Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
beachbumdb
Star
Star

These cameras are supposed to be able to use rechargeable batteries.

I purchased 8 for my 2 cameras.

The charger indicates that they have a full charge but when put in the cameras

the battery indicator shows red and empty.

I couldnt get the cameras to work correctly when you click on the camera icon.

Instead of the normal camera view with the top icons,

All I get is a message that say view live streaming on new camera

I did have 8 new non-rechargeable batteries and put them in,

the cameras now operate correctly.

Has anyone else had a problem using rechargables.

The way this system eats batteries, rechargables are needed.

I paid $20 for 4 batteries at walmart and $30 for 4 batteries at rite aid. (all non-rechargeables)

They only lasted for about 3 weeks.  Without rechargables I will be spending

about $40 a month on batteries.  

For that I can have adt install outdoor cameras on their pulse system.

87 REPLIES 87
JohnR
Arlo Employee Retired

Sallie wrote:

Batteries go dead fast, anyone used those recharging machines.  I have one but it wont handle the CR123.  Does anyone have a charger that works for that size

Hi Sallie, 

I have personally used XTAR WP2 and Nitecore i4 Chargers, both can handle 16340(CR123) batteries. The Xtar charger has a fast charge option and can be used as a power bank, they are high quality and has protection from overcharging. 

Hope that helps! 

Thanks, 

JohnR

Arlo Team

Thanks,

JohnR
Netgear Community Team
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

As long as we're talking about rechargeable batteries and not the Arlo-supplied non-rechargeables...

JohnR
Arlo Employee Retired

jguerdat wrote:

As long as we're talking about rechargeable batteries and not the Arlo-supplied non-rechargeables...

Hi jguerdat, 

That is correct, we would not want people charging the batteries that came with the unit (because they are not rechargeables). To everyone that will be using rechargeables make sure that you are buying the correct battery types and the legit ones, there are a lot of imitation batteries out on the market today. These "fake" batteries are not just very low performing but also a fire hazard. 

Thanks, 

JohnR, 

Arlo Team

Thanks,

JohnR
Netgear Community Team
bg
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello,

I have been struggling with trying to find  a rechargeable battery that works with my Arlo cameras.  On the Community Support site I see that many others are having the same problem.  Here is a portion of the chat conversation I had yesterday with tech support:

Brad: Specifically, which rechargeable batteries are recommended for the Arlo cameras?

Yhancy: The rechargeable batteries must be either RCR123A or 16340.

Brad: I am asking for specifics. Give me a brand and model number.  You can see the mass confusion on your Community support site?

Yhancy: I do apologize, however, we cannot recommend a particular brand of rechargeable battery.

I do not understand why Arlo cannot get together with a battery manufacturer and come up with a rechargeable battery that works with the Arlo cameras.  It would solve a lot of headaches for the Arlo customers plus add a bit of business to the bottom line for the battery company.  The current approach of Netgear/Arlo is simply pathetic.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

bg wrote:

I have been struggling with trying to find  a rechargeable battery that works with my Arlo cameras.  On the Community Support site I see that many others are having the same problem.  Here is a portion of the chat conversation I had yesterday with tech support:

Guess you haven't read the 12 page thread on rechargeables in the buying-tip section of this site. Go and read ALL the pages before buying.

For the readers digest version, I'll go out on a limb for you and  tell you to check out the Tangsfires below.

Are they the best, NO... but I've tested 3 types( maybe 5 or 6 including another tester, Jeff ) so far and they are at this point running the best of the bunch.

Right now they are at 49 days running with spec use re time recording at best quality video.

They aren't expensive as such and work fairly well so its a good buy in my mind.

But you will note in the threads, most will run an avg of only 45+ days of normal use. Buy a set of 4 (with charger) for about $12 and test them and see how well they work for you.

Another thread in the 12 pages;

The Tangsfire cells are 3.7v rated at 1000mahr  ( white )

they look like ; http://www.amazon.com/TangsFire%C2%AE-1000MHA-rechargeable-battery-charger/dp/B00FWOJLGI/ref=sr_1_4?...

