Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Tjv1988
Initiate
Initiate
Just got Arlo and im sick of it already..it says once again that session has expired log back in..like no..it keeps kicking me out. Only me and 1 other person are able to access that system. Anyone else having this problem? Again? Seems like a few weeks ago they released a statement about this happening but it got resolved..guess it didn't
191 REPLIES 191
lunsfordc13
Aspirant
Aspirant

When I try to login I'm getting a message, in an organge stripe, telling me that my session has expired and to please login.  When I attempt to login it fails and tells me that "You may be logged into Netgear Arlo in a different browser", and there's no way to continue.  I'm not logged in with a different browser or device.

I'm using Microsoft Edge on a Windows 10 laptop.  Everything works fine if I use another browser, Firefox or Chrome, but not with Edge.

Any advice will be welcomed.

Thanx,

CFL 

Shelleyp
Star
Star

Actually, not a good workaround, at least not with all devices.

Doesn't work on my Galaxy Tab 4.

cricker3
Tutor
Tutor

We have already paid for devices so arlo isn't losing anything!

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

try to clear the cookies and attempt again

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
lunsfordc13
Aspirant
Aspirant

TomMac,

Excellent.  That did the trick.

Thanks for the speedy (and accurate) reply.

CFL

Svasan76
Aspirant
Aspirant
Every Time I open the app it says my session has ended and I need to log back in but it does not let me. Which does not allow me to access my camera. This has been happening since they had the outage. Please help as this is getting annoying. I updated the app recently as well.
VCG-D
Aspirant
Aspirant

This seems to have worked, so far

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@AP_user wrote:

1> Does system need to be re-registered / synced if physical modem (or IP) is changed? Does system use router MAC address to locate tunnel path to subnet cameras? Reason: may have to swap cable modem and not sure if provider has static IP based on customer account or if IP will change upon changing modem.

No. The base uses DHCP from your router. You should be able to pick the system up from one location and plunk it down in another without changing anything.

2> Latest update to android app regarding security / login changes is severely flawed. What wasn't broke now is. Instead of keeping message on to log out, have message displayed, time out then force logout back to login screen as most users can't get rid of message long enough to get to manually log off the system.

Right now, the workaround is to open the app, get the error message, tap the multitask  (asingle or double overlapping rectangles next to the home button) and click on the "X" for Arlo. Then open the app normally. This will have to be repeated any time the error is displayed.

3> As an admin, I'd like to turn off the SSID beacon on the router.

Not currently possible since we have no access to the base.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Check all the other threads here for the same issue and workarounds.

It's not a fix since you'll have to do this every time you get the error but use the multitask button (one or two overlapping rectangles) next to your Home button. Click on the "X" for Arlo andrestart the app normally.

jjnak
Initiate
Initiate

For whoever from Arlo who reads this...I have the same "session expired" issue as the others. My irritation is that if I get a push notification in the middle of the night I don't want to have to log in again. I want to access the camera as quickly as possible. It'a a basic safety issue which is why I have the system. If this can't be changed back to the way it was before the early March update then the value of the Arlo system is very much diminished.
Please change back to the "old" way as soon as possible.

Kwenda
Apprentice
Apprentice

I am beginning to suspect that this software bug is  NOT  going to be solved/cured.

There has been no official comment by Netgear / Arlo, in spite of the many many complaints on this forum and on the Playstore reviews.

The reason could well be the release of completely new software for the Arlo cameras, as we saw demonstrated at CES in January.

A reply in January from the Arlo offices to my enquiry on this new  Arlo Smart  was:-

‘Arlo Smart are added account security features that are available for all Arlo cameras on an upgraded Arlo Smart account plan. More details to come so please stay tuned.’

If you watch the YouTube video about Arlo Smart you will notice changes in the Arlo app, such as the ability to call 911 as a working tab direct from the app.

This change to the app was advertised as ‘ Available Spring 2018 ‘.

I suspect therefore no more ‘upgrades’ to the existing app, but the roll out of a redesigned app ‘shortly’..

YouTube video :-  https://youtu.be/SNiXXSphTQs

Meanwhile we can only use the workaround as kindly supplied by jguerdat.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Engineering is aware of this issue and hopes to have a fix available very soon. We apologize for any inconvenience caused, I will provide an update as soon as I have more information on the fix.

JamesC

Kwenda
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks for coming back to us on this, it has caused much frustration.

All I can say is lets have a fix on this software bug as soon as possible..........

Previously Arlo was very reliable and that is why we purchased, we need to get back to 100% reliable..

Bergzee
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ever since the new update the Arlo app has been EXTREMELY annoying!! I am going to stop recommending the Arlo system immediately. Please fix this annoying issue. Everytime I want to look at my app I have to login. Hate having that stupid orange bar getting in the way to log out and then log in. Get rid of the orange bar telling me that my session has expired. Move it to the bottom of the screen so it's not in the way. And set the timer on it for a longer period of time so u can actually log out before the yellow bar reappears. If you can't fix, I can send my 14 year old to fix it for you!!!!!

tqmagic
Initiate
Initiate

Hi James C,

Thanks for looking into this issue, I am having the exact same issue on an S7 android 7.0 with the most recent Arlo version.

Do you have an estimated time to resolution through an app update, as this issue makes our home security system unusable? This is unacceptable for a security camera system company to not have thoroughly tested versions prior to updates.

In the meantime, is it possible to roll back the last app update to the prior version that was working?

8wildhogs
Aspirant
Aspirant
I'm right there with you. Have had this system 3 or 4 years and only recently has this started. Very annoying to see the thermonuclear orange space sayin my session has expired. Why is this happening?
Brianthesnail
Initiate
Initiate
I have been getting the "Session expired" message on my Android phone recently and have found that closing all other open thumbnail windows cures the problem every time.
Press the overview button and press the box that appears with "close all" in it then click on the arlo app and it should open without logging out and back in.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Have you tried just closing the Arlo app instead of all?  That's what I've been doing successfully.

8wildhogs
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks.... it worked !
BetaUser3000
Guide
Guide
I have not encountered the session timeout error since this morning. I didn't do anything on my end. Since mid-March, whenever I tapped the notification of a motion-triggered recording on my android phone, I always got the session timeout error which I temporarily got around by killing the arlo app and relaunching. It's only been four hours so I will post later tonight.
BetaUser3000
Guide
Guide
I spoke too soon, I am still getting session timed out on my android phone so I need to terminate and relaunch.
garyduh
Tutor
Tutor

My Arlo (Android) APP ver is 2.4.7_19361 dated Feb/06 2018;

I have this isse too for just about a week, so I thnik that is not due to APP version, but something done at their server site...

TacoRon
Aspirant
Aspirant

I've had the same issue for the past week or so on my Pixel 2 XL. I ended up doing an uninstall > reinstall with the android app, and it works again. No more timeout messages when I open the app via fingerprint. 

TreasureB
Apprentice
Apprentice
Has anyone tried the betta test version of Arlo Smart and had any luck stopping the Session Expired nonsense? While it is possible to close out the usual Arlo app and reopen it to rid it of the expired message, as we all know the error returns after varied minutes
mscdavis45
Tutor
Tutor

I am having the same issues with the phone app keeps expiring. It is very, very frustrating. I was going to have this system installed for my parents due to them being elderly. I had just talked them into get this security system. I am very disappointed because this will only upset them if they had to continously log in to see the cameras. I will be looking for another security system for them. I will not be promoting this security system to any of my friends, or family members as long as I am having this issue.