, I keep getting false triggers and maybe one correct recording for every 40-50 false triggers! Reduced motion sensitivity to 40% and still receive false recordings even from beyond 50 feet out of view of the cameras. Frustrated. Nice video if it would give proper recordings. Frustrated.

12 REPLIES 12
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

RussJack,

It sounds like the issue you are describing could be due to the placement of your cameras. It can sometimes take some trial and error to find optimal conditions for your Arlo system.

Take a look at the tips in this article to be sure your cameras are positioned for best performance: How do I optimize my Arlo Wire-Free camera’s motion detection performance?

JamesC

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Post screenshots.

Chaskamn
Guide
Guide
I have the same issue. This is on a camera in my garage. The field of view is largely dark but their are reflective surfaces. I get virtually constant tripping even at low sensitivity. What can I do? I have played with angles, sensitivity and placement. External cameras are working fine.
Chaskamn
Guide
Guide

IMG_0307.PNG

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

What's that bright bar in the back?  A reflection or a crack in the door?  That might cause such recordings depending on whether it's a light source.  I suspect that insects (or mice?) are causing the recordings - I've had several where a cobweb or spider have tripped the sensor but I usually get to see those items at least in the beginning of the video.

Chaskamn
Guide
Guide
The bright vertical line is sunlight by the edge of the garage door. No mice or spiders. The triggering also happens all night.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The sunlight could well be the daytime issue since it's a huge source of IR. Even if it's not the sun directly, sunlight reflected from a car could be sufficient. Nighttime is another matter but could be from external sources. Hang a blanket or tarp over that crack to see if that changes anything.

And don't bet against anything, including bugs...  🙂

demetreb
Apprentice
Apprentice
One of my 4 cameras does the same thing and has been for 8 months. Thought it was tree braches triggering it. To test it and lay rest to "sunlight, mice, reflections, leaves, ghosts" excuses I put it in a cardboard box and it still trips. I put in a metal box...same. Now i have to convince customer care. All they say is re synch put new batteries position it properly (which they are well aware that i have boxed it away from any interference and therefore the sensors are pooched)...150$ down the drain
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Nope, insist. You have a 1 year warranty and others have had their cameras replaced for the same reason.

Chaskamn
Guide
Guide

I'll try swapping cameras first.  If triggering continues I will need to look at the environment.

Chaskamn
Guide
Guide

OK I have tried it in 3 other locations and with no luck.  My other three cameras work great......  Now I guess I have to figgure out how to get this exchanged???

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Use the Contact Support link at the bottom here to open a case.