The chargers I use ( I have 4 ) are all similar 2 cell chargers made for 16340 type li-ion cells ( like travel chargers )

They are really no name from china, but I have not had any problems with them.  They all charge the cells to 4.21v after a few hours

(two of them came with the GTLs and Ultrafires from ebay )

PS.. someone else had a fit problem with 3.6v / 800mahr rated tangsfire so be careful with size as they can vary due to allowable spec sizes..make sure if you buy something it can be returned if the fit is ng

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
All-seeing-arlo
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ok so what rechargable batterys thats compatable with arlo????

cr123 3volt 500ma or 3.7volt 1200ma

Superman2000
Apprentice
Apprentice

i ordered these.  still testing longevity,  but the arlo cameras fired right up and reported 100% charge

http://smile.amazon.com/PPOWER-2000mah-Cr123a-Rechargeable-Battery/dp/B011CV2N4Q?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redir...

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

All-seeing-arlo wrote:

Ok so what rechargable batterys thats compatable with arlo????

cr123 3volt 500ma or 3.7volt 1200ma

Please read some of the threads....

But to answer your question, Buy the 3.7v li-ion cells ( NOT the 3v )

Second, No 123/16340 li-ion rechargeable cell in that size can PHYSICALLY contain enough chemistry to be more than aprox 700mahr

Buy a 3.7v cell with the highest realistic rating of power ( 650-750 mahr )

So, also buy known named brands with a PCB ( prevent possible fire from over drain/charge ), 

Be aware there are enough variances allowed in the size of the cells so that some just don't fit... try new ones at own risk or stick to the ones that have proven to fit.

RobertRosal
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Reporting in, as of today, the SolarForce batteries, which are used on a low use camera and replaced the TangsFire I had due to no safety features, are at 72 days with 37% juice left.

I recommend these, as my TangsFire which I don't use anymore, on average last around 50 days, used on the same camera which the SolarForce batteries are now on duty.

I believe the TangsFire could last more than 50 days but without any safety built in, I never pushed it as it may have damaged the batteries which would render the batteries useless.

The TangsFire would be removed once I received the 15% left notice.

I will report back once the SolarForce are completely drained.  Again this is on my low use camera and not being used at spec.

-Robert
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

RobertRosal wrote:

Reporting in, as of today, the SolarForce batteries, which are used on a low use camera and replaced the TangsFire I had due to no safety features, are at 72 days with 37% juice left.

I will report back once the SolarForce are completely drained.  Again this is on my low use camera and not being used at spec.

Good to hear we have another choice that fits in the Arlo.... waiting for the run time results.

BTW, i noticed they are rated at 880 mahr.... also read that they are really rated slightly lower but willing to give the benefit of doubt.

The ratings can be tainted a bit by the testing, but IMO, the real test is how well they run in real world use.

Pet1700
Apprentice
Apprentice
Go with Eagletec or Nitecore Rcr123a batteries... These are the best rechargeable batteries for Arlo system.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

copy from prev thread;

OK @Coltsbro84 here's a nut shell of data

Previous thread done before...now we know to stay away basicly any china battery thats ends with "fire" and GTLs

Good data starts on page 2.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Buying-Options-Tips/Rechargable-battery-usage-vs-time-by-type-post-...

1) The 3.7v rechargeables have been OK'ed by Netgear as good to go and actually seem to work better than the 3.0v rechargeable ( actual battery gauge optimized for the 3.7 and OEM cells back in late 2015 )

2) The 3.0v  LiFEPO4 cells seem NOT to work well and from reports go down after a few days of use

Recommending at this point for a rechargeable;

Highest rated mahr rechargeable from a 'KNOWN' manufacturer ( china cells are vastly over rated ) in a 3.7v Li-Ion format of the ones tested that fit ( some don't ) Manf's variance in size means some 16340 cells just don't fit so buy one set first if unsure.

