Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Where to place cameras? Suggestions Needed.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Ransomed
Aspirant
Aspirant

We recently purchased a couple Arlo wire-free cameras and I'm having trouble deciding if where we chose to place them is the best option. I'm attaching two photos here and would love your advice. One camera is for our back patio. One camera is for a side door near our garage (sorry, not sure why it's showing up sideways). Based on the photos, where would you suggest placing the camera for the optimal coverage?   I have noticed that where I placed the camera by our garage...it doesn't give the Arlo a lot of time to notice movement. It's kind of narrow up to that black door and currently I have the camera placed above the door.  Any suggestions are welcome. Thank you.

IMG_8253.JPG

IMG_6694.JPG

9 REPLIES 9
Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

Cannot see the pictures yet...

As a rule of thumb, the Arlo Wire-Free cameras perform better if the subject moves accross the field of view, R-L L-R.  If the Subject moves towards the camera, I suggest a little trial and error testing before you install the unit.  we will know better when we see the attached pictures

Ransomed
Aspirant
Aspirant

Let me know if the photos aren't showing up still. When I pull the conversation up it shows me the pictures.

Thanks

Drbob1988
Guide
Guide
I have been using four cameras for 2 years and almost love them with the exception of the motion sensor NOT sensing movement that moves toward it. Left Right works great but when I pick up cars in the street and not someone much closer moving toward the cameras it makes regret the purchase. I hope there's a solve soon or I may sell these and do something that works better, whatever that may be.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Any camera (or other device such as motion-activated lighting) that uses PIR detectors will always be more sensitive to motion across the FOV compared to directly at it.  The detector uses a differential scheme which means that the subject has to be seen as changing - directly at the sensor has a much smaller differential than moving across the FOV.  The above mentioned lights' directions will tell you the same thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passive_infrared_sensor#Differential_detection

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Ransomed wrote:

We recently purchased a couple Arlo wire-free cameras and I'm having trouble deciding if where we chose to place them is the best option. I'm attaching two photos here and would love your advice. One camera is for our back patio. One camera is for a side door near our garage (sorry, not sure why it's showing up sideways). Based on the photos, where would you suggest placing the camera for the optimal coverage?   I have noticed that where I placed the camera by our garage...it doesn't give the Arlo a lot of time to notice movement. It's kind of narrow up to that black door and currently I have the camera placed above the door.  Any suggestions are welcome. Thank you.

It takes time for images to be approved.

The patio has many more possibilities than the garage door.  However, you don't indicate where motion would likely come from.  You want motion across the FOV which could be detected from any of the walls shown.  Tell us more about the scenario.

The garage door has issues - I'd mount it on a side wall, perhaps rotated a bit rather than straight down.  The corner by the door may work as long as you resist pointing it out the opening and try to keep just the door and sidewalk in view.  Alternatively, mounting it close to the actual entrance opening, getting the door  and sidewalk, may be as effective since the motion would trigger the camera and you'd get the subject at least walking away from the door.

In either caase experimentation is needed for best results.  Just try to minimize the view - too much scene hurts best detection.

Ransomed
Aspirant
Aspirant

Here is a better picture of the side door.  (Hopefully picture won't take too long to be approved you can see the scenerio) I'm thinking that maybe putting it under the eave above the garage door may be better so that the motion toward the door will be detected in the left to right direction?  As you can see in the photo, it's currently mounted above the door.

IMG_8258(1).JPG

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
No picture yet. Sounds good but the proof is in the pudding and testing.
Drbob1988
Guide
Guide
The motion detection issue has put my plans to buy more Arlos on hold. Hope it can be resolved.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Got the image now.  Exactly what are you trying to monitor - just the entry door or the garage door, too?  I might be inclined to place it next to one of the downspouts which would not only help hide it but would provide side-to-side motion detection.