Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Wireless Base Station and uptime

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
yishmeister
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the Arlo Base station and Arlo Pro Wire-Free camera currently. I love my current setup, but I encountered two big security holes two days ago in my setup. The security system as currently designed requires broadband connection to be armed. My ATT provided modem crashed two days ago, and my security system ended up being offline(disarmed) for the next 24 hrs until ATT came and replaced my modem. It is a very rare situation to have, but when it happens the security hole is huge.

So I have a couple suggestions:

1) Create a motion detector or support a third party detector, that connects to the base station in perpetuity either through radio band or P2P WiFi network, so even if the internet is down at the very least the alarm can be sounded if someone enters. Or maybe utilize the camera motion detection and WiFi tech?

2) In addtion to the above suggestion, I also think a change needs to be made to the base station. I think if there is any disruption in the internet, an alert email should be sent to the sytem owner, who can then access a web app to arm/disarm the security system.

I don't think you guys HAVE to change the way the camera operates, but I think the suggested redudancies above should help make it a more secure system.

Thanks and keep up the great work!

4 REPLIES 4
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

In the meanwhile ( good ideas BTW ) the Pro base would have recorded any issues based on motion detect to the usb drive, i think that was the original concept for this if internet failure.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
yishmeister
Aspirant
Aspirant

@TomMac Wait...if I have a USB drive connected to the station, the system will continue recording? And the motion detection continues working on the camera as well?

I ask because the app was telling me the sytem including the base station was offline. Thanks!

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Only if you have the PRO base do you have the option for usb drive record....( not the reg arlo base )

You can use a 10gb or so speed stick in the PRO base usb...when internet goes down, it will continue to record to the usb stick ( as long as you have power )

Morse is faster than texting!
MachineElve
Guide
Guide
@TomMac, that's good to know. Thank you