Best batteries at this time seem to be ; in no order; ( may have missed one but these are all I have data on )

Nitecore

Olights

Eagletec

Charger that seems to be rated high is the Nightcore D4 ( does 4 cells ) but any good brand will prob work as well...just a good priced unit

PS .. new one being tested but no data yet ; SolarForce

PPS ..Spec use time is MUCH different from heavy usage with rechargeables.... Very heavy use the rechargables shine, low usage at or below spec, the OEM last longer

PPPS.. Most days at spec use by me for rechargeables was 70 days , varied of the above listed cells by only <5 days so no brand given.

RobertRosal
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I still think it is lower than the specified 880, this is being used as low use camera without a lot of activity.

I am impressed though today is 75 days and still at 37% of battery left.

TomMac wrote:

Good to hear we have another choice that fits in the Arlo.... waiting for the run time results.

BTW, i noticed they are rated at 880 mahr.... also read that they are really rated slightly lower but willing to give the benefit of doubt.

The ratings can be tainted a bit by the testing, but IMO, the real test is how well they run in real world use.

-Robert
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Good going Robert !

RobertRosal
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Thanks Tom!

-Robert
RobertRosal
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Also I don't know if it matters where you purchase the SolarForce but I purchased mine from SolarForce directly.

Here's the link.

http://www.solarforceflashlight-sales.com/product_detail.php?t=BC&s=23&id=364&sname=cr123a&xpage=2&s...

I'd hate to hear that if purchased elsewhere, someone reports back that they had bad results with them, so I am posting where I got mine.

-Robert
Pet1700
Apprentice
Apprentice
How do they compare to eagletec?
RobertRosal
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Pet1700 wrote:
How do they compare to eagletec?

I have not made the comparison yet but once these die, I will charge them back up and move them to the Camera that I use the EagleTacs.  It should be an adequate comparison.  As all my cameras are pretty consistent with use.  

-Robert
Pet1700
Apprentice
Apprentice
How do you like your eagletecs? Mine are arriving tomorrow. Perfect timing as one camera is nearly dead after a month on regular batteries.
RobertRosal
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Pet1700 wrote:
How do you like your eagletecs? Mine are arriving tomorrow. Perfect timing as one camera is nearly dead after a month on regular batteries.

Can't complain, with my Spec/High use camera, I always get 60 days or more.

-Robert
Pet1700
Apprentice
Apprentice
That perfect. I always use high video and 20 second recordings. If I could get 60 days, that would be outstanding. My signal strength is 60% to, 80%. Do they have a sharp drop off when near dying? Such as 30% to 0% overnight?
RobertRosal
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Pet1700 wrote:
That perfect. I always use high video and 20 second recordings. If I could get 60 days, that would be outstanding. My signal strength is 60% to, 80%. Do they have a sharp drop off when near dying? Such as 30% to 0% overnight?

So far the recharbeables I have used, well at least the protected ones, once I get that 15% notice, I still have a week before they are completely dead.

I let all my protected rechargeables go until the camera stops recording and dies.

Well I take that back, since the SolarForce has not reached 15% yet I can't say for those just yet. 

-Robert
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Pet1700 wrote:

Usu the problem of a quick drop out occurs with a single cell  (if you haven't matched them as good as possible in sets ).

The single cell pulls the others down to a low voltage cut out when a high current demand happens ( see cell # 2 )

Capturetangtest.JPG

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

I would like to thank you for your posts and contributions! I want to make sure you take a look at an article outlining best practices when it comes to batteries. For those involved in this discussion I encourage you to review Remember these golden rules for your Arlo camera batteries along with BATTERY WARNINGS AND SAFETY.

Thank you for sharing! 

JamesC

gaheyrman34
Star
Star

Buy the best expensive rechargeable batteries from Amazon, they are "NITCORE" RC123A 3.7V 650mAH, Cost $32 for four, I just ordered my 5th set for my five camera.