Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
KyleX
Aspirant
Aspirant
Recently bought my Arlo cameras and set them up this past weekend. I'm noticing an odd exception where one camera will record my wife and I but not my kids. My kids are at least as tall as my wife tho not as tall as me. But they have narrower frames. Is that an issue? The camera in question is likely 10 ft high (could be 12?), motion is set to 55 and still recording street traffic in the distance. A second camera elsewhere will record my kids even tho farther away, but at a lower angle (8 ft?, motion set to 80?). Recommendations? I'm thinking I might need to lower it and see if that helps, tho from what I've read, that shouldn't be an issue (plus don't want someone to take it).
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Detection is via IR radiation , size can matter at times.

But, it is more than likely an adjustment in sense level is needed... it takes a few times to get the trigger events close to perfect by trial and error be it in settings and placement.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Detection is via IR radiation , size can matter at times.

But, it is more than likely an adjustment in sense level is needed... it takes a few times to get the trigger events close to perfect by trial and error be it in settings and placement.

KyleX
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks! I did incrementally adjust the detection, so now it generally records everyone, however, it also records every single vehicle in the street and sometimes the breeze in the plants LOL. Dozens of recordings a day I have to sift through. I could adjust the recording area to omit the street and part of the yard, but worry that it could miss an important detail if it's ever needed.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

good to hear...

however, it also records every single vehicle in the street and sometimes the breeze in the plants 

If you are going to leave this , just be aware that excessive recordings lower the battery life...

I use a Q camera (ac powered ) thru window ( yes the Q works just fine with detection thru glass as it uses a pixel base detection ) to cover my front yard and street.... while I save the battery powered cameras to cover the entrances which get less traffic so battery life is good.

KyleX
Aspirant
Aspirant

Interesting! Thanks again. Yes I assume batteries will be depleted but so far the impact seems minimal, though have only had them on this setting for a few days (week at most). I might exclude the street view (but keep our walkway from the street), though I'll consider the Q camera too (just Q, right, not the Q Plus?). Do you have a paid subscription? I check regularly so am hoping even if I use a Q for the street that I can still stay within the free limit (7 days/1 gb I think?).

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes. I do have a paid service level..run 12 cameras,

Yes, just the plain Q camera. it looks thru double pane Andersen windows and detects to about 50 ft+., it is in 1080p too. It hooks into your regular home WIFI, so it has it own arming/schedule/etc separate from Arlo base

But if you stay at the 5 or less cams, the Basic ( free) gives you 7 days of storage... BTW, the 1GB limit tho mentioned still hasn't been enforced since Jan 2106 when Netgear removed the usage gauge, so i wouldn't worry

Remember , that d/l is your friend and anything you think you may need, can be download

Also if need be for like vacation, you can go on a paid level per month ( next level saves for 30 days )

KyleX
Aspirant
Aspirant

Great info, very much appreciated! Thank you.