Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

camera did not record

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
omni
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

I've had multiple break ins by some "we just want to f*** with you"ers so I installed Arlo.  The f****** are influential people in my small community who I embarrased and pissed off for trying to f*** with me around town and at my workplace.  They never stole anying--for the most part--but did things like write stuff on my windows in china marker and left baubles around my house; just stuff to f*** with me.

I got Arlo to prevent this and ever since there's been no more window writing or baubles, but twice now I've had issues with the cameras and I'm not sure if it indicates just coincidental bugginess or if I'm still being f***** with.  The first event is when a camera detected motion and began to record someone I don't recognize entering my front porch, but recording stopped abruptly after 3 seconds--I set the cameras to record 20 seconds after motion.  The second event is when the same camera completely failed to activate when I walked onto my front porched, locked up my bike and entered my house.  The camera had ample opportunity to activate but didn't.  I noticed the failure about 10 minutes later and walked on the front porch to test and it worked immediately.  I have three cameras and I've never noticed any issue with them other than these two events, so these two events seem suspect.

Does this sound like expectable failures or foul play?  I'm considering now a single wired camera placed at a strategic point in the house as a last defense, if this is a sort of failure that should be expected from wireless cameras.

5 REPLIES 5
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I don't believe it's an imminent failure coming on.  The usual issue of no detection is the positioning of the camera so motion is across the field of view, not directly to it.  You've had it working and your retest of it worked so I'm not sure that's the issue. Maybe post a screenshot.

Make sure your schedule, if you use it, has no holes in it. If you notice lack of detection, are the running men black?  It's also possible the the server connection was broken someplace - could be your ISP or anything up to and including the servers.

The Q cameras are powered and constantly streaming.  The Q Plus also has an SD card slot that will keep videos even if the Internet connection is down.

omni
Aspirant
Aspirant
Ok I was having intermittent internet outages last nite that might explain it
nngnng
Apprentice
Apprentice

Following the golden rule of positioning the cameras does not work. This is a know issues with these Arlo cameras its take between 5-15 seconds to wake up the cameras. Check out the forum-

Catergory-Wire-Free Troubleshooting-Outside Recording Delay. Listen to all the people having the same issues. If this is a new setup make sure you keep your receipts just in case if you need to return them. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Ok, just because yoh can't or won't position your cameras properly doesn't mean it's a system flaw. I have a 2 second delay which is the best you'll get. Improper positioning will cause bigger delays. Of course, one size doesn't fit all but you haven't seem to have tried. Add something useful to the forums. Whining isn't useful.

nngnng
Apprentice
Apprentice

jguerdat you must have special cameras from Netgear. Guess i am not the only one whinning- go to the another forum- There are a bunch of whinner there. If this is a new setup you can still return it or its too late.... There are plenty of better security cameras on the market.