Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
iSage
Luminary
Luminary

I have 3 ARLO Wireless cams, and 2 ARLO Q's.

I just updated the Arlo App (to version 2.4.7, dated March 7, 2018), on thankfully only one of my 3 iOS devices (my Apple iPad), because unless I know a new version works on one device, I wait to upgrade on my other devices.
  Can NOT view LIVE on any of my 3 ARLO wireless cams!  The little cog wheel spins when I click the LIVE button, and then the icons appear across the bottom and the little man icon gets greyed out as usual, but NO LIVE viewing!  My husband and I stood like fools testing each wireless cam, dancing around and waving, and NOTHING!!!
   It works on my desktop/Windows browser if I view live there, but not on the updated app at all! (the ARLO Q's are working live, just not on any of the wireless cams.
 - I restarted the base station, to no avail.

- I restarted my iPad, to no avail.
 - I then uninstalled the app on my iPad and re-downloaded/re-reinstalled it on my iPad, to no avail.  It's only working on my 2 iPhones because I didn't update their apps!
   Besides not being able to view LIVE with this new app version, if I tried to enlarge the screen, it goes totally black!!!!

Help please!  TIA.

~Susan

123 REPLIES 123
onize
Aspirant
Aspirant

Am having the same problem as everyone else and have done all the same things trying to fix it.  I did not update the app (so it must have done an auto update) and am on the iphone 5s with ios 10.3.3

Have had the Arlo for 6 weeks and was happy until this happened.  Hope this issue will be resolved soon as this is really bad advertising for them

freddog
Guide
Guide

After some more playing around with my Arlo first gen wireless camera & app ver 2.4.7 on my iPhone 7 w/ IOS 10, I've discovered that the camera's live stream is, indeed, making it to the app but, for some reason, is not displaying in-app (until, in my case, after a 45-90 sec delay).  Here's what I did...

After signing into the app, I wait for the display to change from "Getting status" to the "Live" button in the middle of the display.  I press on "Live" and, after a few seconds, a stationary snapshot of the camera's feed displays. The live stream, however, does not display.  I then press record and, as the seconds tick away on the recording, there is no change to the stationary snapshot that displays.  I stop the recording and go into Library to view what recorded.  The camera's live stream is recorded just fine even though the live feed did not display in the app.  This means that the live camera stream is getting through to the app but, for some reason, the app does not display it.

I'm guessing that, in the case of the first gen wireless camera, some sort of function call is made when you press "Live".  That function call fails and takes 45-90 secs to timeout.  After the failed function call times out, the camera's live stream then displays in the app.

freddog
Guide
Guide

Arlo first gen wireless camera, app ver 2.4.7, iPhone 7, IOS 10

After some more playing around, I've discovered the camera's live stream is, indeed, making it to the app but, for some reason, the live feed does not display (until, in my case, after a 45-90 sec delay).  Here's what I did...

I sign into the Arlo app and wait for the display to change from "Getting status" to the "Live" button in the middle of the display.

After pressing "Live", a stationary snapshot, of the camera's stream, is displayed.  The live stream does not display.

I press record and, as the seconds tick away on the recording, there is no change to the display.

I stop recording and go into Library to view what recorded.

The camera's live stream, that should have displayed but didn't, is recorded just fine.

This means that the live stream is getting through to the app but is not displayed.  I'm guesing that, with the first gen wireless cam & app ver 2.4.7, a function call is made as soon as you press "Live".  That function call fails and takes 45-90 secs to time out.  After the failed function call times out, the camera's live stream displays in the app.

freddog
Guide
Guide

After some more playing around, I've discovered the camera's live stream is, indeed, making it to the app but, for some reason, the live feed does not display (until, in my case, after a 45-90 sec delay).  Here's what I did...

I sign into the Arlo app and wait for the display to change from "Getting status" to the "Live" button in the middle of the display.

After pressing "Live", a stationary snapshot, of the camera's stream, is displayed.  The live stream does not display.

I press record and, as the seconds tick away on the recording, there is no change to the display.

The camera's live stream, that should have displayed but didn't, is recorded just fine.

This means that the live stream is getting through to the app but is not displayed.  I'm guesing that, with the first gen wireless cam & app ver 2.4.7, a function call is made as soon as you press "Live".  That function call fails and takes 45-90 secs to time out.  After the failed function call times out, the camera's live stream displays in the app.

iSage
Luminary
Luminary

@freddogwrote:

Yep, I noticed the same behavior myself, @freddog, when I hit the Record button on each of my 3 wireless cams yesterday..

If I click the button to Record, it actually records what happened in real time (though I am not seeing it on my iPad screen in the app), when I play back that manually-made video in the Library!  It just will not show whatsoever, the LIVE streaming view!

~Susan

iSage
Luminary
Luminary

Yes, @freddog - I noticed the same exact behavior myself, when I played around with my 3 wireless cams yesterday as well.

Still no LIVE streaming view since updating app on Friday,  but if I click the button to manually Record on any of my 3 cams, it actually records what happened in real time (though I am still not seeing it on my iPad screen in the app), when I play back that manually-made video in the Library!  It just will not show whatsoever, the LIVE streaming view!

~Susan

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

I've escalated this topic to engineering with all the details listed here. I will post an update as soon as I have more information.

Is anyone experiencing this issue on a device with iOS11 or higher?

