Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 18 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
Plzhelp
Luminary
Luminary

From reading today's Forum Discussions, I see that there has been a "surprise" change to the ARLO system today.  My questions are WHY?

1. Why did ARLO remove the date and time stamps that were visable for each camera and replace it with a notation of, for example, "8 m ago"...which does not change no matter how long you stare at the picture? (An individual date stamp of 12/28/15   10:48 a.m. was much more useful)!

2. Why did ARLO make the size of the motion and battery icons so small and monochromatic? (You now need a magnifying glass to see them...and they are no longer easily visable and green).

3. Why is the former green running man no longer green? (He is very small and gray/black!)

4. Why do  the total number of pictures taken on each camera  NOT CHANGE when you have clicked the camera icon in live view and taken another picture ?

5. Why do the pictures you have taken NOT appear in the library...where are they?

Why did ARLO take away so many of the features that made it easy to view and use?

7 REPLIES 7
Showguy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Because you are dealing with a company where every single update since launch has further degraded the system and the user experience.. I can kick myself, I had all problems solved because Arlo replaced my defective base after months of degrading performance due to faulty firmware upgrades,  After installing the replacement base I soon realized the the system performance was great like it was it was in March when I bought the system. So I blocked all firmware upgrade and ran an old near flawless version for 2 months.  Until last week when they emailed me and told of this great new iOS app overhaul that required the latest firmware. So against my better judgement I downloaded the current firmware and the system now runs like crap again.. False motions, slow to no streaming and all the other problems reported on this forum

devotchko
Luminary
Luminary

It's almost as if the app developers are working without any input from anybody else, no user testing, no gui feedback, etc. Why would you make changes that are counterintuitive (changing the active=green inactive= black scheme to active=black inactive=grey, but you still have green all over the design of the interface adding to the confusion), and why oh why don't you warn your customer base about these changes so people DON'T END UP WASTING THEIR TIME TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHY THE SYSTEM IS OFFLINE WHEN THE PROBLEM IS AT YOUR END. Is it really so hard to see you are pissing off your customers with these dumbheaded decisions?

Plzhelp
Luminary
Luminary

WOW! And all of today's changes came as a complete surprise!

I learned of these "updates" after a sudden "crash" of my ARLO, followed by "your base station is not connected to the Internet"... and a 10+ mile journey to check if the base station plug came out of the wall !!!!! 

It didn't...but I moved a heavy antique bed to check all the connections and make sure the green lights were on....but still no ARLO!

It wasn't until I came home and started searching the forum that I found out about today's "update" changes...and the problems we are all having.

Change can be good...but based on my preliminary view of this new ARLO...these changes beg the question "why"?

Icons are smaller and harder to read.... they no longer stand out with color (ie:green)...check out what happens when you press the "LIVE" button...can you see them ?

The date stamps are gone....now you have to calculate when each picture was last taken...THAT'S PROGRESS!?

I hope the pictures not appearing in the library is temporary....and the number of pictures taken on each camera will  increase by 1 every time you click the camera icon !

As a former IT professional, I know that system changes can be challenging...but ARLO should have tested these "updates" with users before inflicting these changes on its customers.

Plzhelp
Luminary
Luminary

I agree...please see my P.S. Why did ARLO make these changes?" just posted.

glioma
Aspirant
Aspirant

I agree completely. My biggest gripe is the size of the icons. Netgear should realize that for an icon to be useful, one has to be able to see it! The battery icon is tiny and almost useless.

I hope Netgear will consider that there are users who do not have perfect vision and restore the icons to the previous size.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

We appreciate your feedback and concerns on this matter. I will forward your feedback to the product manager. Thank you for your contribution to the community.

JamesC

ScottF
Guide
Guide

@jamesc  Lol... no you wont. And if you do the feedback wont be acted upon. How do I know this? History. You have YET to act upon any of the most voted issues on this forum. That's how.