Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Updated iOS App (2.4.7), killed my LIVE Streaming!

Discussion stats
iSage
Luminary
Luminary

I have 3 ARLO Wireless cams, and 2 ARLO Q's.

I just updated the Arlo App (to version 2.4.7, dated March 7, 2018), on thankfully only one of my 3 iOS devices (my Apple iPad), because unless I know a new version works on one device, I wait to upgrade on my other devices.
  Can NOT view LIVE on any of my 3 ARLO wireless cams!  The little cog wheel spins when I click the LIVE button, and then the icons appear across the bottom and the little man icon gets greyed out as usual, but NO LIVE viewing!  My husband and I stood like fools testing each wireless cam, dancing around and waving, and NOTHING!!!
   It works on my desktop/Windows browser if I view live there, but not on the updated app at all! (the ARLO Q's are working live, just not on any of the wireless cams.
 - I restarted the base station, to no avail.

- I restarted my iPad, to no avail.
 - I then uninstalled the app on my iPad and re-downloaded/re-reinstalled it on my iPad, to no avail.  It's only working on my 2 iPhones because I didn't update their apps!
   Besides not being able to view LIVE with this new app version, if I tried to enlarge the screen, it goes totally black!!!!

Help please!  TIA.

~Susan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

There is a new version of the iOS Arlo Mobile app available in the app store.  Please make sure your Arlo Mobile app is updated to the latest version and let us know if you continue to experience any issues.

Release Notes - iOS App 2.4.8 - 30th March 2018

JamesC

View solution in original post

123 REPLIES 123
Inquiry
Aspirant
Aspirant

After updating to the latest app that included a 15x digital zoom feature (Version 2.47, Released Mar 4, 2018), viewing live video from the app brings up a black screen.  However, when using a web browser, viewing live video works fine.

Has anyone else experienced this situation with the latest app? 

Thoughts appreciated.

brh
Master
Master

@Inquiry

What phone and camera model are you using?

Brian

Marcel1972
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same here

iSage
Luminary
Luminary

@Inquirywrote:

After updating to the latest app that included a 15x digital zoom feature (Version 2.47, Released Mar 4, 2018), viewing live video from the app brings up a black screen.  However, when using a web browser, viewing live video works fine.

Has anyone else experienced this situation with the latest app? 

Thoughts appreciated.

-----------------------------------------------

Having same problem, Inquiry (see my post/thread here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo/Updated-iOS-App-2-4-7-killed-my-LIVE-Streaming/m-p/1522733#M49... ). 

Thankfully, I only updated the app (2.4.7) on only one of my three iOS devices (iPad)  just before, or else I would have no live viewing at all on any device if I wasn't home!  Works on my Windows desktop browser, and works on my 2 iPhones (because I did NOT update their app, thank goodness!).  And if i try to enlarge/zoom the no n-live view, the screen goes totally black as well for me

~Susan

MarkH123
Apprentice
Apprentice
App 2.4.7 also killed my live view on my 4 first gen arlo cams..I can still live view my 1 arlo pro..I also power cycled base etc...I have another iPhone that has app 2.4.6 and it works fine..NETGEAR FIX THIS ISSUE NOW..
Harlo
Aspirant
Aspirant

The iOS 2.4.7 update on iPhone is broken... now I can only see 3 of my 5 cameras, I can't add them back, and yet my un-updated app on my iPad still works as expected, just like yesterday.

Also, my camera names have reverted to their serial numbers and the 'Mode(s)' I have created aren't correctly shown on 2.4.7. 

Still fine on my iPad not as yet 'updated' version.

Please get on this and fix what you broke.

brh
Master
Master

I noticed that there was an ios update this morning that may have fixed the problem as all my cameras are working fine on my iphone 6 in Live view, video recordings and zooming.

Brian

iSage
Luminary
Luminary

No.. the only App version in the iOS in the app store I see is the same exact version dated March 7th, 2018, version 2.4.7!   This (version 2.4.7) is the version that killed my LIVE streaming yesterday when I installed it.

