Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 15 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
cypress708
Guide
Guide

Hello Everyone, I'm curious about your experience with the new Tenergy rechargeable batteries; specifically their rate of discharge.  I just installed them in one of my cameras and have recorded them discharge at about 5% per 24 hrs.  That is not the typical discharge rate from that specific camera when using regular, non-rechargeable batteries.  I typically get 10-12 weeks of battery life with the major brand CR123's.  

In your experience, how frequently must you recharge yours?

15 REPLIES 15
manfredz
Hero
Hero

I've been using the Tenergys in 3 of my 4 cameras (Nitecors inthe other).Assuming recordings stay same, I notic battery levels drop faster the first 2 or 3 days and also last.  In between drop at a slower rate.

Now you should be getting nowhere the 20-30 x 120 sec recordings per camera (plus a few live views each day) but if you get that high you'll see about a set lasting about 3 weeks.  Since you will probably be recording a lot less, you should see a lot longer time between charges.

cypress708
Guide
Guide

Well, the first charge made 26 days before alerting low battery.  Second charge has lost 30% in 72 hours.  

manfredz
Hero
Hero

could be good, bad or normal.  Your recording habits are needed.  How much did you record, how long, and how much live viewing.

I find the remaining charge goes down faster the first couple and last couple days of a charge the rate to go down faster.

I'm a very heavy user with my 4 cams, each doing 20-40 x120sec recordings as well as several live views a day.

My Tenergy rechargeables go down about 6-8 % each per day, so averaging about 2 weeks between charges, something I consider quite acceptable considering the high use

cypress708
Guide
Guide

Zero total recordings made during the 26 days of the first charge.  I watched live about 4-6 times during the first 10-12 days, felt like a pattern was established at -5% per day, and stopped live watching after day 12.  

The discharge rate has been very irregular on second charge: day 1/-15%, day 2/-5%, day 3/-10%.  Zero recordings, Zero live watches.  I'm going to let it discharge completely then recharge them and change to a different camera.  

manfredz
Hero
Hero

if you have a volymeter see if the voltage of each battery is 4.2-4.3 volts after charging

cypress708
Guide
Guide

That's good advice, thanks.  I have a multimeter and will test them after next recharge.  

adamace43
Aspirant
Aspirant

G'day team,

I'm using 2 x Arlo cameras and it's time to change the batteries out after a few months. The recommended Tenergy batteries  are unavailable in Australia.  I tried via Amazon but unfortunatley they don't deliver down under (Australia). Can anyone recommend another rechargable CR123A battery brand they've had experience with and/or a retailer to supply these? Thanks in advance

manfredz
Hero
Hero

I use the Tenergy rechargeables in 3 of my 4 cams and Nitecore rechargeables in the 4th.  Find them every bit as good. Hopefully you can get them down under.

adamace43
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hey thanks Manfredz!

Found Nitecore on ebay.com.au - accessible and available:

Netgear Arlo Camera Rechargeable CR123A Battery & D4 Charger Kit by Nitecore

Legend, cheers mate

manfredz
Hero
Hero

Thats not a bad price either for charger plus 8 batteries. Believe our dollar's roughly the same.  Think I paid about Cdn$ 70 for charger plus 4 batteries.

Voltage is universal but guess you'll need an adapter plug, or since the plug into the charger is pretty standard, get a cable with proper plug.

adamace43
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi Manfredz,

Sorry mate, one last question. Just reading through the spec of the Nitecore battery and states 3.7V as oppossed to 3V. Will that be an issue or still capatible with Arlo cameras?

Specifications:

• Battery Size: RCR123A (16340)
  • Battery Chemistry: Lithium Ion (Li-Ion)
  • Voltage: 3.7V
cypress708
Guide
Guide

New observation about the rechargeables.  I checked the charge this morning and it was unchanged from yesterday.  Restarted Arlo and it dropped 3%.  Did the same yesterday with same result.  All of my other cameras (with single-use batteries) power levels remain unchanged after restart.

manfredz
Hero
Hero

adamace.   the rechargables are 3.7v and throwaways 3.0.

there are also 3.0 rechargeables frpm some manufacterers - these wont work on arlo.

if you have a voltmeter, after charging the rechargeables should show 4.2-4.3 v after charging

manfredz
Hero
Hero

cypress  how much are you recording and live viewing to account for this 3% drop.?

I've found my rechargeables drop faster the first few days, and last few days of charge.

adamace43
Aspirant
Aspirant

Manfredz, you're a legend!

Thanks for all your assistance.

Cheers again