Utility Vehicle Security

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Apexfiber
Aspirant
Aspirant

Im preparing to head to Florida to conduct storm damage assessments.  I have a F-450 utility/bucket truck and 7x12 fiber splicing lab (trailer).  Tip to tail is 42'.  I'd like to mount a camera on each to both discourage and document potential looters.  While I'm in the trailer working to restore local utility service some residents in the past have helped themselves to equipment off the truck.  Despite being 20' away (5kw Cummins generator to power the trailer while working) this activity goes on unheard.

Given the conditions Internet and Cellular Service will be nonexistant until I'm able to restore them. Am I able to view the cameras on a pc if the base station is plugged directly into my MS Surface?  Will any of these products short of a wired system work for this purpose. 

Thanks for your help.

6 REPLIES 6
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

To be honest... without cellular and internet you'd be hard pressed to make Arlo cameras work well if at all.

In this setup, you'l be better off with a wired system

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
manfredz
Hero
Hero

cant see how plugging the base station into your surface will give it an internet connection.  Also exterior mounted  cams easier to steal, but battery operated cams wont detect motion through glass

Apexfiber
Aspirant
Aspirant

I never suggested it would, they want to monetize their software which is the only reason they require an internet connection. 

I was looking for a battery operated & wireless option that would work solely via a wifi or bluetooth connection.  I have no need to upload or record. At this point it seems GoPro is the better option

manfredz
Hero
Hero

your statement about them wanting to monetize doesn't even begin to make sense.

enjoy your gopro which is about as far from an arlo as you can get.

Apexfiber
Aspirant
Aspirant

What part is confusing you? Internet doesnt facilitate communication between the cameras and the base station, wifi does.  So why the need for an internet connection? Why not allow saving locally via a hard drive.

They want people using their app and the potential for the monetized cloud service. Seemed straight forward to me.

manfredz
Hero
Hero

only the Arlo Pro base station allows saving to local drive connected to it.

Most users finf the free 7 day cloud storage plenty, so no money being made there.