What version app are you now running, brh??

brh
Master
Master

@iSage

Yes. it is 2.4.7. What is strange, is that in the app store, it said that it was updated this morning. Who knows?

Brian

brh
Master
Master

@iSage

Also in the release notes, JamesC has not mentioned anything about the ios version 2.4.7

Brian

iSage
Luminary
Luminary

Where are they "release notes" you refer to Brian? Could you please post a link here?

I'd also like to know why none of the moderators have replied to this thread, or the other two threads I saw posted by other customers, who complained of the same problem. 

I see newer posts that were answered by James, not pertaining to the problem with App 2.4.7 killing Live feed, but no reply at all for this thread or the others I see.  And when I look at reviews in the iOS App store, others have also mentioned that they no longer have Live streaming with this (2.4.7) version.

Between the server outage for all those hours the other day and now this buggy 2.4.7 app, I am really frustrated and upset and not a happy customer.

~Susan

iSage
Luminary
Luminary

Let me just add to my original post/thread - that not only did this new update (which I downloaded to my iPad only), to the iOS app (2.4.7) totally kill my LIVE streaming/viewing on my 3 original ARLO Wireless cameras, but when motion is detected, I no longer get the push notification alerts either!

Thankfully I did not update either mine or my husband's iPhone 6 phones, so for now, I am able to get push notifications on the phones, or else I'd be sitting here with an expensive "security" system around my house that can "see" nothing!!

brh
Master
Master

@iSage

The Release notes can be accessed from the home page on this site on the green banner on the left hand side. But, here is the link.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Firmware-Release-Notes/bd-p/arlo-release-notes

I am not sure if the iPad works differently from the iPhone - probably is different because often there are iPhone apps that don't work on the iPad.

I am npt suggestiong that you upgrade on your iPhone until you have any answers, but mine is working perfectly on my wife's iPhone 6+ and my iPhone 6.

You could ask your question to @JamesC and hopefully Monday he will respond. Ask him if the app is different on the iPad vs the iPhone.

A little later I will test on my wife's iPad and respond back to you.

Brian

brh
Master
Master

@iSage

I am the bearer of bad news for you. I just updated my wife's iPad from version 2.4.6 to version 2.4.7 and everything is working fine on it.

Sorry

Brian

iSage
Luminary
Luminary

@brhwrote:

@iSage

I am the bearer of bad news for you. I just updated my wife's iPad from version 2.4.6 to version 2.4.7 and everything is working fine on it.

Sorry

Brian

It must have something to do then with possibly the iOS version of the Apple product - that's all I can think of.  I appreciate you getting back to me...

My iPad is running iOS version 10.3.3 (I know version 11 is the latest though).

But then again, my friend with the same non-live streaming problem on her iPhone that I referenced in my previous post, said her iPhone is indeed running the latest iOS version of 11, so I don't know what to think any more.

As I have mentioned before in this thread, I have deleted/uninstalled the 2.4.7 errant app several times, restarted my device, restarted my base station, I even went so far as to restart my modem and wireless router - I've done everything I can think of and still NO Live streaming and NO push notifications for my iPad. 

Is there no one/moderator who replies on these boards over the weekend at all?  

~Susan

parsrgood
Apprentice
Apprentice

Yes, I have the same problem since update on my iPad a few days ago. I didn't update my iPhone and it works fine. Getting the live stream is iffy. And when it does come up the screen goes blank when you expand the screen. I've repeatedly tried to contact netgear support without success. I have five cameras that are used for security. Security that at the moment that is not provided. Netgear doesn't seem concerned or care that they have a faulty product.

parsrgood
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have all the same problems on my iPad. Getting a live stream is a crap shoot and if it does link with the camera the screen goes blank when you expand it. All of this happened after a recent update and my phone is fine because I thankfully didn't update it. I have jumped through all the reboot, reinstall and cross your fingers routine. I have tried several times to contact netgear support with no success. Hard to feel secure with a security system that may or may not be working. It would be nice if netgear would acknowledge their problems and at least let us know they're working on it.

iSage
Luminary
Luminary

@parsrgoodwrote:

I have all the same problems on my iPad. Getting a live stream is a crap shoot and if it does link with the camera the screen goes blank when you expand it. All of this happened after a recent update and my phone is fine because I thankfully didn't update it. I have jumped through all the reboot, reinstall and cross your fingers routine. I have tried several times to contact netgear support with no success. Hard to feel secure with a security system that may or may not be working. It would be nice if netgear would acknowledge their problems and at least let us know they're working on it.

