Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 10 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
Austin316
Tutor
Tutor

I have just replaced the batteries in my Arlo camera after getting a low battery email. After putting the new batteries in it only shows as having 16% battery life left on brand new batteries. Some troubleshooting i have already done is:

1) reboot base station = still shows low battery

2) re-synced camera with base station = shows 57% battery life, rebooted base station again and then it went back down to 16%

Both my base station and camera's have the newest firmware. Any ideas what might be going on ?

13 REPLIES 13
Thegasworks
Star
Star
I need to add to the above as I'm now experiencing rapid battery drain out of the blue. In 3 days my battery has dropped from 86% to 4%.

I bought new batteries today (always recommended Duracell) and installed them approx 2 hours ago, battery showed 100%. I'm now showing at 94% which is alarming.

I usually get 6-7 months out of my batteries as I rarely record or stream and use the system as peace of mind at night with motion detection.

Can anyone shed any light on this as a matter of urgency please.

Many thanks

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
All cameras or one? Can you swap cameras around to see if it's an issue with the camera or the position?
Austin316
Tutor
Tutor

I have 2 cameras and i just swapped batteries in 1 of them. It s funny because the cameras have been in the same position they are now from when i got them new and never had any issues until i swapped to new batteries and it seems to me like the arlo camera doesnt know i put new batteries in it,

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Open a case with support.
Daytona22T
Initiate
Initiate

I am having the same issue with a camera that I have always used indoors.  Have replaced the batters twice, and it still shows 4% no matter what I do.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Try power cycling the base. Also, try removing it from Settings, My Devices and resync it.  

Austin316
Tutor
Tutor

I have done all the suggestions and nothing is fixing it, the batteries show as 70% when i reset everything and then they both drop back down. One currently at 11% with new batteries.

guidodg
Apprentice
Apprentice

are the batteries the same brand as the original ones?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The exact brand isn't as important as just using quality name brand ones.  What batteries are you using?

Daytona22T
Initiate
Initiate

This worked for me!  Thanks.

Austin316
Tutor
Tutor

So i believe i have solved my issue and it looks to be the batteries themselves. I bought the batteries from Ebay and they were "PKCELL 123A CR123A 3 Volt Lithium Battery" and since the day i started using them the cameras kept reporting a huge battery drain. So i scoured Amazon and found recommendations from people using "Streamlight 85177 CR123A Lithium Batteries" in thier Arlo Cameras.

So i bought those and put them in my cameras and so far they look good and both camera's report 95% battery life. I havent seen any huge drains yet like with the other batteries. I will keep my eye on the batteries.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
And the cheap "2500mAH" rechargeable batteries fro eBay are worse. They've been known to severely damage the cameras.
manfredz
Hero
Hero

i accidentally bought the tenergy silver coloured 3.0 volt rechargeables and lucky if i can get a full day out of them.

The correct tenergys, the 3.7 volt gold colored ones should be here tomorrow.

Any that say 3.0 volt instead of 3.7 are going to be a problem in the arlo.

I believe the highest capacity batteries for the arlo are 750mah so anything higher than that (usually offered on ebay) should be avoided