JamesC

MarkH123
Apprentice
Apprentice
Not only is liveview not working on my first generation Arlo cams but I'm no longer getting emails when motion is dectected..I still get push notifications on my iPhone--everything else is working ok..weird..definitely the app 2.4.7 update ..my ios is 10.3.3 on my iPhone..
brh
Master
Master

@MarkH123

What is strange is that many people are having these problems while others are not. Very confusing. I am not recommending anyone update their ios software or the newest Arlo app, but I am on the ios 11.2.6 and Arlo 2.4.7 and my system is working perfectly. I do understand the fear about upgrading until these problems are resolved.

Brian

iSage
Luminary
Luminary

@JamesC...

While I realize that not everyone has been effected by/locked out of LIVE viewing after upgrading the app to version 2.4.7, one doesn't know if that will happen to them until after installing 2.4.7.

I was wondering then, why is version 2.4.7 is still available in the iOS App store and hasn't been taken down while being investigated?  I certainly wouldn't want any other ARLO wireless owner to lose their LIVE stream on their cameras as I and many others have on our own cams.

~Susan

brh
Master
Master

@iSage

Or better yet, have a way to be able to revert back to a previous version if they are being adversely affected by an update.

Brian

iSage
Luminary
Luminary

@brhwrote:

@iSage

Or better yet, have a way to be able to revert back to a previous version if they are being adversely affected by an update.

Brian

Excellent point, Brian! From your mouth to the engineers' ears! 🙂

~Susan

37Ron
Aspirant
Aspirant
I had same problem with live views on 2.4.7 while running ios10. I updated my phone to ios11 & now my live views are working properly
iSage
Luminary
Luminary

@37Ronwrote:
I had same problem with live views on 2.4.7 while running ios10. I updated my phone to ios11 & now my live views are working properly
-----------------------------------------

Consider yourself very lucky, @37Ron

My friend has only one device - an iPhone 8, running iOS version  11.2.6, and she has NOT been able to LIVE view any of her cameras since she updated the ARLO app to 2.4.7 on Friday! 

For the past 5 days, she has not been able to view what is going on when she gets a push alert/email notification, or if she just wants to monitor her home, especially when she's at work.  She lives alone, and as I said she has NO other device, so essentially, it's as if she's had no security cams at all in last 5 days.

Five days a long time...she's already told me she's now replacing all the ARLO wirelss cams with NEST cams.

~Susan

iSage
Luminary
Luminary

@37Ronwrote:

---------------------------

Consider yourself very lucky, @37Ron
     My friend has only one device - an iPhone 8, running iOS version  11.2.6, and she has NOT been able to LIVE view any of her cameras since she updated the ARLO app to 2.4.7 on Friday!
    For the past 5 days, she has not been able to view what is going on when she gets a push alert/email notification, or if she just wants to monitor her home, especially when she's at work.  She lives alone, and as I said she has NO other device, so essentially, it's as if she's had no security cams at all in last 5 days.
   Five days a long time...she's already told me she's now replacing all the ARLO wirelss cams with NEST cams.

~Susan

iSage
Luminary
Luminary

@JamesCwrote:

I've escalated this topic to engineering with all the details listed here. I will post an update as soon as I have more information.

Is anyone experiencing this issue on a device with iOS11 or higher?

JamesC

-------------------------------------

My friend has only one device - an iPhone 8, running iOS version  11.2.6, and she too, has NOT been able to LIVE view any of her cameras since she updated the ARLO app to 2.4.7 on Friday!
    For the past 5 days, she has not been able to view what is going on when she gets a push alert/email notification, or if she just wants to monitor her home, especially when she's at work.  She lives alone, and as I said she has NO other device, so essentially, it's as if she's had no security cams at all in last 5 days. She's already told me she's now going replacing all her ARLO wireless cams with NEST cams

Five days a long time - any news updates/ETA from the Netgear engineers at all, @JamesC  ??
~Susan

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Engineering is actively investigating this issue. I do not have any updates currently but will post here as soon as I have more information.

JamesC

iSage
Luminary
Luminary

@JamesCwrote:

Engineering is actively investigating this issue. I do not have any updates currently but will post here as soon as I have more information.

JamesC

Thank you for the update on the update, @JamesC 🙂

~Susan

Marcel1972
Aspirant
Aspirant

Im not sure yet if this is fluke or fix but I happened to change batteries on the only accessible cam and the black screen went away and zoom worked. Won't be able to know for sure on others until I drag out ladder and swap..

jpjonesy2
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm having an issue veiwing a live feed on my Iphone. All it shows is a frozen pic or if you got to fuul screen it's only a black screen. Any ideas?

lisaclark
Aspirant
Aspirant
Error message says base station is offline. I have rebooted modem and router. Unplugged base station. All lights are solid green. But it still tells me I’m offline.
Bearface
Aspirant
Aspirant
Mine doing exactly same thing. Can't connect from phone or laptop. It dropped offline earlier today. Maybe entire system down
Mycle
Guide
Guide

This appears to be a widespread problem.  My phone and tablet report devices offline or "getting status". Different browsers allow me to view live for a while and then lock me out. No new videos are appearing  in my apps' libraries and I'm not getting notifications but videos are being recorded to local usb storage.

Emptying caches, deleting cookies, changing browser, and/or using private mode sometimes allow me to log in but not much else. It looks like the problems are happening at Netgear's servers but I'm not seeing any useful information coming from them.

It's a mess. It just started for me today but it looks like it's been going on for a number of days for other folks....

brh
Master
Master

@Mycle

Have you tried unplugging the base for one minute then plugging it back in and let the base reboot?

Brian

Shaun9999999
Tutor
Tutor

Yes, we have been experiencing this problem all day. I called the support line and they claimed it was a problem after they updated their app or something related and "their engineers are working on it." In the meantime we have lost all access to our security cameras! There hasn't been a fix that I know of. Please post a solution should you find one...