Sorry you are going through the same trouble I am, @parsrgood 😞

I've spent the entire weekend, since Friday, trying to see if I could resolve this myself, because it appears these boards are not moderated on the weekend. So I tried some trouble-shooting on my own. Unfortunately, I have nothing good to report - still no LIVE streaming for me on any of my 3 original wireless cams...and I too, am getting nothing but a total black/blank screen if I try to zoom ANY of my cameras (and that's including my ARLO Q's, which still do stream live)

In addition to all the steps I posted thus far to try to resolve, I also tried logging out of the ARLO app on my iPad, clearing browser's cache and cookies, restarting my iPad for the upteenth time - to no avail.  I even deleted and reinstalled the app (4 times now!), and restarted the base station once again, restarted my modem and restarted my router (a Netgear router! LOL)...all of this became nothing more than yet another lesson in futility, because still NO LIVE streaming on my iPad with app version 2.4.7 on my wireless cams. 

Can't wait for Monday and hopefully will get some answers and resolution.

~Susan

brh
Master
Master

@iSage

I don't know what is going on at Arlo, but I just checked my wife's 3 year old iPad that was updated yesterday to version 2.4.7 and everything is working fine, live view and zoom.

One possible explanation is that last week I updated the speed on my internet to 400mps if that matters. 

Could it be a new way of streaming that requires more speed?

Everyone's guess is as good as mine. We need JamesC to update us on the latest ios update.

Has anyone tried turning off their iPads and then turning them back on?

Brian

iSage
Luminary
Luminary

@brhwrote:

@iSage

I don't know what is going on at Arlo, but I just checked my wife's 3 year old iPad that was updated yesterday to version 2.4.7 and everything is working fine, live view and zoom.

One possible explanation is that last week I updated the speed on my internet to 400mps if that matters. 

Could it be a new way of streaming that requires more speed?

Everyone's guess is as good as mine. We need JamesC to update us on the latest ios update.

Has anyone tried turning off their iPads and then turning them back on?

Brian

Brian, read my post above your last one, which I posted earlier today (Sun. 3/11/18), where I mentioned how many times I deleted/reinstalled the app, restarted my iPad, restarted my base station, restarted my modem and my router, cleared cache & cookies, logged out of app, and did the process of all that over and over again for past 3 days - still to no avail.

Still no LIVE streaming on any of my 3 wireless cams, and if I try to zoom (even on my 2 indoor ARLO Q cams), I get nothing but a totally black/blank screen, though the ARLO Q's are viewing Live.

~Susan

parsrgood
Apprentice
Apprentice

@Brian, as mentioned previously in this thread we have jumped through all of the hoops several times. Reboot, uninstall,reinstall,resync, kneel down in prayer etc. I will say that I doubt that your upgrade to 400 mbp is a factor in this forums subject. In reality you dont need any more than 12-18 mbp to stream HD content. Congrats on your system up and running strong. But...... this is a forum for those of us who are having problems and i wonder why you are at this particuliar forum if everything is good for you. 

freddog
Guide
Guide

Been experience the same live streaming issue since updating to Arlo 2.4.7 for IOS.  I'm using an iPhone 7 with IOS 10.  After signing in to the app and waiting for the display to change from "Getting status" to the "Live" button, in the center of the camera image, I only get an instant snapshot of the camera's live stream.  After that, it then takes from 45 to 90 secs for the live stream feed to begin.

brh
Master
Master

@parsrgood

I was just trying to see if there was any common theme in this problem that possibly we could come up with a solution before JamesC gets back to us. But, there seems to be none, I guess we will have to wait.

Brian

parsrgood
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks Freddog, it's your  kind of response that gives Netgear a better idea of what the problem is.