Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

camera firmware refuses to update

Discussion stats
  • 25 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 6 In Conversation
colorandlight
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi all.

I have reviewed all the posts related to this issue, but none of the suggestions solve my issue.

I have two cameras, both of which currently have firmware version: 1.2.2688. It seems that the new firmware version is: 1.2.4941, but I am unable to install it. When I click the "Update" button on the web app (in the camera device settings page), a message appears on the web app stating that the camera firmware is updating. The lights flash for a short time on the camera (about 10 seconds), and then stop. The message on the web app asking me to wait while the camera firmware updates goes away. However, I am no longer able to access the camera video. I have waited as long as overnight, but the camera never becomes available. I only get a message that the request timed out. In order to get the camera video back, I have to power cycle the base station and allow it to resync with the camera. As well, the camera firmware is not updated, but is still at the same old version. I have tried this on Chrome (Ubuntu and Windows), Safari, Edge, and IE.

Most frustrating is that I am never able to view the camera video on the mobile app, because there is a green window over the camera view window that says I have to update the firmware, which never goes away. The same thing happens as described in the previous paragraph when I click the mobile app Update button in the middle of the camera window. The camera lights flash briefly and then the camera is unavailable until I power cycle the base station.

This behavior happens with both cameras. I have spent several hours on multiple calls with the Netgear tech support over the past month. They all have me do the exact same debug procedure involving the camera battery cover, camera usb power slot, camera device removal and resync, base station restart, base station factory reset and camera resync. It always ends the same way, cameras need firmware update, but refuse to update.

Netgear was even kind enough to send me a replacement camera (hence my two cameras), but the new camera behaves the very same as the original one, firmware won't update. I have also returned the base station and camera to BestBuy for a replacement, which they did do. But, the new base station and camera behave the very same way, camera firmware won't update.

And in closing, there is no checkbox anywhere in my web interface settings or mobile app for automatic firmware update, so I can't try that procedure.

Here is some additional information:

Base Station:

FW Version 1.7.5_6178
HW Version VMB3010r2

Camera(s):
Hardware H7
Firmware 1.2.2688
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

colorandlight,

One more thing to try would be to disarm the system so that the camera is not active (detecting motion) during the firmware update window. Firmware updates are triggered automatically overnight so be sure the camera is close to the base station, has fresh batteries and is disarmed.

I have escalated this issue for further investigation, please let me know if you continuing experiencing this issue after trying the above troubleshooting.

JamesC

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25
colorandlight
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just adding that I have left the camera and base station undisturbed for 5 days (since Sunday), and the firmware has not yet been updated.

I am unable to use the mobile app to view the camera, because the "must update firmware" screen covers the camera window, and cannot be removed.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

colorandlight,

I would like to assist in helping resolve this issue by reviewing your case. Please private message me the case number that you have open with the support team.

JamesC

colorandlight
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm adding some additional information and new behavior. The camera firmware is still not updated. Now, I can no longer attach to the camera.

When I click the Live button in the web app, I eventually get a message that states, "the request timed out." So, I click the Live button a second time, and this time the error states "the camera failed to connect, please try again" So, I click the Live button a third time, and this time the error states, "there was a problem establishing a connection to the media server". This little dance goes on forever, the camera now refuses to show a live image. When I open and close the battery cover on the camera, the blue light flashes rapidly, and all three lights are green on the base station. Still, no connection.

The base station is connected with a Cat 5e Ethernet cable to a Netgear R6250/AC1600 wifi router, which is connected directly to an Arris SB6141 cable modem. On a laptop computer, the wifi connected speed test is 38 Mbps download, 10 Mbps upload. On the same laptop computer, the Ethernet connected speed test is 50 Mbps download, 11 Mbps upload. There are no other devices attached to the wifi router during the test.

I can see that the Arlo base station is broadcasting on wifi channel 6 (-35dBm) and my R6250 router is broadcasting on channel 11 (-45dBm). There are other wifi devices in the area, but none of them exceed -85dBm. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

colorandlight,

Would it be possible for you to try creating a new account using a new email address? If so, consider the following:

1. Log in to your current Arlo account, navigate to settings and remove all listed devices. (Your base station LEDs should flash amber and turn off indicating that the base has been factory reset)

2. Allow the base station to come back online with a solid green power/internet LED and then go through New System Setup using a new email address. Be sure the device you are using for setup is on the same network as the base station.

3. After the new account has been created and the base station has been registered. Sync your camera to the base station, be sure it is near the base with fresh batteries and allow the update to complete overnight.

