Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
lyricladanichan
Guide
Guide

What is the USB ports on the back of the Base Station for? 

Will we be able to use a flash drive/external drive/dvr from those ports? 

51 REPLIES 51
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The ports are for future use... not in use at this time for external use

So, answer is 1- planned use, 2- no

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
lyricladanichan
Guide
Guide

How do you know this? 

Link to the soruce, please. 

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

I know this because I was one of the many beta testers back a few months...

On the beta testers board this USB question came up several times and we were given more info as to same.

At this time to my knowlege ( i have no idea what's been decided in the last month ) there were future uses for the USB ports but not now nor at the time of tesing.

This prob should be posted on the wish list  (  https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Idea-Exchange/idb-p/arlo-idea-exchange  )

anthony0perez
Initiate
Initiate

I hope it is for local storage to NAS or something.

Johns152
Initiate
Initiate

My interest is finding out if those USB ports support external hard drives. Would like to save my data locally using my local router, base station and external 2T hard drive. This is available with DLINK, however software has issues.

Without local storage believe ARLO is missing an important part of the package.

If these USB ports are on the Base station are they hooked (HW) and is there (FW) software that can support local storage and date time filing??

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

TBOMK... No, the usb ports while they have power do not support external drives, they ( negear ) stated way back they were for future enhancements... no other info has been forthcoming.

Smiks
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello tomMac,

so when will these "future enhancements" take place because i'm new with arlo and this would be a great inprovement.

thanks, Michael.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

so when will these "future enhancements" take place because i'm new with arlo and this would be a great inprovement.

Wish I could say...  nothing heard yet except from news blips on the internet re using more smart tech to link in.

Turbotom
Aspirant
Aspirant
Some news about the future usb ports ? It would be nice to have it!
jeremy75009
Initiate
Initiate
pouvoir utiliser sur le port USB un dongle WiFi pour connecter la base ARLO à la box internet sans le câble Rj45 serait vraiment un plus !

jeremy75009
Initiate
Initiate
use the usb to connecte the arlo base in wifi with the internet connexion without usine the Rj45
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

No... the USB ports are not fully functional and are planned for future enhancements ( unknown when )

Dudamonster
Aspirant
Aspirant

Any new news on the USB ports yet?

Thanks.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

haven't heard a peep

Hdnitro
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hello Tom. Now that new Arlo Pro is out. Usb flash support? Thanks.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Hdnitro wrote:
Hello Tom. Now that new Arlo Pro is out. Usb flash support? Thanks.

Yes.... But only with the New Arlo BASE.. ( which will be sold separately ) .

It will function like the Q plus,  record to the cloud and usb stick card at same time, if internet drops, will still record local till card filled or in FIFO mode ( deletes oldest files )

j0112358
Initiate
Initiate

I really hope they don't just limit the ability for local storage via USB to new equipment.  Adding cameras and functionality to the base I already have was a selling point to me.  

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

j0112358,

Currently, only cameras synced to the Arlo Pro Base Station can take advantage of the local storage feature. For more information, see here: How do I set up local storage backups on a USB device using my Arlo Pro base station?

JamesC

j0112358
Initiate
Initiate

I was hoping for "future functionality" to actually make the useless dust orifices on the base station I currently own actually do something useful.

TylerL
Guide
Guide
Not cool Netgear...not supporting original hardware that obviously has the capability only to further sales profits and force consumers to buy a new product is pretty low. I dont see the downside of updating the base hardware? Its a year old....
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

TylerL wrote:
Not cool Netgear...not supporting original hardware that obviously has the capability only to further sales profits and force consumers to buy a new product is pretty low. I dont see the downside of updating the base hardware? Its a year old....

I'm glad that they made the new base BACKWARD compatible... Don't thingk of it as sales but more like upgrading an apple phone every year or two for the new features.

The system you have is still the same as before, but now you have an option to improve it.

The other side is that I don't think the old base has the processor required to handle the dual record ( cloud and local mem ) so the sw prob wouldn't work... it was prob more firmware over software.

TylerL
Guide
Guide
No, I really do think it is all marketing and a way to push sales. Oh people want to backup or store data on their own, lets only make it available on the newest sytem. Please explain the need for the usb ports then. What are they for? Early on, Netgear said for future use....the original systems only flaw is that. Fix it. If my internet goes down, I still want recording capability. I beleive in this product, just losing faith in the manufacturer.
TylerL
Guide
Guide
To further their profits they dont even sell the pro base on its own. I am forced to buy a bundle with a camera I dont need, as I have my limit without paying monthly. The backwards compatibility is funny too, of course they would do that. Use your (year) old cameras with the new system, its just $9.99 a month to add them. Just disappointed....
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

TylerL wrote:
To further their profits they dont even sell the pro base on its own. I am forced to buy a bundle with a camera I dont need, as I have my limit without paying monthly. The backwards compatibility is funny too, of course they would do that. Use your (year) old cameras with the new system, its just $9.99 a month to add them. Just disappointed....

They will be selling it my itself... but it is tight in the supply chain right now . Some places still holding to the 27th release date.

And there are work arounds that users have been using to not pay the $ for more than 5 cameras ( ie Guest access )

But, sorry you feel disappointed.