Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Why didn't the camera's auto update on initial sync with base station during installation?

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Linflas
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just realised after placing, and mounting 4 camera's outside on the ladder, none of the camera's updated their software.  Went inside, set everything up, now laying in bed checking it all out on my tablet, realise all the software is out of date on the camera's.  So have to get up on the ladder again tomorrow, and reset everything to update camera's?  This is stupid, they are wireless, why can't you do this remotely?  Seems an obvious no brainer to a pleb like me.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Linflas
Aspirant
Aspirant

Turns out, the camera's will auto update, all it requires is a basestation restart.  

Through the webgui, select the base station, click the big green restart button.

The Base cycles and updates, then cameras will update, it will show a viual prompt of "Updating" in the camera's window on the gui, you will see a yellow LED flash on the camera, this is the firmware flash I would assume,

DO NOT REMOVE BATTERIES DURING THIS STEP OR THE CAMERA WILL BRICK

This is all done remotely, so no other intervention is needed, just a minute of patience.  Thanks for the help all.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's been said (by an Arlo rep here) that the cameras should autoupdate overnight but I have no way of proving that.  worst case, a battery cover opening and closing would be needed.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

jguerdat wrote:

It's been said (by an Arlo rep here) that the cameras should autoupdate overnight but I have no way of proving that.  worst case, a battery cover opening and closing would be needed.

I've noticed that most of the s/w does update late night... I would assume that the update goes out after the main server does it's housecleaning at that time.

But there may not be a need to climb up to the cameras....

Make sure AUTO UPDATE IS ON, TURN OFF SCHEDULES, REBOOT the BASE by power button.... during that night the cameras will/should update,

I'd use the force method only if the update doesn't work ( after few nights )... as it seems many have bricked their cameras by opening the battery door at the wrong time during during sync/update cycle.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Linflas
Aspirant
Aspirant

Turns out, the camera's will auto update, all it requires is a basestation restart.  

Through the webgui, select the base station, click the big green restart button.

The Base cycles and updates, then cameras will update, it will show a viual prompt of "Updating" in the camera's window on the gui, you will see a yellow LED flash on the camera, this is the firmware flash I would assume,

DO NOT REMOVE BATTERIES DURING THIS STEP OR THE CAMERA WILL BRICK

This is all done remotely, so no other intervention is needed, just a minute of patience.  Thanks for the help all.