Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Coltsbro84
Star
Star

I am looking for the best rechargeable CR123 batteries that I can find, for use with my Netgear Arlo four cam system. I bought the green stripe Tenergy that claim to have 750mah power. Six batteries with a charger run about $25. I'm not happy with these batteries, because when fully charged (only takes about an hour to charge with a 500mah charger, from what I understand, it exerts as much energy as it stores, so I'm thinking that these batteries are more like 200mah) but back to the story, when fully charged, these batteries only show the camera as being half charged, with a day's use putting it into the low battery icon, and only lasting about a week.

I have since then ordered four Nitecore batteries, rated at 3.7 volts and 650mah. Now the volts are 0.5 higher than what's to be used with the camera, I'm hoping that this does not affect the camera. 650mah is probably true from the reviews and the steep price tag they are asking of around $10 per battery. I'm hoping that they are quality batteries and worth it, and I purchased a Nitecore charger to go with it. I'll be able to test them out here in a few days and get back with everyone on performance.

I just want to know, has anyone tried the rechargeable batteries that I have mentioned? Or do you have other suggestions?

Tenergy (link here: http://www.amazon.com/Kits-RCR123A-LiFePO4-Rechargeable-Batteries/dp/B001EYHO9G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&a...

Nitecore (link here: : http://www.amazon.com/Nitecore-RCR123A-Protected-Rechargeable-Battery-Black/dp/B00D2OCQB2/ref=pd_sim...

Nitecore charger here http://www.amazon.com/Nitecore-IntelliCharger-i4-Battery-Charger/dp/B005UAI372/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&am...

845 REPLIES 845
CameraGuy
Initiate
Initiate

Dear forum Users,

I have read the great thread on this topic, so may I ask in conclusion?  The EagleTrac batteries are the best, but which ones, and which charger, please? 

By the way, I bought the Tenergy RCR123A batteries with recharger, and when the charge went out, they didn't recharge - the light stayed green.  The person at 123batteries.com said that these are not good batteries for Arlo cameras, because once they drain complely, they will not recharge.  I think this is bunk, and I asked for a full refund.  They agreed.

So which batteries and charger, please?

Best,

CameraGuy

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

CameraGuy wrote:

Dear forum Users,

I have read the great thread on this topic, so may I ask in conclusion?  The EagleTrac batteries are the best, but which ones, and which charger, please? 

By the way, I bought the Tenergy RCR123A batteries with recharger, and when the charge went out, they didn't recharge - the light stayed green.  The person at 123batteries.com said that these are not good batteries for Arlo cameras, because once they drain complely, they will not recharge.  I think this is bunk, and I asked for a full refund.  They agreed.

So which batteries and charger, please?

Best,

CameraGuy

This has been answered several times. The EagleTac 750mAH batteries and the Nitecore D4 are the current darlings.

CameraGuy
Initiate
Initiate

Great - much appreciated.  These are the ones advertised with Going Gear: 

EagleTac Protected RCR123A 16340 750mah Li-Ion Rechargeable Battery

Thanks for the reply - these are sold out but I will back order.

ant
Mentor
Mentor

jguerdat wrote:

This has been answered several times. The EagleTac 750mAH batteries and the Nitecore D4 are the current darlings.

Where are the best places to buy these? Do local retail stores even carry these? I didn't see them in like Fry's Electronics, Best Buy, etc.
RobertRosal
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

TomMac wrote:

the less we play ( after having the system for a while ) , the longer the batteries last !  🙂

PS... that bested my 63 days with a low use cam....  Sounds great, any idea as to aprox daily usage?

You are correct, now that I have brought the camera with the TangsFire down to an average 2 minutes per day.  It looks like this next run with them will last much longer.

Now if I can drop my average usage of 6 minutes a day on the camera with the EagleTac's, that would be great.  I can't complain though, at the 49th day of use and still going!

