Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
beachbumdb
Star
Star

These cameras are supposed to be able to use rechargeable batteries.

I purchased 8 for my 2 cameras.

The charger indicates that they have a full charge but when put in the cameras

the battery indicator shows red and empty.

I couldnt get the cameras to work correctly when you click on the camera icon.

Instead of the normal camera view with the top icons,

All I get is a message that say view live streaming on new camera

I did have 8 new non-rechargeable batteries and put them in,

the cameras now operate correctly.

Has anyone else had a problem using rechargables.

The way this system eats batteries, rechargables are needed.

I paid $20 for 4 batteries at walmart and $30 for 4 batteries at rite aid. (all non-rechargeables)

They only lasted for about 3 weeks.  Without rechargables I will be spending

about $40 a month on batteries.  

For that I can have adt install outdoor cameras on their pulse system.

87 REPLIES 87
Jeddeth
Guide
Guide

RobertRosal wrote:

Also I don't know if it matters where you purchase the SolarForce but I purchased mine from SolarForce directly.

Here's the link.

http://www.solarforceflashlight-sales.com/product_detail.php?t=BC&s=23&id=364&sname=cr123a&xpage=2&s...

I'd hate to hear that if purchased elsewhere, someone reports back that they had bad results with them, so I am posting where I got mine.

Hi Robert,

I clicked on the link to buy the Solarforce, but it now redirects to another site. Can you post a picture of the battery so I can see if it's available elsewhere? Thank you so much for all your reporting and advice!

RobertRosal
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Jeddeth wrote:

Hi Robert,

I clicked on the link to buy the Solarforce, but it now redirects to another site. Can you post a picture of the battery so I can see if it's available elsewhere? Thank you so much for all your reporting and advice!

You're welcome!

MichaelRogers posted this below, I hope this helps.

I bought my 12 SolarForce batteries on http://www.banggood.com for about $4.00 per battery.  I was a bit skeptical of the website, but the batteries showed up in 9 days (from China to Chicago) and in good shape although the packaging was pretty thrown together.  They charged up fairly quickly, but I can't speak to their quality yet other than that.

-Robert
BonBon999
Aspirant
Aspirant

So how often are you recharging your "16340" batteries...?

They look like a really good solution to the non-rechargeable issue.

Thanks!

Kevin

Los Angeles

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

BonBon999 wrote:

So how often are you recharging your "16340" batteries...?

They look like a really good solution to the non-rechargeable issue.

On an average, fiq normal use the batteries should run 50 days ( for quality batteries ).

Tho there have been longer runs, many times it is with lower usage on the camera.

If your able to change them on a regular basis, they may be a way to go long term.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
tricia_b1
Aspirant
Aspirant

i recently purchased 8 IMREN rechargeable batteries 3.7volts also a Nitecore charger

charged up batteries but they won't work.

now what do I do, spend more money on Nitcore batteries maybe only to find they won't work either?

Arlo just say recharge batteries are not recommended but it's too expensive to keep replacing non rechargeables.

can someone tell me if the rechargeables do work in these cameras. Also which ones and where to purchase  I am in Australia.

tricia_b1
Aspirant
Aspirant

purchased IMREN RCR123A recharge batteries 3.7v but camera won't work still says change batteries

now not sure if I should spend more money on niteCore ones or just go back to non recharge

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Not sure why those batteries don't work....don't know the exact type you purchased

but ther are a few user here from down under, the past threads were re find a imported battery for Aus...

In the recharge thread there are 3 maybe 4 li- ion 123/16340 cells at 3.7v that work fine and have been pretty well vetted...

Re: Rechargeable batteries for use with Arlo cameras
Options
‎2016-08-07 08:05 PM

Read the last ten pages where most of the newer info is....

I think the most common in use now are the following;

NiteCore
EagleTac
Olight
I use the Nitecore, but think in the long run I don't think there's much diff among the three

Notes to remember;
1) OEM primary cells are 3v as listed , but in real world they read 3.2v when new

2) Rechargeable 123/16340 cells come in 3v and 3.6 and 3.7 v as listed. The ones listed here as common use are 3.7v cells that read 4.2v off charge

The 3v rechargeables have been used but don't works as well as the 3.7v... matter of fact a while back (2015), the battery algorithm was optimized for the OEM primary cells and 3.7v li-ion rechargeables

Also be aware that some rechargeables also limit their current output as another safety factor..these special type cells don't run well in the Arlo ... nor do for some reason the LiFePo4 cells

tricia_b1
Aspirant
Aspirant

what are the fake ones, I purchased IMREN RCR123A

they won't work

please tell me what will so I don't lose more money

Pet1700
Apprentice
Apprentice
Take the time to read rechargeable batteries thread... Quickly, eagletec, and nitecore are the top rated, but there are others listed which may be more easily available in AU.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

tricia_b1 wrote:

what are the fake ones, I purchased IMREN RCR123A

they won't work

please tell me what will so I don't lose more money

As to fake ones... WHO KNOWS.  

That's one of the reasons Netgear changed their minds about recommending rechargeables in the Arlos.  To many china cells or counterfeit and/or many without curcuit protection from over drain - over charge.  They don't want any major problem like possible fires, etc ( think of those roller things that were catching on fire or replacement batteries in phones in pockets overheating )

Those cells you posted i could only find on Ebay.AU.  Not a full description, maybe post a link to your purchase and I'll see what else I can find out.

They appear that they should work, as long as they as "button' top cells, not "flat" top.  But, doen't know for sure

Only thing i can say;

1) Stay with the known tested brands that have been tested by other users as there are size variances  allowed ( some may not fit )

2) any 123/16340 cell rated over 750mahr is to be suspect as you can't get more chems in that package to produce more

3) the li-ion 3.7 v cells are the ones tested that work the best ( there are 3-4 brands used/tested by most users )

4) LifePo4 type cells for some reason don't work well, same with 3v rechargables

5) MAKE SURE the cells contain a protection curcuit for over charge/discharge

6) make sure you use the proper charger

tricia_b1
Aspirant
Aspirant

The ones I purchased are IMR 16340 

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/142035094404?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=441137443647&ssPageName=STR...

The above ones just will not work in cameras the seller isn't rushing into any answers or offering refund

also had advice from a user to get nitecore NL166 that's a new one for me

Battery Junction have the Nitcore cheap but have overseas postage to pay but still cheaper then AU

PauloValadao
Aspirant
Aspirant
Tenergy hás a 4 battery charger. Just started using li-ion RCR123A and having the same zero indication, but the câmera Works fine
manfredz
Hero
Hero

I'm using the Tenergy 3.7V gold colored rechargeables and battery indicator works fine.  Also accidentally bought the Tenergy silver colored 3.0V and can't say the same there.