Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

WIFI Channel Solutions Do Not Work

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
Sben80
Tutor
Tutor

I moved my Arlo base station away from my router because it was definitely causing interference. I noticed this when my Echo dots wouldn't play multiroom music anymore. They had problems connecting and seeing each other to coordinate/buffer music. I turned my Arlo off, and voila. Problem solved.

I got a wifi analyzer application for my computer and hooked up the Arlo again. The Arlo was using the same 2.4ghz channel and the same 5ghz channel. Moving my routers channels around to less crowded areas again fixed the problem, but Arlo eventually decided to follow my router and mess everything up again.

I moved the Arlo to another location like tech people say. Music works, but now the connection is horrible to all my cameras. Arlo thinks it's best to go on channels that have 10 or more routers on them...

For Example:

Right now, Arlo is on channel 2.4ghz-11 with 9 other strong networks, 5 of which are hidden... Channel 6 has three weak networks... MOVE TO 6!

Right now, Arlo is on channel 5ghz-48 and actually overpowered by 6 other networks, 4 of which are hidden... NO ONE IS ON 44! MOVE TO 44!

LET US MANAGE THE CHANNELS ALREADY!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Sben80 wrote:

Arlo thinks it's best to go on channels that have 10 or more routers on them...

Actually, it follows the router with the strongest signal.

As you point out, that strategy doesn't always work.  Unfortuately, despite many requests, Arlo still hasn't allowed people to manage the wifi channels that the bases use.

One workaround that some have used - put an inexpensive extende next to the base, and configure it to use the channel you want the base to use.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Sben80 wrote:

Arlo thinks it's best to go on channels that have 10 or more routers on them...

Actually, it follows the router with the strongest signal.

As you point out, that strategy doesn't always work.  Unfortuately, despite many requests, Arlo still hasn't allowed people to manage the wifi channels that the bases use.

One workaround that some have used - put an inexpensive extende next to the base, and configure it to use the channel you want the base to use.

Sben80
Tutor
Tutor

Hey there thanks!

I grabbed a wifi extender, setup two networks broadcasting, but did not connect them to an existing network. So they're just empty. Arlo picked up on that signal and appears to be working! 

That is indeed a clever workaround; however, not the ultimate solution. One day.

All Arlo needs to do is either let us choose, or automatically go to a less congested channel... 😞