Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
BEJ
Aspirant
Aspirant

Since a few days I have problem with "Direct Storage Access" in the app I cannot get the "switch" to enable direct access to stay enabled, as soon as I switch on, it switch of directly. anyone experience this, I can watch live videos and if I connect the external disc to PC I can view the videos. The USB symbol in the app is black but grey in the www.arlo.com and the switch for "record locally is green but faded out and I cannot turn off or on.

Best answers
  • ShayneS
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

Hi @Roman119 

I am waiting on more information from the team. I will update the thread as soon as possible. 

Thank you 

• ShayneS
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

Thank you all for the additional feedback. The team was notified and I will continue to provide you with updates as I receive more info. 

114 REPLIES 114
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@Roman119 

This should be resolved soon. I will update this thread as soon as I have more info from the team. 

Nik64
Initiate
Initiate

Really embarrassing seeing all these messages still unanswered since many months, without a strong fix from Arlo. I have an account with Verisure and 4 ultra with hub, and struggling like everyone with this direct storage switch. I would just like to remind that everyone paid good money for a feature that we can’t use. I’ll spend my time to rate them as low as I can, and discourage people to buy them. It really looks like they want us to subscribe for the remaining camera by not fixing this bug…

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

There was a fix released with the latest iOS app update v4.10 

Can you try updating to the latest version and test agin. if you do not see the update you can force it by removing and re-installing the Arlo app. 

shochan
Aspirant
Aspirant

Update the newest iOS version.

The Direct storage access in storage setting still can not open…what’s the IT team doing? Such a small bug…how long need to fix it? I’m a promoter before because of the data privacy control is better with arlo… but I’m starting to ask people don’t consider arlo now…

ravi007
Aspirant
Aspirant

Now after upgrading application I don’t even see “Direct storage access “ option

ravi007_0-1698903189445.png

SkitSur
Aspirant
Aspirant

It's the same for me, the button disappeared from both hubs, not visible in the library either

ravi007
Aspirant
Aspirant

it looks like the proper testing wasn't conducted before releasing this update. Is it possible to get more details when it will be fixed ?

SkitSur
Aspirant
Aspirant

Shouldn't it be possible to install to previous firmware that worked until the problem is resolved?

aadasme
Guide
Guide

 Thanks for the update, however if I go in the App Store it tells me my app is up to date, and it is not v4.10 (see photo).

IMG_6195.jpeg

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Thank you for the update, I have notified the team and I will report back with more info. 

ArloUserNL
Aspirant
Aspirant

IMG_5402.png

IMG_5405.png

 I do see a new option for direct storage access. Now I can see my indoor camera local recorded videos from the smarthub view under direct storage access. This was not visable in the previous version. However these videos from my indoor camera were already visable in the feed section. I think there are two issues. The problem I also have is that my wired doorbell (previously attached to a different verisure/arlo account) will record videos on the smarthub but I’m unable to see them in the feed and in the (in this firmware) newly added direct storage access section as seen in the screenshot I can see the new event but I’m unable to open the file. Still this latest test event isn’t visable in my feed. Hope this info helps with troubleshooting

ArloUserNL
Aspirant
Aspirant

A little addition. The doorbell test event is now visable and downloadable from the direct storage access section from my smarthub. Only not visable in the feed seems to be my only problem. Also there is no record button when I open the live feed. Not sure if this is a current function but I read something about this button on ther community treads when I was troubleshooting this issue

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ArloUserNL wrote:

A little addition. The doorbell test event is now visable and downloadable from the direct storage access section from my smarthub. Only not visable in the feed seems to be my only problem. Also there is no record button when I open the live feed. Not sure if this is a current function but I read something about this button on ther community treads when I was troubleshooting this issue

The doorbell requires an Arlo Secure subscription for both "Feed" and Manual recording, as these both are using cloud storage.

Legacy cameras (like pro, pro 2) came with 7 days of free cloud storage, but Arlo stopped offering that on new models back in 2018.  All the currently sold cameras need a subscription for cloud storage.

ArloUserNL
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ok, but what’s the point of buying an smarthub for local storage usage with app access if it is not intuitive to use. Sounds a bit to much like a “how do we get more and more use of the cloud” business model. Hope Arlo would reconsider this model. Make it a hybrid model where customers can choose between a cloud model and a local model (buying products instead of license subscriptions). Now I buy a physical local product for a lot of money with practical no use. I really try to be positive with vendors but please don’t make it too hard for us as customers. So in summary. I bought three products and like to use them as what I can expect. No trics, no sneaky business models. I’m open for discussion how to create and handle customer focused business models.

shochan
Aspirant
Aspirant

Totally agree with you, one of the main reason I choose Arlo is because of the local storage.

But now you told me I need to pay subscription...that's a lie to all customer.

ravi007
Aspirant
Aspirant

Which app version are you using ? as i have upgraded to 4.10 but i don't see any option to enable for direct storage access which was available earlier but not working.

ravi007
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, subscription for cloud storage but not for local storage. I am talking about issues with local storage access, i don't need any free Arlo cloud storage.

shochan
Aspirant
Aspirant

It's under devices -> choose your hub station -> storage settings 

There is a button named " Direct Storage Access" 

But even after you turn it on, it will turn off itself immediately.

ravi007
Aspirant
Aspirant

yes, but that button is not visible once you upgrade to Arlo secure app to v4.10. i have posted screenshot in my previous comment.

ravi007_0-1699022177781.png

ArloUserNL
Aspirant
Aspirant

Do

ArloUserNL
Aspirant
Aspirant

Do you have the feed option in the app? Did you remove (fully close and reopen) the app and reinstall it? It helped me in previous attempts 

ravi007
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, several times 

ArloUserNL
Aspirant
Aspirant

I thought a little more about this. Why is my indoor camera videos now visable in feed and direct storage access (after update and no subscription) and my doorbell not. This seems a bit inconsistent. For my doorbell, basically I only what a recorded video and/or message when someone rings the bell. I don’t need the motion detection of packet detection. If I need it later I would be more then happy to pay for extra services but I’m a little disappointed that we as customers seems to be cut of basic functionalities. Or at least what you minimal should expect from a doorbell with app support and local storage.  So I’m still hopeful this context will Arlo rethink what should and shouldn’t be behind a monthly paywall. Thanks for reconsidering 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ArloUserNL wrote:

Why is my indoor camera videos now visable in feed and direct storage access (after update and no subscription) and my doorbell not. 

Legacy cameras (like the Pro and Pro 2) were sold with 7 days of free cloud storage.  Arlo still provides that with those cameras.

However, Arlo stopped offering that on new camera models back in 2018, and all the currently sold cameras (including the doorbells) today require a subscription to get cloud storage.

Roman119
Apprentice
Apprentice

IMG_2151.PNG

Hello. tell me where the "direct storage access" function disappeared?