-Robert
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The person at 123batteries.com said that these are not good batteries for Arlo cameras, because once they drain complely, they will not recharge.  I think this is bunk, and I asked for a full refund. 

That's what the PCB ( battery protection ) on some of the better batteries do... stop them from draining to low and over charging.

Some of the rechargeables cells if drained to low get damaged.  This damage can make it hard to charge

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

ant wrote:

jguerdat wrote:

Where are the best places to buy these? Do local retail stores even carry these? I didn't see them in like Fry's Electronics, Best Buy, etc.

Google is your friend...

Tats
Apprentice
Apprentice
TOMMAC, you wrote :
"So if your going to use rechargeables and can take voltage readings, try and go through all the cells you have to make closely matched sets.
You want to match the cells for longest run time and to avoid the possiblity of one cell being low ( or a bad cell) and causing a cell reversal. Remeber that the cells come off charge about 4.3v or so and settle to values like above... but their useful run is like about 1v+ and they are considered dead at about 2.9v+/-."

I've noticed using my Nitecore D2 battery charger that each of my Nitecore batteries fill up at 4.2 volts. Several hours later, the voltage starts decreasing while in a bin with other completely charged batteries. I started popping each one back into the charger to "top off" the batteries and get them to the same 4.2 volts on all four then inserting them into the cameras. They seem to last lDConger this way. Do you see a problem doing this each time? Do these batteries have "memories" or other things about them that make this practice a bad idea?
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Nitecore batteries fill up at 4.2 volts. Several hours later, the voltage starts decreasing while in a bin with other completely charged batteries. I started popping each one back into the charger to "top off" the batteries and get them to the same 4.2 volts on all four then inserting them into the cameras. They seem to last lDConger this way. Do you see a problem doing this each time? Do these batteries have "memories" or other things about them that make this practice a bad idea?

4.2v is what you should be seeing after a full charge so no problem there.

All charged batteries will "settle" after coming off charge for a couple of hours or so and the voltage will be slightly lower maybe in the area of 4.17-4.19

The batteries do not have a 'memory effect' ( btw actually goes back to batteries in space satellites where there was drain and then a set # of charge hours, they found the batteries would actually set full at a lower voltage ).

All charge batteries have a bit of self-discharge over time... so I guess its how long you leave them in a bin sitting.  I usu charge all my battery devices at least every other month to keep them up.

I'd prob not do it if they were charged in the last week or so, but also,  with a good charger it shouldn't hurt anything.  Sometime it's easier to drop in the charger than test the voltage on cells.

Tats
Apprentice
Apprentice
Thank you. 4.15 is after two days of sitting in the bin. I have Nitecore and Eagletac batteries now, switching from Ultrafire, because I want the security of the protected batteries. I will be testing both brands on 2 outside cameras, programed to go off and record for 45 seconds every time the other camera detects motion. I will report which battery outlast the other in a few weeks (I hope).
silversaver
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi guys,

I have pick up the 4 cam system from BestBuy, so far so good. I was looking for a wireless system for outdoor and now I found it. I was looking for replacement rechargeable batteries for the Arlo and I found this forum. Excellent information with inputs from among users. I have settle for 20 X Eagletac + the D4 chargers. Everywhere I search for the Eagletac has pretty high price as $5+ per battery. I found a seller website from eBay seller offering $4.50 each. So if you are looking for Eagletac at higher price, let me know I'll share the seller info. I just order the batteries last night, so they should be coming in few days.

Thanks again,

ctrack
Luminary
Luminary

I've been reading the rechargeable posts and recently ordered 12 Ultrafire 1000mAh.  Rated at 3.7V.  I also purchased a NiteCore charger and charged the batteries.  So far I haven't used the batteries since I am using up my original set of energizers.  Has anyone worked up a list of acceptable rechargeables for the cameras? There are quite a few recommendations on the subject.  I hope to test these rechargeable batteries soon and will post results.  Thanks to all the posts, looking forward to more information on the subject.

