Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Minburn57
Apprentice
Apprentice

Now into my second hour resetting my entire Arlo system . . . .

Had this system for 5 years now.  Chronic issues all along and only got worse with time.

But today found that the system had gone offline over two days ago . . . .

Tried to get back on, but nothing . . . . then reset all and got the base station functioning.

Now hooking up 5 cameras slowllly one-by-one and biting my tongue with each step.

With that, tell me, why does this fn software search out for new base firmware prior to 'each' setup of 'each' camera?  I'm not talking a few second search . . . . its aggravating as hell.

Anyway with about a $1K in this system, I'm stuck with it until I have more coin around and then I'll give it away to someone as I'm certain you can't find buyers for these used given their reputation.  I see major stores around here have these small Arlo corners in the buildings where they sell them while other systems have taken the major role.  One sales agent at one of the larger stores told me that can't even give them away any longer to people looking for security options that have sought out user's reviews of the various systems.

Anyway, my question above . . . .

7 REPLIES 7
Minburn57
Apprentice
Apprentice

By the way, 1220 a.m. here and repairing Arlo system.

Its -24 celsius outside and I have to pull out an extension ladder to access two Arlo cameras to get them up.

Minburn57
Apprentice
Apprentice

. . . . . but a camera4 paces away from the base isn't connecting to the base station . . . . .

Minburn57
Apprentice
Apprentice

firmware search issue 'ever' aggravating!! . . . . . . .

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Minburn57 wrote:

Its -24 celsius outside and I have to pull out an extension ladder to access two Arlo cameras to get them up.

The operating temperature of the cameras is -20C to 45C.  Perhaps that is a factor?

Minburn57
Apprentice
Apprentice

No.  Actually one of my biggest fears going into this was temperature and operation and over the past years I've had these cameras working at -40 deg C or more in the winter and no issues with the temperature.  Amazingly, battery life isn't much different for me summer or winter.

The issues I've had with these cameras is winter or summer . . . . chronic battery issues (until the past couple months or so . . . . . battery use now is rather decent and back to what is was the first year or so of operation), numerous occurrences of the system going offline, red hued cameras and so on . . . any search of the forum will find these issues all over the place.

About the only thumbs up I give these cameras is their cold weather performance and general non-issue with weather.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Minburn57 wrote:

No.  Actually one of my biggest fears going into this was temperature and operation and over the past years I've had these cameras working at -40 deg C or more in the winter and no issues with the temperature.  Amazingly, battery life isn't much different for me summer or winter.

That's useful to know.  I've seen other posters saying that their cameras do cut out around -25C or so.  

FWIW, I've also needed to reset one of my VMB5000 bases twice this fall.  Both times the base was identified as off-line in the app and web client, but the internet LED was solid blue.  Power-cycling the base didn't help - and the LED remained blue.  Eventually (some days later) the internet LED went amber.  Power cycling then didn't help either.  Removing the cameras and base from the account, resetting the base, and adding it back (with all the cameras + the audio doorbell) did "solve" it. 

Though it's hard to be certain, the timing appeared to coincide with base station firmware updates in both cases.  My other VMB5000 wasn't affected (and there were firmware updates that didn't trigger the issue on this one).

So I do think there is something wrong in the firmware - it shouldn't be necessary to clear everything out of the account, and re-add everything to re-establish the connection with the cloud.

Minburn57
Apprentice
Apprentice

Your final comment . . . yes, that's always been my suspicion on many of the issues.  Case in point: at some point not long back, reasonable battery life again after a long period with unreasonable life.  Nothing else changed at my end . . . .

24 hours later, my recreated system running good with no hiccups.

I havent used it until now, but a newer (newest?) ioS app appears to work on my ipad 4 which is good because not very long back it wouldn't work.  Responsive, no problems . . . . granted, only 24 hours along.