Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
John02
Aspirant
Aspirant
Since installing the Arlo wireless system, our Motorola baby monitor has been losing its signal at 2:30. I'm thinking that it is because the base station is either reaching out to the cameras, or checking in with Netgear for firmware updates.

Anyone know if this may be accurate, or if there could be another reason for the interference? And, is there a work around; could I tell the system to check in at a different time (when we wouldn't be using the monitor)?
10 REPLIES 10
brh
Master
Master

Arlo Firmware updates always happen between 3 to 5 am so I don't think the Arlo firmware updates are causing this problem.  Their updates are automatic and there is no way to choose the time for updates nor refuse them so that they can be done at a later time.

Try moving the Arlo hub farther away from the router.

I don't know the model of your Motorola camera, but some Motorola camera firmware updates are between 2 to 5 am.

Is this a nightly issue - meaning is it happening every night at 2:30 am?

If it is interference, there are many things that can cause that and it will take some troubleshooting to determine where the problem lies.

Brian

John02
Aspirant
Aspirant
Honestly, new born baby sleep deprivation, it's absolutely happening between 3-5.

Now there's zero doubt this is the cause, which isn't good for us.

I'll try moving the base station, but there isn't a tremendous amount of room there.
brh
Master
Master

@John02

Firmware updates do not happen every day. Only once a week or even once a month. I believe that you have some sort of interference issue. You did not answer my question about how frequently this was occurring. You can turn off the Arlo for one night or two before the time you are having the problem and see if it clears up.

Why would the Motorola stopping to work cause the baby not to get enough sleep?

Let us know what you find out.

Brian

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

While it is true the Netgear updates do come in the late night/early morning... TBMK the cameras do not do this everyday on a regular basis...

If there was a check for updates, it would be from the base unit first ( which is on cable , so no interference there ).

All the updates would come to the base and then get pushed out to the cameras.

You can check the fw update list here ; https://community.netgear.com/t5/Firmware-Release-Notes/bd-p/arlo-release-notes

They do not happen that often as you are experiencing

I would be looking for some other form of interference to the motorola unit

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
John02
Aspirant
Aspirant
It's not effecting the babies sleep, it's effecting our sleep. When the monitor loses signal it beeps until it regains signal.

We've only had the system for 3 nights and it had happened all 3 nights in that timeframe.

Also, I realized moving the router won't make a difference because the Motorola is a stand alone system, independent from WiFi.

Thanks for weighing in.
brh
Master
Master

Moving the Arlo base station further away from the router, (and possibly further away from the Motorola monitor), could solve an inteference problem. I haven't checked lately but I believe Arlo recommends at  least 6 feet away. 

Brian

Jsmitty66
Apprentice
Apprentice
Did you discover a solution. I’ve just turned on an Arlo system today and our baby monitor is not connecting to the baby cameras as it did before.
brh
Master
Master

@Jsmitty66

What baby monitor are you using?

Brian

Jsmitty66
Apprentice
Apprentice
Infant optics DXR-8
brh
Master
Master

@Jsmitty66

Disconnect the Arlo from the power source and router and see if the baby monitor works again. If so, there is an interference problem and I would recomment separating them as far as possible from each other.

Brian