Tats
Apprentice
Apprentice

PRELIMINARY COMPARISON OF EAGLETACs and NITECORES

So my EagleTacs finally died on my one camera.  The Nitecore is still at 1/2 green bars.  I am going to do another test once the Nitecores die putting the Nitecores in the camera that had the EagleTac's and vice versa to see if the results are different depending on the camera.  Once I've done 2 tests, I will post my findings in the discussion on Rechargeable Batteries.  But here is what I've found so far:

I did this test starting on 9/11/2015 with 2 cameras outside, one facing my Driveway (D) and one facing my Front Door (F).

The Driveway had Nitecores and the Front Door had EagleTacs.

Both cameras were set to "Best Video" and I created rules so that if one camera is activated, the other will start recording.  Both were programed to record for 45 seconds.  Even tho the rules were set this way, often one (the Driveway) camera would record more than the Front Door camera. I didn't realize this until after day 3.  The first three days I assumed that both would be identical and logged in the video counts for only one camera. Once I realized that the Driveway (with Nitecore batteries) was generally capturing more video, I started to log each individually.

I got the low battery (15%) warning on the EagleTacs on 10/4/2015 after about 552 videos (24,840 seconds or 414 minutes).  The Nitecores had recorded about 577 videos (25,965 seconds or 432.75 minutes).  (I cannot remember if the Nitecores at this time was at 1/2 bar or not.)

On 10/6/2015, I got the notice to replace the EagleTacs at my Front Door.  The video count for the EagleTacs at my Front Door from 9/11/2015 to 10/6/2015 was 620 videos (27,900 seconds or 465 minutes).  The video count for the Nitecores at my Driveway was 644 videos (28,980 seconds or 483 minutes).  The Nitecores are still at 1/2 bar.

Below is a picture of the spreadsheet showing the daily number of 45 seconds video files.  Some days there was more activity than others, and for whatever reason, more videos were captured in the Driveway.  Even with more videos, the Driveway with the Nitecores are still going strong.  

I will update this after the Nitecores finally die and do another test reversing the battery brands.  The Nitecores were more expensive than the Eagletacs, but if they last a month, with the high quality video setting, I will be happy with them.

DRIVEWAY= EAGLETACS     FRONT DOOR= NITECORES

Arlo Battery Comp.png

RobertRosal
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Tats wrote:

PRELIMINARY COMPARISON OF EAGLETACs and NITECORES

So my EagleTacs finally died on my one camera.  The Nitecore is still at 1/2 green bars.  I am going to do another test once the Nitecores die putting the Nitecores in the camera that had the EagleTac's and vice versa to see if the results are different depending on the camera.  Once I've done 2 tests, I will post my findings in the discussion on Rechargeable Batteries.  But here is what I've found so far:

I did this test starting on 9/11/2015 with 2 cameras outside, one facing my Driveway (D) and one facing my Front Door (F).

The Driveway had Nitecores and the Front Door had EagleTacs.

Both cameras were set to "Best Video" and I created rules so that if one camera is activated, the other will start recording.  Both were programed to record for 45 seconds.  Even tho the rules were set this way, often one (the Driveway) camera would record more than the Front Door camera. I didn't realize this until after day 3.  The first three days I assumed that both would be identical and logged in the video counts for only one camera. Once I realized that the Driveway (with Nitecore batteries) was generally capturing more video, I started to log each individually.

I got the low battery (15%) warning on the EagleTacs on 10/4/2015 after about 552 videos (24,840 seconds or 414 minutes).  The Nitecores had recorded about 577 videos (25,965 seconds or 432.75 minutes).  (I cannot remember if the Nitecores at this time was at 1/2 bar or not.)

On 10/6/2015, I got the notice to replace the EagleTacs at my Front Door.  The video count for the EagleTacs at my Front Door from 9/11/2015 to 10/6/2015 was 620 videos (27,900 seconds or 465 minutes).  The video count for the Nitecores at my Driveway was 644 videos (28,980 seconds or 483 minutes).  The Nitecores are still at 1/2 bar.

