Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Why do my Arlo camera batteries turn flat soon even after they are fully charged?

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
tonyling
Aspirant
Aspirant

Some months ago I had bought two Arlo cameras, with Base VMB3500r4. There were four 3V batteries that came along with each camera. I checked them with a volt meter. They were 2.9V to 3.1V. After the cameras were switched to ‘Armed’ for several hours, the batteries in the 2 cameras became low. Then I bought rechargeable batteries which were 3.7V. Still, they became low after cameras had been turned to ‘Armed’ for some hours. So, now I have to recharge the batteries every 2-3 days. It is inefficient and annoying. I was wondering if it is just me? Or, the ones I had bought are faulty? Could sb tell me how long batteries in a Arlo Pro(or a Arlo Pro 2) should normally last for?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

They were 2.9V to 3.1V

First, new 123 cells should read 3.2v when new. ( tho marked at 3v ).

The dropout point of these cells in the camera is just under 2.8v, so I can see why they would be showing low quickly.

As to rechargeable... 3.7v li-ion should read at about 4.2 off charge. ( since they do have ONLY 1/2 the capacity of non-rechargeables , you can expect to change them more often )

I have some Arlo HD cams that go 6 months with very low use on 123 cells and normally in spec use ( less than 5 min per day ) they run about 2+months.  Usage is the primary factor in draining of batteries ( live view and recording modes ) as armed mode uses very little power

I would check the brand of batteries your using first and make sure they are a name brand and not some fakes or old.

Also the LiFePO type cells just never really worked well in these cameras.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

They were 2.9V to 3.1V

First, new 123 cells should read 3.2v when new. ( tho marked at 3v ).

The dropout point of these cells in the camera is just under 2.8v, so I can see why they would be showing low quickly.

As to rechargeable... 3.7v li-ion should read at about 4.2 off charge. ( since they do have ONLY 1/2 the capacity of non-rechargeables , you can expect to change them more often )

I have some Arlo HD cams that go 6 months with very low use on 123 cells and normally in spec use ( less than 5 min per day ) they run about 2+months.  Usage is the primary factor in draining of batteries ( live view and recording modes ) as armed mode uses very little power

I would check the brand of batteries your using first and make sure they are a name brand and not some fakes or old.

Also the LiFePO type cells just never really worked well in these cameras.

Morse is faster than texting!
tonyling
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks a lotTomMAc