Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

VCA100-10 Question About Inviting People To View Camera

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
gorsetr
Aspirant
Aspirant

I use the Arlo camera to share puppies with clients.  When originally purchased in 2016, it was really awesome and still is - however, can someone tell me on my "old" Arlo, where I go to allow people to see the camera?  I downloaded the most current firmware and it ran overnight once I connect the camera to the base station successfully.  I can see it is working, but no where in my options as the admin can I invite people to watch the puppies. Do I have to get a subscription?   I hope that I do not have to purchase a new camera, because there is really nothing wrong with the one that I have.

2 REPLIES 2
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

FWIW, I don't quite get the VCA100-10 in the title, since it does not appear to be an Arlo model.

@gorsetr wrote:

can someone tell me on my "old" Arlo, where I go to allow people to see the camera? 

...but no where in my options as the admin can I invite people to watch the puppies. Do I have to get a subscription?   I hope that I do not have to purchase a new camera, because there is really nothing wrong with the one that I have.

It is a security camera, not a general-purpose webcam.  Giving clients access to the livestream is possible, but clumsy.  It might be workable for you, but really isn't ideal.  It might be easier for you to download videos, and then post them on youtube or some other streaming platform, and let the clients watch the stored video instead of watching the puppies live. 

You could set up one or two  "Friend accounts" that share the camera, and then give the clients the username/password.  They could log into my.arlo.com instead of downloading the app.  Only one client can use an account at a time (if someone else logs in, the person logged in now would be logged out).

The catch here is the need for two-factor authentication.  When the clients want to watch the puppies, you'd need to authorize their login. A clumsy workaround is to also give them the password to the friend email account - then they could get the login code themselves using the email verification. 

You'd need to give them instructions for all this, as it isn't as easy as just giving them a link to a website.

gorsetr
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thank you StephenB for your response to me with regard to my older Arlo camera.  I do appreciate the time you took to give me the information you did.

To be honest there were no items that I could find to match this. Just last summer I was able to allow my customers which is about 10 people to view the puppies live. I do not have the time to download videos and post them elsewhere.  Puppy buyers want to see their new "baby" at any time of the day or not.  

Controlling who I gave permission by their email account was quite satisfactory for my customers to see a small moment in time of their new puppy's daily growth and development.

I have found that those that still had the app on their phones are still able to see the cam.  Any "old" users that deleted the app I just gave them my account information, which sent me a message saying someone was trying to get in and I approved them.  It worked!  

I do appreciate the information you provided to me.  While I get that these are security cameras, there are a myriad of different ways people employ them.

I so appreciate you answering my questions regarding this matter.

Have a great day.  Thank you.

Warm regards, 

Peggy DaValt