Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

camera goes bad due to inactivity

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
marcd18
Tutor
Tutor

I havent used my cameras in a few months, decided to get them up and running again. i have 3 cameras all vmc 3030 variety. when i changed the batteries all camera updated to firmware 1.2.16720. 2 of 3 the cameras work fine. the 3rd camera wont let me view live i get a "request timed out". It wont record either, but it does detect motion.

I live chatted with customer support and Aimar came to the conclusion that due to a couple months of inactivity, it caused my camera to go bad, even though the other 2 work fine. He even told me I was very lucky the other 2 still work due to not using the cameras for an extended time.  The cameras are only 2 years old (to the day), and of course out of warranty. 

Just a heads up for everyone, I expected to get more than 2 years out of a quality camera, thats why i bought Arlo.  Dont let the cameras go idle for an extended peiord of time, or youll be lucky if they work when you want to use them again!

8 REPLIES 8
brh
Master
Master

That does not sound right to me. I have never had an electronic device fail after a few months on a dead battery, unless the batteries leaked and corroded the contacts. Still anything is possible. I hope you did not throw the camera away, just yet.

If you still have the camera, tell us what steps you he had you take.

Were the batteries or battery contacts corroded at all?

It did update the firmware so it is working somewhat and that does not sound like dead battery damage to me.

How about elaborating a little more as to what you have done.

Did you try to change the batteries again with a different set? Or swap batteries witha working camera?

Brian

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Will agree with above...

I have arlo cams not used in 2 years and were able to fire them up and update software....

Sounds more like an update issue than anything else.

Remove batteries, install new and do a QUICK press on the base sync button then the camera.

If it fails, pull batteries, replace then wait a few min before second attempt

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
marcd18
Tutor
Tutor
Thanks for the replies, I myself did not and could not believe what the chat support agent was telling me, I guess my sarcasm is hard to portray over a post!

I tried everything I could think of to reboot the camera. I swapped more new batteries into it, I power cycled the base station and camera multiple times. Removed the camera from my system and resynced it multiple times and still nothing. These are the same procedures support had me do. The support agent even accessed my account and confirmed the camera wouldn't work.

It did accept the firmware update as did the other 2 cams I have, and the other 2 are working fine.

brh
Master
Master

Sorry to hear that, but at this point I have no more ideas. Looks like you have done everything that I was going to suggest. I do appreciate that you elaborated more as this could assist someone else in the future.

Brian.

marcd18
Tutor
Tutor
Here is the transcript of when I was told this was a hardware problem because I failed to use the camera continually
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I have a variety of electronic equipment, including cameras,  that work fine after extended periods of disuse. The agent needs some re-education. Anything is possible since a failure can happen at any time but it's rather unlikely. Of course, it sucks to have it happen to you...

brh
Master
Master

This is highly unusual, but I guess the moral of the story is than when a battery powered device is not going to be used for a while, remove the batteries. Who would have thunk...I feel bad for him as these cameras are not cheap.

Brian

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Not for the camera but batteries can be inexpensive if you search on the Internet, with $1.50-1.75 possible. Rechargeables, such as the certified Tenergy setup, can mitigate long-term battery costs. I don't have a single non-rechargeable battery for these cameras in the house.