Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

WHY LIMIT THE DISARM MODE ??

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
XJW
Apprentice
Apprentice

When I return home I disable the indoor cameras and leave the outdoor cameras on. The DISARM mode disables all cameras.  It's useless to me and many others.

You fixed the ARM mode so that it can have custom rules.  Do the same with the DISARM mode.  Why limit it ? Make it more useful.  Make it like any other mode.

This is particularly important because your IFTTT implementation is limited to ARM and DISARM.

9 REPLIES 9
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Disarm should disarm all cameras. Is your IFTTT working with Arlo at the moment?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

XJW,

The default "Disarmed" mode is designed to disarm all cameras. If you want to leave some cameras Disarmed while Arming others, create a new custom mode including rules for cameras you want to record (leave out any that you do not want to record).

JamesC

XJW
Apprentice
Apprentice

I think you have missed the point.  I have custom modes today.  But they are not supported by IFTTT.  Netgear only support ARM and DISARM with IFTTT.

ARM was also limited in the past but now it has been improved to allow cameras to trigger each other. 

If DISARM was treated like any other mode it would allow users to DISARM indoor Cameras but leave the external Cameras on.  

I would guess that there are many like me who disarm indoor cameras when they return home but leave the external cameras on.  The DISARM mode is useless for this use case.  And as custom modes are not supported by IFTTT it makes IFTTT useless for us.

Simple solution.  Make DISARM mode like any other mode.  Allow your customers to decide what they mean by DISARM.

XJW
Apprentice
Apprentice

Default the DISARM mode to disarm all cameras but let customers change it if they want to.  Make it a Custom Mode like the rest.  A simple solution that will greatly enhance utility.  You will just need to get your mindset around the idea that Disarm must be locked down.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

One thing to understand is that Armed and Disarmed are just the system defaults. That's what the custom modes are for. So, really, the issue is that IFTTT, etc. don't allow the use of custom modes apparently (I don't use any of these methods). That's the real solution but I have no idea if that's an Arlo issue or IFTTT (or whatever). I'm sure it's interrelated so open cases with support on both ends to try to get everyone to play nice together.

XJW
Apprentice
Apprentice

Just to add that the ARM mode only allows one rule per device making it useless for triggering multiple cameras when one sees movement.  Why has Netgear limited the ARM mode. ?  It makes this mode useless for many. These modes are worse than useless because your developers use them for poorly thought through implementations of IFTTT and no doubt they will use them again for Google Assistant.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Again, the Armed mode is just the default mode so you can get started as well as for troubleshooting.  You can always create custom modes for exactly what you're suggesting. There are FAQs here with complete details but quickly, use the Add a Mode button and create a new mode with a rule for a camera. Save and reedit the mode to add camera rules. Any camera without a rule is disarmed. These rules can use one camera to sense while activating another.

XJW
Apprentice
Apprentice

You have missed the point yet again. 

Netgear only support ARM and DISARM on IFTTT.  No doubt this will be the case for Google Assistant too.  Netgear is forcing us to uses these modes if we want any basic integration.  But as you understand they are near useless because they do not support the same features as Custom Modes. 

Netgear should either support custom modes on IFTTT and Google Assistant or allow ARM and DISARM the same features as Custom modes.

Without one of these options Home Automation integration is uselessly limited.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Not that it solves your problem of wanting to customize Armed and Disarmed modes but can you not use Geofencing plus custom modes to achieve what you want without 3rd party involvement?