Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 9 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
laythe
Star
Star

Hi,

I need to use a video that I have in my free 7 day rolling library for evidence in court. How can I proove when the video was taken to the court?

I have only 2 days before the video gets scrubbed by the rolling 7 days and my case dissolves. Please help if you can.

Thanks

Laythe

9 REPLIES 9
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Donwload it. Do not change the name for the file. The name of the file is a Unix timestamp

laythe
Star
Star

This is not useful as it provides no evidence what so ever as to the time of the photo, as anyone can edit it. 

I'm looking for a way to verify the time. Maybe give netgear some money and they supply  me with specific video confirmation of time/date, based on the their server receiving the video/camera taking the video.

Help please!

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The timestamp is embedded in the video information (EXIF). You can view the details of the video through the OS or a 3rd party program - I happen to use MediInfo - https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

laythe
Star
Star

Hi,

Am I correct in thinking that this information can be edited though? Im this case, it is not useful.

It would be great to be able to send Arlo a recorded clip, and them Arlo validate the video against my account and then provide an auto generated email confirmation to the user of the time/date.

This would be useful only in that it is issued from a third party and therefore holds credence in court.

Arlo, If you are listening, many people need this for court purposes and would pay for this service. Its a no brainer! I can be your first trial customer. I'm desperate and will pay!

Please Arlo -

Can i send you my clip and have the time date just confirmed on email before the video deletes itself (I will upgrade to get more time, but my immediate problem remains) - the confirmation doesnt have to be anything fancy, just a quick note?

Getting this clip into court, will mean this system has more than paid for itself.

Yours Hopefully,

Laythe

laythe
Star
Star

PS. If you can do this one act, you will have gained a life long customer!

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@laythe wrote:

Hi,

Am I correct in thinking that this information can be edited though? Im this case, it is not useful.

Anything can be edited, including an embedded timestamp in the video as well as masking when the video was edited.

Regardless of anything else, you MUST download it yourself to preserve it.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Yes. That's the most important thing right now. Download it yourself. Download it to your computer and to your phone. Don't wait for Arlo Support to send something to you. They may not even be able to do that. And if you wait, the clip could disappear. If it's important evidence in court case, download it now. I don't get how by not having an onscreen time stamp, it's suddenly not useful.

uswillmann
Initiate
Initiate

I can not understand why Netgear is not able to integrate a timestamp in the video. My 30 USD Chin cam can do that.

This is very unprofessional.

Yes, it can be masked and even manipulated, but at least it is there at all. Again I can't understand - and I would love to read an explanation from Netgear why a professional camera system that isn't really cheap cant do 123 on security measures.

laythe
Star
Star

Hi,

In order for the video to hold credibility in court, it needs to be timestamped. With no timestamp method availble on Arlo, I have had to screen shot my web browser for time evidence, hoping, but doubting, this will be sufficient to put someone behind bars.

This is a ridiculous state of affairs for something that Arlo advertise as a "Security System".

Arlo - you can do better. Sort it out please. Listen to your customers and focus on the core essential features.

Thanks