Please let me know if this helps,

JamesC

colorandlight
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi James,

I've done the steps that you requested. I made a new account. I removed the camera and base station from the old account and added them to the new account. I left the camera and base station untouched for two days, with the camera about 3 feet from the base station.

There has been no change in functionality. The firmware refuses to update. I cannot view a live image; I get the same dance as before. If I click the "Live" button on the web interface, I get a message which states: "the camera failed to connect, please try again." I cannot check the "Live" image on the mobile interface, because it is covered by the window that states I have to update the firmware, which always fails. Additionally, it seems when I do click the "Live" button on the web interface, the third green led on the base station turns off, leaving only the two green leds lit. After serveral minutes, the thrid green light on the base station comes back on. I don't recall if that was the case before I swapped accounts.

Of interest perhaps is that the camera detects motion and records video.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

colorandlight,

One more thing to try would be to disarm the system so that the camera is not active (detecting motion) during the firmware update window. Firmware updates are triggered automatically overnight so be sure the camera is close to the base station, has fresh batteries and is disarmed.

I have escalated this issue for further investigation, please let me know if you continuing experiencing this issue after trying the above troubleshooting.

JamesC

colorandlight
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi James,

Thank you for all your help. This last suggestion seems to have worked, the firmware on the camera is up to date and the system is finally functioning.

I'm not sure whether I should mark your last answer as the solution, since the actual solution was likely a combination of all the above suggestions and my new router, cable modem, and Internet connection. However, if it will help you in any way, I'm happy to mark your last answer as the solution.

Finally, I should mention that I purchased a Wi-Spy (http://www.metageek.com/products/wi-spy/). I found out that a neighbor of mine has a 2.4GHz wireless video device that is broadcasting at 200mW, and is essentially overwhelming wifi in certain rooms of my house. They temporarily disabled the wireless video, and I now have no issues with the Arlo system. It is possible that their video system was interfering with the Arlo too.

Sincerely,

Kevin

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

colorandlight,

Thank you for the followup. This is great news, I am glad to hear your system completed the firmware update.

Either post as the solution is fine, any other community members having a similar issue can see the history of troubleshooting steps and attempt any of the above suggestions to resolve the issue.

Thank you for your contribution,

JamesC

Arkay
Star
Star

The previous blog and answers were similar to our problem but we have not found a solution that works. We have a 3 camera system at our elderly mother's house but as that is 150 miles away we cannot just call in.

It was set up yesterday and all works OK on my PC. However when I try to watch on my android device, although it worked for a couple of hours, it then switched to green screen on one camera stating the need for firmware upgrade. Like other replies, I pressed the firmware upgrade button and it cycled for a few seconds but then returned to green screen with no video, stating the need for firmware upgrade again.... etc. etc.

No change when left overnight.

As I say, the camera works fine on PC and my brother says it works on his iPad (Mac), but the same camera does not show video work on android.

How can I get it to work or firmware upgrade bearing in mind we cannot call into the base station at mum's house?

No idea what her system in but I could (?privately) give you the system number if it helps?

colorandlight
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm sorry to hear about your issues. The issue with our system was that the base station was getting a lot of interference from another 2.4 GHz device (not WiFi) in the vicinity. I only found this out when I did a radio scan with a Wi-Spy radio frequency scanner: http://www.metageek.com/products/wi-spy/

Unfortunately, you would have to be at the location to test it. Once we found and eliminated the source of interference, the system worked as expected. It took a couple of days for the firmware to update.

Arkay
Star
Star

Thank you Color and light. It would obviously be easier if we were there but ... Not possible. But there are no other devices in the house, let alone nearby so not sure that is the issue and just to confirm, it worked fine for a couple of hours before one camera, and only one camera, said it needed to update.

I am hoping someone from netgear will chip in to help, but it did work fine for 2 hours or so, by which time the person who set it up had gone. Aarghh! As a point of feedback, several people seem to have problems with these cameras once they update, and I would suggest this is a poor quality product as a result?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You say it works on a PC and your brother's iOS device but not your Android so it's an issue with your app or device.  What device and OS?  Can you update the OS?  Have you tried reinstalling the app and restarting your device?  If it works anywhere but not another, you've narrowed the issue down to how you're displaying, not with the system.

Arkay
Star
Star

Thank you for your attempted help - appreciated. I had of course considered what you have said and I have cleared cache / uninstalled ARLO app and checked everything is updated on my device (Android 5.1) before reinstalling. No luck. I say again it is only one camera and that was aorking fine for 2 hours until it went to green screen telling me the firmware needed updating on the camera.

