Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
kruuuzn
Aspirant
Aspirant

I've had my new Arlo Q camera working great with my R7000 router for more than a week so I decided to add to my system by purchasing a single wireless camera.

I can't get the wireless Arlo to connect with the router after I go through the steps;

1) Hold down the WPS button on the router until it flashes.

2) Press the sync button on the top of the camera.

The blue light flashes on the camera (slowly and then faster) but then goes out. I don't get the green light showing it's working.

Am I missing a step?

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Don't have an R7000 to test but the sequence of the blue LEDs is normal for a paired camera. What the router is supposed to show, I have no idea - I assume the green LED is on the router? Folks have had an issue with USB devices plugged into the router - do you have one? If so, unplug it and see what happens. There's a definite incompatibility when trying to use both a USB device and a wireless Arlo camera. Only one or the other works.
kruuuzn
Aspirant
Aspirant
I think the blue flashing lights on the camera should turn to green when syncing is complete. And no, I don't have any USB devices plugged into my router.
Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy
I don't think there is a green light at the end of the rapid blinking sequence of the blue light on the camera. The blinking green light on the base station will stop blinking and become solid after synchronization is complete. Are you sure the camera hasn't synched successfully? How do you know it hasn't?
kruuuzn
Aspirant
Aspirant
Oops, you are correct, my mistake. Judging from my Arlo Q the blue light (not green) should stay on after it's connected. My new Arlo wireless just flashes and then goes out. I'm assuming it hasn't synced successfully because I follow the directions in my Arlo App to add a new device but nothing happens.
Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy
What are you expecting to happen that doesn't? Can you start Live View on the wireless camera on the camera page? (You do that by pressing the “Play“ button that is superimposed on the camera still image - which will be green on a newly added camera). Has the new camera been added to your devices list?
kruuuzn
Aspirant
Aspirant
No, I cant start a live view from the new camera and it hasn't been added to my devices list. There's no sign of my new camera in my Arlo App, although my Arlo Q works great.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
The Q has a status LED (blue) that you can turn on and off while the wireless cameras don't. Thus, the camera seemingly is syncing since the proper sequence is a slow flash of the blue LED followed by rapid blinking of the same LED. When complete, all LEDs go out unless there's a firmware update being applied. That leads me to believe that something isn't being set properly in the router. Again, I don't have one so I can only guess. I downloaded the manual and there's not much you can do to go wrong. However, were these cameras originally connected to a base station? Maybe the base and cameras need to be removed from your account first since the camera can only be connected to one device at a time. Just a SWAG.
kruuuzn
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hey jguedat, Thanks so much for you help. I really appreciate it. No, neither of my cameras were originally connected to a base station. I don't even own a base station. What confuses me is the fact that the Arlo Q works great on the R7000 router but the wireless doesn't.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The R7000 is needed without a base for the wireless cameras since it builds a dedicated WiFi connection with the cameras. Q needs only the normal WiFi that all your other devices use. 

At this point, I'd first make sure your router firmware is the latest and possibly factory reset the router. If that doesn't work, create a trouble ticket with the R7000 folks to get help with it. The cameras, assuming both do the same thing with slow blinking blue LED followed by rapid blinking and then all are off, are giving you the right indication so I would suspect the router first.