Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Your Arlo device appears offline

Discussion stats
j_r_n
Apprentice
Apprentice

My Arlo cameras are offline. I've the 3030 models. I've rebooted my base station and router 4 times. They seem to have gone offline yesterday and are staying that way, normally a reboot brings them back online. Was there an update yesterday that I should know about? 

43 REPLIES 43
Jordandawg05
Guide
Guide

same issue here - been working fine for 2 years and now both cameras are offline. i've reset power and router multiple times with no luck. I may have to take batteries out , reset manufactur settings is the only work around that i've read about this issue.

disapointed as netgear is not addressing this. 

ronco58
Tutor
Tutor

I agree. Netgear does not seem to realize that unreliable and remotely unservicable security eqiupment is useless. I have decided to eat my $600 is losses on the system and buy a hard-wired system.

Arlo is really a toy, not for actual security monitoring. I wish that they had disclosed this prior to purchase.

ronco58
Tutor
Tutor

I finally drove the 1.5 hours to my remote location, un-installed the cameras and base station. Drove back home and completely reset the base station and re-registered using a different email address. The system is working but these things are useless as a security appliance. They are expensive toys that require constant tinkering.

Video security is for un-attended locations. Netgear requires you to be there to contunually service the equipment. If we could be there, we wouldn't need remote monitoring. I got rid of the Netgear router too, replaced it with a Linksys.

j_r_n
Apprentice
Apprentice

@ronco58 I started this thread and I've had Arlo cameras for a little over two years. Your assessment is correct, they expect you to be nearby, unfortunately I am not.

ecarnate
Aspirant
Aspirant
The same problem here and I am hundreds of miles away. Rebooting the base station did not solve the problem. There is no way to resync the cameras remotely. POS Arlo!
BadBart666
Tutor
Tutor

My wireless Arlo unit was working fine for a few years until earlier this year when it started to chew through batteries and continually go 'Offline'.  I logged a job with support (Vince, Expert ID:46311) who suggested a heap of things to do.  I completed the requests but I am still having issues with the device.  My other two wireless devices are fine and are all running the latest firmware.  I am tempted to ditch thes devices and go for something else.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

ecarnate, BadBart666

What does the signal strength show for the cameras experiencing the issue? It sounds like there could be an issue with he cameras maintaining their connection to the base due to poor range or interference.

JamesC

BadBart666
Tutor
Tutor

JamesC, 

The camera has/had one bar of signal.  It was one bar from day one and was never a problem until now.

I have moved another device to the same location for the last 4 months without a problem (batts are holding charge and not losing comms).

I can put new batts into the faulty device and have it running next to the base station for a while and see what happens.

BadBart666
Tutor
Tutor

JamesC,

Just put new batts in and re-synched to the base station.  Went offline within minutes!! Tried it again..same thing.

Signal strength is maximium.

Bigjimmy
Tutor
Tutor
I have exactly the same issue, it used to work but only stays live for minutes then loses connection!

Would love to hear a solution for this.
Buck2234
Aspirant
Aspirant

Buck2234
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have tried for hours to get my wre free system to connect with my computor, I can not get any help from Arlo.

Is there any technicians at Arlo who can help this fustrated person overcom the problem of connecting up and

getting my cctv system working , or have I lost over £200.00 in buying an arlo system

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

BadBart666,

Given the troubleshooting you've done so far, I encourage you to contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

Buck2234,

Which Arlo camera do you have? None of our systems correct directly to a computer. Can you give us details about what you are experiencing an what you have tried so far? (error messages you're seeing and LED behaviors are helpful for us in understanding the issue)

JamesC

Buck2234
Aspirant
Aspirant

Camera's x 2 wire free WMC3030.

I have tried with all instructions to connect to my desk top computor to no avail.

I am now going to order USB cable to connect directly to computor.

Don Doe

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Buck2234,

Cameras connect wirelessly to your Arlo Base Station. They will not connect directly to your desktop computer.

Take a look here for an instructional video on how to set up an Arlo system with wire-free cameras: How To Install Arlo Wire-Free Smart Home Security Cameras

JamesC

iciego
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have 5 cameras and recently I have been seeing this same error message off and on. If I remove the batteries from the cameras and reboot the base station the problem goes away. It seems to come back randomly but not all cameras goes out at the same time. I am tired of running around the house unplugging the base station and climbing ladders to remove batteries. This getting ridiculous!
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

iciego,

This could indicate an issue with the cameras maintaining their connection with the base station. What does the signal strength icon show for each of your cameras? You might try relocating your base station closer to the cameras to see if it improves the connection.

JamesC

augrenel
Aspirant
Aspirant

Here's a good question to ponder? What is the life expectancy of the Arlo Camera. I have a BS with Arlo Cameras and 2 plug in Arlo Q cameras. Arlo Q works perfectly. Recently replaced one of the Arlo Cameras that broke when i accidentally dropped it. Two days ago I start getting notifications that my cameras are offline, except the newest camera and the Arlo Q cameras. Could the electronics be failing after a year or 2 of service?

Netgear Get us some support ASAP!!!

augrenel
Aspirant
Aspirant

Discovered something this morning. Replaced the batteries in the 3 cameras that weren't working. Now they are working again. Normally get an e-mail when the battery power is low. Didn't happen this time for some reason. Could be that i changed to Rechargeable batteries to save money. was spending $60/ month on batteries for cameras. As soon as the cameras came back online, program requested a firmware update. Perhaps the automatic firmware updates aren't so automatic.

System working as intended for now. I know it's frustrating to not have your cameras operational, and it is something that i have been wrestling with since i bought my home half a decade ago. Of all the systems that i have used, Arlo has been the most functional and most user friendly. With any security system, there is an expectation of some interaction with it, but I hope these nuances of the Arlo system can be ironed out by Netgear.

am most disturbed that there isn't a step by step troubleshooting guide covering the situation of when a camera is offline. I scoured the User Manual to find one. With that being said, i think my first step from now on will be to check the batteries and hopefully not have to continue beyond that step. I've also noted the user manual states battery life is 4-6 months. I average 3-4 WEEKS. I also find it discouraging that they recommend that you don't buy rechargable batteries. I can't see paying $60/month on these things. It would be cheaper for me to get a monitored service. 

I hope this helps anyone who is still struggling with the offline camera issue.