Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Geoff
Luminary
Luminary

One camera out of four has started doing this since replacing the batteries.

This camera was the first to require batteries.

I changed the batteries (with OE) and am now experiencing 'The request timed out' message.

I have removed the batteries, refitted them, re paired the camera with the base station,reset the base station all to no avail.

However, very intermitantly, the camera works for a while.

Any ideas anyone?

28 REPLIES 28
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Geoff,

Be sure this camera has good WiFi signal strength. It sounds like it may be struggling to communicate with the base station either due to range or interference from other WiFi devices. This could also explain why it was the first to require new batteries as the camera is struggling to maintain connection with the base station.

JamesC

Geoff
Luminary
Luminary

Hi James

Thanks for the reply.

This camera is on 3 rings of the wifi symbol. Although it is not on full strength it has been working ok up to now.

I have had 4 months of battery life  and as it is the 'main' camera pointing at my front door, gets a lot of activation.

I am satisfied with the battery use but this problem has only manifested since replacing the batteries, which is strange.

You speak about interference?

If it is interference from another source, what can I do about it?

Thanks

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Repositioning the base and/or camera would be the first step. I'd suggest the base since your camera position seems fine. A long Ethernet cable would be a decent temporary way to move the base but it could be only a matter of inches or even rotation. If a long distance turns out to be the trick, perhaps a WiFi extender would be the permanent solution.

pbasil
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same problem with message 'The request timed out'.

I boaught a new one and second camera never worked. t was showing a blank while screen in webs and mobile and if i click on 'Live', it will give this message 'The request timed out'. Battery percentage shows 80%.

Can some one help?

(First camera is working pefectly)

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I have occasional issues like this. Simply retrying works so far.  Also, try logging out and back in.

If still a problem, you can try opening and closing the battery door to reset the camera.  Watch the LED - should blink slow then fast blue.

A further step would be to remove the camera in Settings, My Devices and resync the camera.

If that fails to help, return the camera to the store (sounds new enough) for another or use the Support link above to create a trouble ticket for more help and maybe an RMA.

willgil
Tutor
Tutor

I have 3 cameras. This is happening to all of them. Good wifi

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Sometimes, using a diff browser like Fire Fox will solve these problems

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Zielasko
Initiate
Initiate

It appeaars this time out issue is prevalent across the board. Same results with firefox/explorer, camera's inside and outside (temperature), New batteries, detatch, re-attach cameras. follow online chat recommendations.. In the end, It used to work fine. Now, several months of this time-out issue. Tired of wasting time on this. Time to move on to another manufacturer.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Zielasko,

Poor WiFi signal strength can often cause the above symptoms. Consider relocating your cameras/base station making sure to limit nearby proximity of wireless devices that could be causing interference. Also be sure the affected cameras have the best WiFi signal strength (shown on the cameras screen in the app).

JamesC

paulmalt
Initiate
Initiate

I have the same problem but with a new camera that is the closest to the base station and has the strongest wi-fi signal ???

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Might be worth removing the camera from Settings, My Devices, opening and closing the battery door (remove the battey pack if a Pro camera) and resyncing.

ArloUser_01
Aspirant
Aspirant

Resetting everything has worked for me but this is not a long term solution. Security cameras have to work but maybe this should not be used as such. It sounds like Arlo has producted a flawed product.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

ArloUser_01,

What issue were you experiencing that was resolved by a reset? If it is an issue like what is described in the original post, it could be a signal strength issue due to interference or range. Consider trying your camera in a different location to see if you get the same results.

JamesC

ArloUser_01
Aspirant
Aspirant

I was getting a "request timed out" when attempting to view a camera. An immediate fix was to reboot the base, but if I am not at home sometimes trying again later will work (although I am trying to see who is at my house then and not in ten minutes). Signal strength is is excellent as the camera is 20 feet away with no electrical devices in its path. The camera seemed to work fine at its current location then several weeks later I started getting this connection issue. As this is not the only issue with my Arlo cameras, I am planning to use wired camera outside the house and use the Arlo cameras inside where they work quite well.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
You did see the posts this morning about server problems, right? That's fixed now.
eelpout
Tutor
Tutor

I started having this problem recently too on some of my Arlo Pro's, all of which worked fine for at least half a year since I bought the system. What's annoying is they still show full network signal strength, so I've come to the realization that measurement isn't so helpful. These are the cameras furthest from the base, so it must be range related.

I wonder though since it's happening now, in the summer, that it's connected to heat. I do have the black rubber protectors on all the outdoor cameras, which likely exacerbates their internal temp; maybe there is some thermal thing that backs off power, limiting range under those conditions. I'll have to try them at night, when they've had a chance to cool off and see if that's it. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

eelpout,

One way to further isolate the issue would be to temporarily relocate the cameras closer to the base station and then test to see if you get the same behavior.

JamesC

ATS64
Aspirant
Aspirant

So I've had my system for just less than a year.  Naturally I had to replace my batteries.  The camera that triggered the most went first, which was totally logical.  But in time, all there had their batteries replaced.  My real problem is what this thread is all about, one of my three cameras just stopped filming anything.  I get motion detection, but NO picture, just a "The requet timed out" on a grey background.  I tried accessing it from my Andriod phone, my iPad, and my Windows desktop computer (using both Explorer and Chrome... and yes, I went through the Flash update issue which only seemed to work for Explorer, but that's a different issue). I reset the camera, reconnected the camera, and moved both the camera and base station as recommended (all the time with strong wifi signal).  And the camera will simply not render a picture.  Do these things simply stop working?  I expected these to work for many year, but not less than 12 months.  I have not seen any suggestions posted that I have not alreayd tried, so I'm thinking I'm out of luck here.  Please advise.

ATS64
Aspirant
Aspirant

Oh yes... in case it helps.  My camera Hardware Version is H7,  the serial number is 48B45B7N22C31 and Firmware version is 1.2.11810.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

ATS64,

Please contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

JamesC

DruBee
Tutor
Tutor

how do you stop the other wifi signals from interfering? 

DruBee
Tutor
Tutor

how do you stop the other wifi signals from interfering? 

manfredz
Hero
Hero

try relocating the base station or cams.

or identify what wifi source could be interfering by turning them off one by one to see which one interferes and try relocating it if possible.

robbiebrown34
Guide
Guide

I just thought I'd share my experience on this - Basically I have 2x Arlo Pro 2's (They're brilliant!), but I've just started getting "Request Timed out" when trying to view live. 

Turns out its CVR that's causing it. I disable it on the camera and I can view it again without issue. I guess in some of your cases you don't have CVR capable cameras but I thought I'd share for the ones that do, and have it enabled. 

Not a massive issue because I can look back at 14 days of data anyway.