Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
RProsser
Tutor
Tutor

Hello. Has there been any base station update in the last week or so? Is there any to test to see if my base station is faulty?

You see, twice in the last 7 days, my base station has suddenly lost connection with my router. Since my purchase from Costco a few years back, nothing has been moved or modified to the Arlo equipment or the house's network. Arlo worked fine until a week ago while every other WiFi device stays connected and there are no issues with the router or modem.

A week ago, when I first investigated the WiFi-disconnected Arlo base unit, I saw the power and camera lights were green, but the internet light was off. After turning the base station on and off, it reconnected to WiFi and I did not have to re-initialize the cameras and all worked well -- then the connection dropped again today.

I tried emailing tech support, but all I get when I click send is: "Something went wrong, Please contact support team."

Thank you in advance. : )

8 REPLIES 8
Streak2
Master Master
Master

Try and restart the router to which the base is attached. If that does not work then try again to contact support.

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx or 1 (408) 638 3750

RProsser
Tutor
Tutor

Streat2: thank you for your reply. I should mention that the router and modem have been rebooted in the last few days. 

Also, I just tried emailing tech support again. Again, I got: "Something went wrong, Please contact support team." Frustrating. 

I thought the phone number was only for people with existing warranties ... mine is what, 2 or 3 years old now. 

Streak2
Master Master
Master

See here https://community.arlo.com/t5/Firmware-Release-Notes/Arlo-Base-Station-VMB3000-VMB4000-1-12-0-1-2794...

to see if you have the latest firmware.

Last resort is to remove the cameras from the app, remove the base, factory reset the base and then re-install.

Reset the Arlo Base Station to Factory Settings
Performing a factory reset returns your base station values to the default
settings. It also removes the serial number from your Arlo account.
To perform a factory reset on your base station:
1. Use a straightened paper clip to press and hold the Reset button on the back
of the base station for about 10 seconds.
When the base station reset completes, the LEDs on the front of the base
station blink amber. When the LEDs stop blinking amber, your base station
reboots. The base station is removed from your Arlo account.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

First, the Arlo wireless camera systems have absolutely nothing to do with your WiFi. It only uses the Ethernet cable to connect the base to the router.

Next, support is best handled through chat or phone. Email is supposedly only available when chat isn't but, as you've seen, it generally doesn't work at all. You have a better chance of getting chat to work although there have been numerous complaints about that not working, either.

If the factory reset described above doesn't work, I would change the Ethernet cable and router port on the off chance that one of those is the problem. Otherwise, since the system is out of warranty, I'd suggest buying a new base.

RProsser
Tutor
Tutor

jguerdat : thanks for the reply. I mashed-up my thoughts when posting this, but yes, I realize that the base station is connected by Cat 5 cable to the router. When I was referring to WiFi in my post, what I meant was that the base was not connected to the cameras, apparently because the base was not connected to the router. Sorry for the confusion. 

I have rebooted everything on the system, so to speak, and I will see how long the cameras stay connected to the base station, etc. Thanks again. : )

jrodje
Aspirant
Aspirant
I’m having the exact same issue. I’ve done all the recommended steps. When trying to add new devices I’m unable to find the base station.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

New install or issues with an existing system? Exactly what steps have you tried? What do you see for the base LEDs? Gotta have green for both power and Internet.

jrodje
Aspirant
Aspirant

It's an existing system and all lights were green. I just did the factory reset and it seems to have fixed the issue.