Recording for a set time period

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
FAAR
Aspirant
Aspirant

I bought these cameras to record bird activity, however the motion sensor does not pick up the bird movement, perhaps the birds are too small. So instead of using motion triggered recordings, I would like to record all bird activity during a set time period (e.g. 9pm to 6am). Is there a way to continuously record video over a specific time period? I would like to be able to schedule it so that I don't have to be at my computer to manually start the recording. Also, I have found that manual recordings can cut out if the internet connection is dropped for some reason, and then the recordings do not start back up again - so even if I wanted to record for 8 hours, if the connection craps out in the first half hour, that's it, no more recordings.

2 REPLIES 2
Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy

FAAR wrote:

I bought these cameras to record bird activity, however the motion sensor does not pick up the bird movement, perhaps the birds are too small. So instead of using motion triggered recordings, I would like to record all bird activity during a set time period (e.g. 9pm to 6am). Is there a way to continuously record video over a specific time period? I would like to be able to schedule it so that I don't have to be at my computer to manually start the recording. Also, I have found that manual recordings can cut out if the internet connection is dropped for some reason, and then the recordings do not start back up again - so even if I wanted to record for 8 hours, if the connection craps out in the first half hour, that's it, no more recordings.

Boy, oh, boy. You want to record bird activity for several hours with an Arlo wire-free camera? Are you sure you're in the right subforum?

The Arlo Q camera is much better fitted for that job, except you'd have to place it indoors and record through a window, since it's not weatherproof like the wire-free cameras.

You do realize the Arlo wire-free cameras have batteries inside them? They would last a few hours on continuous recording and then their batteries are DEPLETED. You'd be swapping batteries on a daily basis.

But first things first. Why your camera(s) don't react to bird movements is hard to tell. Are you sure they are armed? To verify this, make sure the running man icon on the camera page is in black (armed) rather than grey (disarmed). Have you tried different motion detection sensitivities. I'd recommend creating a new (custom) mode, sometimes the default Armed mode seems a little unreliable I've read from other users in the forums.

And you don't have the Arlo wire-free cameras placed indoors behind glass and have oriented them to the outside? Arlo wire-free cameras won't sense any motion through glass.

How close are the cameras to your birds' movements?

I'm not aware of a way to program recording, let alone for the duration you're asking. Even manual recording only goes for a maximum of 30 minutes, then you'd have to restart the recording, again manually.

So, from what I can gather, I don't think you bought the right cameras for your requirements. If you still can, return them to the place where you bought them for a refund and buy something else.

FAAR
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply, it is what I suspected, but good to have confirmation. Someone else bought the cameras months ago and I am just now setting them up. They may still be useful for some of our purposes, the video quality is not bad. We do have wired cameras as well. Wireless is just obviously nicer for many reasons, with the exception of battery life. Also the ridiculousness in this system of having to record to the cloud rather than directly to your computer...