Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

camera firmware refuses to update

Discussion stats
  • 25 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 6 In Conversation
colorandlight
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi all.

I have reviewed all the posts related to this issue, but none of the suggestions solve my issue.

I have two cameras, both of which currently have firmware version: 1.2.2688. It seems that the new firmware version is: 1.2.4941, but I am unable to install it. When I click the "Update" button on the web app (in the camera device settings page), a message appears on the web app stating that the camera firmware is updating. The lights flash for a short time on the camera (about 10 seconds), and then stop. The message on the web app asking me to wait while the camera firmware updates goes away. However, I am no longer able to access the camera video. I have waited as long as overnight, but the camera never becomes available. I only get a message that the request timed out. In order to get the camera video back, I have to power cycle the base station and allow it to resync with the camera. As well, the camera firmware is not updated, but is still at the same old version. I have tried this on Chrome (Ubuntu and Windows), Safari, Edge, and IE.

Most frustrating is that I am never able to view the camera video on the mobile app, because there is a green window over the camera view window that says I have to update the firmware, which never goes away. The same thing happens as described in the previous paragraph when I click the mobile app Update button in the middle of the camera window. The camera lights flash briefly and then the camera is unavailable until I power cycle the base station.

This behavior happens with both cameras. I have spent several hours on multiple calls with the Netgear tech support over the past month. They all have me do the exact same debug procedure involving the camera battery cover, camera usb power slot, camera device removal and resync, base station restart, base station factory reset and camera resync. It always ends the same way, cameras need firmware update, but refuse to update.

Netgear was even kind enough to send me a replacement camera (hence my two cameras), but the new camera behaves the very same as the original one, firmware won't update. I have also returned the base station and camera to BestBuy for a replacement, which they did do. But, the new base station and camera behave the very same way, camera firmware won't update.

And in closing, there is no checkbox anywhere in my web interface settings or mobile app for automatic firmware update, so I can't try that procedure.

Here is some additional information:

Base Station:

FW Version 1.7.5_6178
HW Version VMB3010r2

Camera(s):
Hardware H7
Firmware 1.2.2688
25 REPLIES 25
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Try resetting the base by removing everything from Settings, My Devices. Use the Add Device button on the Devicesvtab to add the base and sync the cameras.