Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Aaronr6
Tutor
Tutor

I have been trying to fine tune my motion sensitivity for months. I have an Arlo camera at my front door and no matter what I do I can not find a happy medium between false alarms, and having people walk right by the camera. Can the cameras simply be “bad”? I attached a still from this morning showing a “false” detection, but yet I had 2 different people walk up to my door without detection.

10 REPLIES 10
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

First, make sure you're changing the sensitivity in your modes and rues and not in the motion detection test.

As for the camera positioning, the view of the door, assuming that what's at the top left of the view, is partially shrouded and the distance, while not too great, is likely working against you. In addition, that white concrete is likely reflecting a lot of the sun's IR at this time of day, perhaps masking people's IR signature as well as causing false detections when that shadow of a tree (?) gets blown around. I'd be looking for a different mounting place, maybe on those columns to the right. That would help ensure side to side motion while eliminating much of the concrete.

Aaronr6
Tutor
Tutor
Thanks for the response. I am in fact adjusting the motion sensitivity in the rules. I have moved this camera to multiple locations with really no luck. I have other Arlo cameras in different areas of my property and have been able to get them dialed in. While doubtful, I’ll try moving it far forward and see if that will help.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If that fails, open a case with support:

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx

Aaronr6
Tutor
Tutor

@jguerdat I Changed my camera location.. I still get nothing. Can someone tell me if this view is too far away to detect someone coming up my driveway now?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

While situations vary, I would believe that the distance from the camera to the driveway is likely too great. You can try setting motion detection to 100% in your modes and rules but that may not help and may invite false detections from reflections from the sun's IR. Moving the camera closer by mounting on the house or maybe the tree would help.

Aaronr6
Tutor
Tutor

Unbelievable I changed to a different Arlo camera, switched the direction the camera was facing, mounted it closer to the door, and STILL can’t get the things to pick up what I need. Motion sensitivity is set to 90. (See new photo) I am so tired of wasting hours on the phone with these “costumer service” people who just read a standard line off the computer. I have lost too much of my life to this garbage and am chalking it up to this company totally screwing me over. 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @Aaronr6

I do not know what troubleshooting steps you have previously tried with support, and do not want to suggest anything you have previously done, but have you tried to remove the camera from Settings > My devices & re-add it?

Aaronr6
Tutor
Tutor
Yes I’ve done that multiple times and I’ve completely changed cameras around. I guess these just will not work at my location.
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Have you tried contacting customer support regarding this issue? I have attached the link here for you - Arlo Tech Support

Aaronr6
Tutor
Tutor
Is that a joke!? I don’t even want to think about the amount of frustrated hours I’ve spent with “tech support” on this garbage