Below is a picture of the spreadsheet showing the daily number of 45 seconds video files.  Some days there was more activity than others, and for whatever reason, more videos were captured in the Driveway.  Even with more videos, the Driveway with the Nitecores are still going strong.  

I will update this after the Nitecores finally die and do another test reversing the battery brands.  The Nitecores were more expensive than the Eagletacs, but if they last a month, with the high quality video setting, I will be happy with them.

DRIVEWAY= EAGLETACS     FRONT DOOR= NITECORES

Arlo Battery Comp.png

I think you have the Column titles reversed.  As you say the NiteCore's are still running.

Great job on the testing.  You really work those batteries and they both look to have good longevity for rechargeables with the NiteCore's so far on top.

Keep us updated once they are swapped out.

Again great job!

-Robert
Tats
Apprentice
Apprentice

Opps you are right Robert, I did get the Column titles reversed.  Of course it is too late to edit it now, but I will for the next update. Thanks! Woman Very Happy

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

And you put it in the wrong thread ... about battery fires 🙂

but still good data... thanks 

if able copy paste to other thread

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Buying-Options-Tips/Rechargeable-batteries-for-use-with-Arlo-camera...

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Prob the best thread is here;  https://community.netgear.com/t5/Buying-Options-Tips/Rechargable-battery-usage-vs-time-by-type-post-...

it gives the time/usage of brands.

I think the winner is the Eagletec ( IIRR )

Tats
Apprentice
Apprentice

My Nitecores died 2 days after the EagleTacs.  The final run time on both batteries with recap is below. 

EAGLETACS:  I got the low battery (15%) warning 10/4/2015 (testing started 9/11) after about 552 videos (24,840 seconds or 414 minutes).  On 10/6/2015, I got the notice to replace the EagleTacs at my Front Door.  The total video count for the EagleTacs at my Front Door from 9/11/2015 to 10/6/2015 was 620 videos (27,900 seconds or 465 minutes). 

NITECORES:   I got the low battery (15%) warning 10/7/2015 (testing started 9/11) after about 668 videos (30,060 seconds or 501 minutes).  On 10/8/2015, I got the notice to replace the Nitecores.  The total video count for the Nitecores from 9/11/2015 to 10/8/2015 was 713 videos (32,085 seconds or 534.75 minutes). 

Netgear defines Normal usage "as 4 minutes of viewing or recording per day with the wireless camera in the Optimized setting" and they expect batteries to last 4 to 6 months (480 minutes to 720 minutes). Both of my cameras were set at "Best Video" mode and definitely recorded more than 4 minutes a day as I had one camera motion/recording automatically set off the other. Based on Netgear's expectations, I believe both the EAGLETACS and NITECORES performed well.  The NITECORES (4 batteries costing $10 more) lasted 69 minutes longer than the EagleTacs. 

I am going to repeat this test and place the Nitecores in the Camera that previously had the EagleTacs and vice versa.  I will update this when both batteries die in about a month (possibly sooner as the weather is getting colder).

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Thanks... very good info.

please add to the thread is able;

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Buying-Options-Tips/Rechargable-battery-usage-vs-time-by-type-post-...

I also know that there are two types of users here re rechargeables... those that run high mins like you and those that run like me ( spec time or under ).

Two things I have noticed tho,( all high quality video for me )

1)high usage seems to be better in the quality rechargeables like you tested even over OEM primaries. I've run both types of batteries and it was almost a push as to the winners in high usage, BUT the primaries cells are trash and the rechargeables good for 200-300 charge cycles.

