Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 25 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 10 In Conversation
dbenn
Follower
Follower

I just got this system today and I have 2 cameras that keep going offline every 15 to 30 mins.  I open up the battery compartment and close it and then the cameras work for another 15 to 30 mins.  Did I get a couple of bad cameras?

25 REPLIES 25
JPC
Prodigy
Prodigy

It might also be related to your ISP/modem/Router.. 

RX
Guide
Guide

@dbenn:

Since its just a new setup, you may want to reset the base station to factory defaults:

Push the Reset button (on the back of the base station) and the Sync button (on the side of the base station) for about 10 seconds or until all the LED lights on the base station blink amber. This procedure returns the base station to its factory settings. After doing a factory reset on the base station, rerun the setup procedure. The factory reset removes the base station from the account. If your cameras were synced to the base station, you might need to sync the cameras again after the base station comes back online.  

Check this link as reference then go to #8: https://community.netgear.com/t5/tkb/articleprintpage/tkb-id/arlo-knowledge-base/article-id/61

mountaindewbass
Apprentice
Apprentice

Wow another person with the same problems as me, yet everyone gives the same answers and nothing helps

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The fact that you have the same problem at such a rate of drop out would lead me to think its more likely something in the internet service/ cable modems/etc causing the problem...  One bad cam maybe,... 2 or more at same time, prob not.

I would post the company/modem info and see if similar with the other complaint.

My old vuezone system would drop out the base every 2nd Sat-Sun night and of course required a power down to restart... it was the cable system, some how the house-keeping was doing it , but never really fiq it out, just did a work around till it stopped after a year.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
JPC
Prodigy
Prodigy

This is something new.. I just got it too.. One of my 4 cameras just went offline in front of me.. This might be a server issue again.. Anyways, I re-seat the battery and all is well for now... I hope it's just a glitch .. Been having glitches lately but not too often.. I hope this "Offline" thing won't be happening too much on me.. 

mountaindewbass
Apprentice
Apprentice

Talking with the tech support they had me change the wifi channel to different channels.  The different channels are 1,6, or 11.  So far i have used channel 6 and the cameras were offline this morning.  So i switched them to channel 11 and so far so good.  I also changed my Hue Bulbs/Hube to a different zigbee channel just incase they were getting in the way.

Ill keep this posted until a solution is figured out.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

what is your main wifi router channel on ?? ( that was change was the wifi , not arlo base ?)

cyberjunkyfreak
Apprentice
Apprentice

OK, i hade the same problem when I first setup my system.  What I found was, the camera's firmwares were out of date (as the package was sitting on a retails shelf for sometime).  I spent many hours trying to figure out how to force an update, and was finally told by support that the updates get pushed out automagically usually during the nighttime hours.  

So, all that I can suggest at this time is to check to see if your cameras firmwares are out of date, and if so, just  leave them connected and wait it out a day or two and the gremlins should udpate the firmware while you are sleeping, and that should  hopefully fix the connectivity issue (it did for me).

Arlo support should allow us to DL and force a manual update of firmware...

mountaindewbass
Apprentice
Apprentice

My main router was on Channel Auto.

I believe my base and cameras are all updated.  Either way, Netgear Tier 3 support thinks i have a fault base. RMA has a new one in the mail

Tyler

Rudy
Apprentice
Apprentice

How do you change the channels on the base station?

JPC
Prodigy
Prodigy

Unaccessible.. It's locked by Netgear.. It does its own.. Am sure it's set to Auto.. 

Rudy
Apprentice
Apprentice

OK, I figure that. It probably tries to match the nearby router to reduce interference.

mountaindewbass
Apprentice
Apprentice
Channel 11 is working for a full 24 hours for me. Hooray:0)
mountaindewbass
Apprentice
Apprentice
Try changing your router channels
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

mountaindewbass wrote:
Try changing your router channels

many apps on the iphone/android/kindle allow visual reps of the wifi channels and band for best channel picking.

Use one and set you home wifi to that, when the arlo base installs ( if close to the home wifi ) it will setup on the same channel for best results/ less interference.

ejo142015
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am having the same problem, have had the system 5 days, tested it everyday with live streaming and motion detection and both cameras worked great, one of my cameras shows full basttery power, when I sync it, the blue lights flash for about 10 seconds and then flicker real quick and it connects, it shows as online for a minute in my account, then status changes to offline, very odd, please advise on what I should do to get it back working again.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

While it could be a defective camera, I'd also contemplate signal interference as a possible cause.  Other 2.4GHz. devices in the area can create an issue with the communication.  Moving the camera and/or base or other electronic equipment could help resolve the issue.

ChevyMama
Luminary
Luminary

I'm having the same problem. Not every 15 to 30 min that I'm actually aware of. I think everything is fine because all 3 LED lights are lit up but....when I go outside and walk infront of the camera it doesn't detect me even being there.  I have to check this website daily because eventhough the base station is all good, the camera is not! I click on LIVE and it says camera is offline.Super frustrated with this so far.  I called my internet service to change channels (1, 6, or 11 is reccomended) and even that didn't help. Good Luck, keep us posted.

ChevyMama
Luminary
Luminary

You need to call your internet service provider to change the channles. It's the only way.  Check your internet speed too.Have them run a check on their end too and tell them what's going on. I have a feeling it has nothing to do with your ISP because there are tons of posts with these problems!

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Just had an issue last night where I had to rebuild my schedule to get my camera to work.  Not sure what was up but it's worth a try.

ChevyMama
Luminary
Luminary

I keep mine set to "all motion on". No schedule

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

"All motion on" might be a problem.  That name implies a mode from last year which have been known to cause problems. Create a new mode and rules with exactly the same settings and use that instead.  Maybe, just maybe...

ChevyMama
Luminary
Luminary

I'm not exactly sure how to create a new rule etc.  Do I type in motion?  I don't want a schedule... I want it to detect any motion.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Check out the FAQs and articles found under the Support link above. Generally, Modes tab, select your system nand create a mode with a rule. Edit the mode to add additional cameras.