It is only the firmware update which appears to be failing, and all other cameras still work on my device which suggests some sort of conflict between the attempted update and android? That seems to be a common theme?

Any ideas gratefully received.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

When it works, what firmware version is shown as well as on the other cameras?

Arkay
Star
Star

Not sure where to locate the firmware for individual cameras as on the website it says version number 2.1.1.766-13329 , but is that cameras?

Just to confirm that only one camera has failed since it asked me to update. As soon as I did - it stopped working but only on my android. Other 2 cameras fine on Android and all 3 fine on PC.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Arkay wrote:

Not sure where to locate the firmware for individual cameras as on the website it says version number 2.1.1.766-13329 , but is that cameras?

Camera version info here;

SETTINGS>MY DEVICES>pick cam, bottom of page

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
Arkay
Star
Star

Thanks, but when I click on devices / camera, there is nothing else on the page. Is it because my cameras are in 'shared devices' as opposed to 'my devices' in which case I will have to get log in details and password from my brother who is the account holder??

Or should it show on 'shared devices' as well??

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Arkay wrote:

Thanks, but when I click on devices / camera, there is nothing else on the page. Is it because my cameras are in 'shared devices' as opposed to 'my devices' in which case I will have to get log in details and password from my brother who is the account holder??

Or should it show on 'shared devices' as well??

It could be that you don't have full privileges ...

You could check the "shared" devices area, not sure

Morse is faster than texting!
Arkay
Star
Star

All the cameras are listed in shared devices but clicking on them individually does not reveal firmware number. That said, even as a shared member, one would hope the cameras would not fail so soon after setting up. Is there a possibility of solution or is our only option to return the product because, whilst the solution must be something simple, on reading through the blogs, this firmware upgrade / android device / random camera failure appears to be quite common?

Help!

Arkay
Star
Star

OK - I have now got full privileges access and can give you the information you requested. I have reinstalled all apps and the same thing happens.

My PC version is 2.1.1.766_13329

My Android version is 2.1.3_14013

All 3 cameras Hardware (H7) have a same firmware version of 1.2.4941  - BUT - the one camera that is not working on Android states that there is an upgrade available. I am not tempted to press 'UPGRADE' on my PC as that is what I did on Android and lost the video feed on that camera. I am unsure why there is only an upgrade available on one camera when they are all running the same version anyway?

Base version (Hardware VMB 3010.2) firmware is 1.7.5_6178

Hope all that gives you food for thought, and that you can help get a picture back on Android.

Arkay
Star
Star

Anyone care to have a stab at a solution 

Arkay wrote:

OK - I have now got full privileges access and can give you the information you requested. I have reinstalled all apps and the same thing happens.

My PC version is 2.1.1.766_13329

My Android version is 2.1.3_14013

All 3 cameras Hardware (H7) have a same firmware version of 1.2.4941  - BUT - the one camera that is not working on Android states that there is an upgrade available. I am not tempted to press 'UPGRADE' on my PC as that is what I did on Android and lost the video feed on that camera. I am unsure why there is only an upgrade available on one camera when they are all running the same version anyway?

Base version (Hardware VMB 3010.2) firmware is 1.7.5_6178

Hope all that gives you food for thought, and that you can help get a picture back on Android.

please?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Arkay,

All of your Arlo hardware is running the latest firmware according to what you indicate above. This issue may take more additional troubleshooting to determine why your device is suggesting there is still an update available. Please contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link. If you have any additional questions/concerns feel free to private message me. I would be happy to help.

JamesC

Arkay
Star
Star

Thanks JamesC. I have contacted Netgear technical and I have a reference number. I will let you know if this gets solved as - right now - it still shows and green screen and says update available when it is already running latest version. Aarghhh! Not happy.

JamesC wrote:

Arkay,

All of your Arlo hardware is running the latest firmware according to what you indicate above. This issue may take more additional troubleshooting to determine why your device is suggesting there is still an update available. Please contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link. If you have any additional questions/concerns feel free to private message me. I would be happy to help.

JamesC

NANCHANG621CJ
Aspirant
Aspirant
I'm having exactly the same problem with my two new Arlo cameras and have tried the same things. I've been working on this for three hours and am getting frusyrated. I purchased these two new Arlo cameras because the ones that I've had for six months suddenly stopped working indicating "low battery" 7%. I've put two sets of new batteries in those, but they still indicated "low battery" "replace batteries" and no new pictures.