Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
b_k
Luminary
Luminary

Camera is working and has 88% battery life, per phone app.  Computer with Chrome or Microsoft Edge says change batteries.  I can only view the library, not live streaming.  I have cleared cache with both browsers and still nothing.  Any suggestions how to fix?

14 REPLIES 14
Dannybear
Master
Master

If you open chrome in incognito mode does it display the camera status correctly? 

b_k
Luminary
Luminary

I tried that and it doesn't change.  I also had it happen with the phone app after posting this.  I tried to open the battery cover and closed it, but it didn't change.  I ended up taking out the batteries and reinstalling them.  Then I was able to see the live feed.  My Chrome and Edge, never has the correct amount of battery life, however, I have been able to view the live streaming (from the device tab) with either one plus the phone app.  This is troublesome not having the live feed available.  

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@b_k wrote:

I ended up taking out the batteries and reinstalling them.  Then I was able to see the live feed.  

That suggests the livestreaming issue was due to an issue in the camera, not the browser (since rebooting resolved it).  If it happens again, you might try restarting the base from the app (or browser) first.

@b_k wrote:

My Chrome and Edge, never has the correct amount of battery life

Not sure where Arlo is on fixing this, but it's been a problem for a while.  They appear to be caching the battery status (and possibly some other status) in the browser.  You can do things to refresh the battery status - I think briefly livestreaming should do it, if not then turning the camera off/on should do it. 

Using incognito mode in the browser should work around it, since it isn't using the cache or cookies.  It is possible to set up the browser to automatically clear the my.arlo.com cache and cookies when you exit - if you do that, I think the battery status will be correctly shown.  @Dannybear has done this, and can provide more guidance if you need it.

b_k
Luminary
Luminary

I just looked on my computer after taking the batteries out and back again, and it stills says 'change batteries' therefore, no live streaming, but the library is visible.  Arlo sent me this camera in April due to me contacting a souce that claimed to be Arlo but wasn't.  I don't have any support for this camera, even though it is only 4+ months old.  

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@b_k wrote:

I just looked on my computer after taking the batteries out and back again, and it stills says 'change batteries' therefore, no live streaming, but the library is visible.

Have you tried incognito mode in the browser?

b_k
Luminary
Luminary

Yes, I tried incognito first thing and there was no change.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@b_k wrote:

Yes, I tried incognito first thing and there was no change.

ok.  The VMC3030 has the 4 CR123 batteries, correct?  Do you have another set of batteries you can try?

b_k
Luminary
Luminary

Yes, I buy 12 energizers at a time.  CR123.  There was 88% battery life.  The phone app tells the actual life, however, I had to take them out and put them in again for it to register the battery life.  I haven't had that happen with the phone app before.  That just started.  Also, my phone app when I was trying to view the library would only give me a green dot and not open the video.  However, Arlo never responded to their email I was sent for that after they sent me this camera in April as a replacement.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@b_k wrote:

The phone app tells the actual life, however, I had to take them out and put them in again for it to register the battery life. 

Yes, I get that.  I'm still thinking trying another set of batteries might be a good idea.  Though if you have another PC/MAC to try, then I'd also suggest that.

b_k
Luminary
Luminary

I put in a new set of batteries; the phone app shows 100%.  I have a pc that has windows 7.  (I currently use a pc with windows 10)  I logged in to my account and it also says 'change batteries'.   So, I guess this replacement has its issues.  

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@b_k wrote:

So, I guess this replacement has its issues.  

Or the browser interface has issues.  Tagging @JamesC and @ShayneS in case they have troubleshooting suggestions.

b_k
Luminary
Luminary

Thank you for tagging them.  I also use Microsoft Edge and Chrome on both pc's.  I also thing this replacement has issues.  I hope it doesn't get worse.  I do understand that when they send out a replacement, they are refurbished units.  As long as I can still record and view the library, that is the most important.  I did like the live streaming for when I am away to see what is going on.  Lots of theft in my area.  Again, thank you.

Dannybear
Master
Master

Just an update to the workarounds for the web portal issue is that they no longer work.

neither incognito/private mode or cleaning data cookies, so clearing the my.arlo.com cookies on exit will not work.

b_k
Luminary
Luminary

Thank you for that info.  However, my phone app also says change batteries, but then it does change after a second.  I do turn off my camera during the day to save the batteries, (I don't need the recordings for during the day)  Since I was told that there is a problem with my camera, I am now going to leaving it ON and open the battery case to I don't have to turn it OFF.   With if off, if it does say, 'change batteries', then I cannot turn it back on at nighttime.  So, I am hoping that this will help keep it working when I need it.  (The battery cover has always been hard to open, from the first time I received it back in April)