2) low level usage <3-4 mins per day is where the OEM cells shine. Rechargeables max out for me in the mid 50 day range, while OEM primary cells run 3 1/2 to 7 months* (* very low usage)... average time of just about 4 months.

ctrack
Luminary
Luminary

I have noted the testing of rechargeable batteries and all very good info.  It seems that 1000s do as good a job as any rating that's higher, i.e. 2300s etc.

Another question about testing, are the batteries placed in the cameras immediately after fully charged? Or, is there any time period between chargeing and putting batteries into use?

My experience has been with batteries that if left to sit for a period their usuage time declines.  I have not used lithium ion batteries except in laptops so I have limited experience in this area..

Thanks for for all the info, it's been a great help and a money saver!

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

I have noted the testing of rechargeable batteries and all very good info.  It seems that 1000s do as good a job as any rating that's higher, i.e. 2300s etc.

That's because the 1000's are close to the same size as the rated 2300's....  NO CR123 size rechargeable will be more than aprox 1/2 of the primary OEM cells ( which are 1500mahr ).  The size factor makes it physically impossible to fit more than about 700mahr of chemistry. Any rechargeable in the 123 size that says it's 1000 mahr hour or more is 1)lying 2) used a skew'ed test to make it rated higher ... either way BS.

That's why its improtant to buy a 'known' brand at about a true rating of 650-750 mahr... and usu that means not from china

Another question about testing, are the batteries placed in the cameras immediately after fully charged? Or, is there any time period between chargeing and putting batteries into use?

The Li-ion 3.7v cells come off charge at just about 4.2v.  If they sit for a few hours you'll see about 4.17-4.19v.

After a few days you may see about 4.15v.  It's all good either way... just put them in as the higher voltages will drop quickly to the working upper voltage.

TheBubbleGuy
Initiate
Initiate

Hi ... I really appreciate the fact that you guys have done so much testing and have shared the results of those tests.

Last week I read every post in the thread and learned a lot. Then I ordered, through Amazon, a dozen Li-ion EagTac 3.7v 750mAh IC Protection batteries to replace the Tenergy RCR123A 3.0v LiFePO4 batteries that have been so disappointing. I was really glad when then came yesterday and I immediately put four into the Nitecore D4 charger that also arrived yesterday from a different source.

I think that I was a little too glad because only after those four charged and I charged another four did I realize that these batteries are way too big to fit in that camera.

I looked again ... they say on them EAGTAC 3.7v 750mAh IC Protection ... was there something else that I was meant to look out for? There is a line above that says 14500 Li-ion rechargable battery ... all of this is written on a sticker on every battery. But they are the size of a normal AA battery.

I ordered through Amazon ... maybe they will take them back ... but whether they do or not ... any hints on what I should look for to get the ones that you guys tested and recommended?

Tom

Tats
Apprentice
Apprentice

TomMac wrote:

"1)high usage seems to be better in the quality rechargeables like you tested even over OEM primaries. I've run both types of batteries and it was almost a push as to the winners in high usage, BUT the primaries cells are trash and the rechargeables good for 200-300 charge cycles."

I have a REALLY high use camera that records on average about 250 minutes a day.  I have one currently that is at half bars and has been running about 4 maybe 5 days.  I went back and counted the last 3 days and it recorded, 771 minutes.  This is more than the 2 "lighter" use cameras I wrote about.

I have Nitecores in this camera.  I previously had Ultrafires which I had to change out almost every other day. I can go about a week with the Nitecores.  I will do a full usage testing on it next time I switch out this camera batteries.

Tats
Apprentice
Apprentice
Tom,

My Eagletac batteries were purchased through LightJunction. 3.7v 750mAh IC Protection. The numbers above say 16340 Li-on Rechargeable Battery. I don't know the significance of the number before "Li-on" but noted that mine are different from yours. These fit in the cameras. I switched from Ultrafire batteries because I wanted Protected batteries to reduce risk of fire.
Tats
Apprentice
Apprentice
For what it is worth, I prefer the feel and performance of the Nitecore batteries which are more expensive and look it. They are protected as well.