Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

VMB 4540 Local storage direct access

Discussion stats
BEJ
Aspirant
Aspirant

Since a few days I have problem with "Direct Storage Access" in the app I cannot get the "switch" to enable direct access to stay enabled, as soon as I switch on, it switch of directly. anyone experience this, I can watch live videos and if I connect the external disc to PC I can view the videos. The USB symbol in the app is black but grey in the www.arlo.com and the switch for "record locally is green but faded out and I cannot turn off or on.

Best answers
  • ShayneS
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

Hi @Roman119 

I am waiting on more information from the team. I will update the thread as soon as possible. 

Thank you 

• ShayneS
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

Thank you all for the additional feedback. The team was notified and I will continue to provide you with updates as I receive more info. 

114 REPLIES 114
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Have you rebooted the hub? For the phone, rebooting it and reinstalling the app may help.

BEJ
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ok, I have restarted both hub and phone but I haven't deleted and reinstalled the app in the phone, maybe I should try this after I tried to reboot the hub again. 

BEJ
Aspirant
Aspirant

Tried to reboot the hub, no luck. Removed and reinstalled the app in the iphone again but did not help, I cannot make the switch "Direct Storage" to stay green, like something with the network...

BEJ
Aspirant
Aspirant

Done, I cannot make the switch stay green on "Direct Access, like something with the local network

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

FIrst, local recordings can't be accessed from a computer, just the app.

I would first copy any videos you want to keep onto the computer. Reinsert it into the hub and try formatting the drive. If you can't do that, put it back on the computer and search for "windows fat32 format tool" using your browser. Download and install one and then use that program to format the drive. See if that makes a difference.

BEJ
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you, I understand that I can only access through my phone so this is okay, the External disc that I connect to the hub with a USB is working fine and been formated first in the PC, did not work and then with the app in the phone when connected to the hub and works fine, If I take the external disc from the hub to the PC after cameras recorded then the videos are recorded on the disc correctly. My problem must be that the switch "Direct Storage Access" will not stay green when trying to enable it and I cannot figure out why?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The only other suggestion is to remove the hub and any cameras connected to it from your account and start fresh. You might also want to hold the hub's reset button until the LED flashes amber before trying to onboard it again.

BEJ
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you, I tried this quite early on in the trouble shooting but I cannot get around the Direct Storage Access that refuse to stay enabled, it cannot work without this I'm sure but I don't understand what affect this go off as soon as I let of the finger....Something is not allowing the function Direct Storage Access....

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Do you have a subscription? If so, use Settings, Support (Center) to select your camera with a sub which will give you official support options.

BEJ
Aspirant
Aspirant

Okay, thank you for trying, I don't have a subscription and that was the reason for choosing Arlo, that I could manage without but I understand your point.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Purchase a monthly single camera plan so you can use support and then cancel when done.

Roman119
Apprentice
Apprentice

Help solve the recording problem. In the VMB5000R6 database there is SD Micro, but I can’t make recording with a PC or phone. what to do? Here are screenshots. The Direct Storage Access switch does not work.

2023-07-02_23-58-23.jpg

изображение_viber_2023-07-03_00-03-36-246.jpg

Roman119
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have the same problem, I can’t understand when it appeared. Previously, everything worked flawlessly. Have you solved this problem?

изображение_viber_2023-07-03_00-03-36-246.jpg

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@Roman119 

Please reach out to the Support Team to further investigate this issue you are experiencing. You can find several options for contacting support though the Arlo Mobile App by navigating to Settings/System/Support.

BEJ
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello,

Thank you but when opening the Arlo Mobile app the dialogue  box stating that I have a subscription with Verisure so I must go to Arlo Secure app to manage my cameras, The case is that I have an active Verisure subscription with only 1 Arlo camera and then I added 4 more but not on Verisure subscription so I cannot use the Arlo Mobile App. Somehow I must be able to reach specific support on the Direct storage function for the cameras without Verisure subscription, it worked really well for a long period so something has changed. Is there not a support email I can send the case to? All cameras has been working fine in the library in the Arlo Secure app, no issue at all (except for the 4 "new" cameras is not in your cloud service).

Jvaqserr
Aspirant
Aspirant

Exactly the same problem since few days.

Same Hub.

System worked perfectly until last updates. No video in the library, even if they are in the USB (verified in the PC), and it is not possible to switch on the Storage Direct Access button in the App (iOS).

Reset the Hub, remove the App, reinstall from 0 everything and Storage Access button remain off. When I activate it, automatically it changes to off position.

I think it is a problem of firmware/app.

I am not confident that they will solve it in a short timeframe. as the lastest version of the App was released yesterday (5th of July).

Jvaqserr
Aspirant
Aspirant

Exactly the same problem since few days.

Different Hub, but same effect.

System worked perfectly until last updates. No video in the library, even if they are in the USB (verified in the PC), and it is not possible to switch on the Storage Direct Access button in the App (iOS).

Reset the Hub, remove the App, reinstall from 0 everything and Storage Access button remain off. When I activate it, automatically it changes to off position. I think it is a problem of firmware/app.

I am not confident that they will solve it in a short timeframe. as the lastest version of the App was released yesterday (5th of July).

BEJ
Aspirant
Aspirant

I agree that something changed and it could firmware or similar and it is okay if you just know they work on it and have a time plan for solution and deployment also understand Arlo if they prioritize paying subscription customer and let "us" wait so just info about what is going on would be appreciated. 

SkitSur
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same problem, even bought a new VMB5000R6 and a new sd micro but the problem remains on all four units.

aadasme
Guide
Guide

Hello, I am having an issue with viewing locally recorded videos on the Arlo app library.  In the past I could view the videos fine but suddenly this stop working.  The videos are recording correctly as I can view them on the SD card but not through the app.  Furthermore, I cannot select the Direct Storage Access option within the app, when I select it "on" it pops back to "off".  I noticed within the camera rules that there is a circle with an exclamation point, not sure if this has anything to do with the issue.

arlo1.jpgarlo2.jpg

BEJ
Aspirant
Aspirant

We are several now that posted this issue so I really hope they have a look at this.

aadasme
Guide
Guide

Same issue here, the direct storage access option does not stay on.  I've already contacted support but the issue has not been resolved!   arlo1.jpg

Roman119
Apprentice
Apprentice

Everyone has one and also a problem, are you going to eliminate it somehow?

couscous
Initiate
Initiate

I have the same issue since a few days on both my smart hubs. 
Tried rebooting, uninstalling etc. Nothing works. 
Looks like a firmware or app issue. 
Really getting tired of this..

Arlo Ultra 2 Wireless Security Camera Ultra SmartHub VMB5000