Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Coltsbro84
Star
Star

I am looking for the best rechargeable CR123 batteries that I can find, for use with my Netgear Arlo four cam system. I bought the green stripe Tenergy that claim to have 750mah power. Six batteries with a charger run about $25. I'm not happy with these batteries, because when fully charged (only takes about an hour to charge with a 500mah charger, from what I understand, it exerts as much energy as it stores, so I'm thinking that these batteries are more like 200mah) but back to the story, when fully charged, these batteries only show the camera as being half charged, with a day's use putting it into the low battery icon, and only lasting about a week.

I have since then ordered four Nitecore batteries, rated at 3.7 volts and 650mah. Now the volts are 0.5 higher than what's to be used with the camera, I'm hoping that this does not affect the camera. 650mah is probably true from the reviews and the steep price tag they are asking of around $10 per battery. I'm hoping that they are quality batteries and worth it, and I purchased a Nitecore charger to go with it. I'll be able to test them out here in a few days and get back with everyone on performance.

I just want to know, has anyone tried the rechargeable batteries that I have mentioned? Or do you have other suggestions?

Tenergy (link here: http://www.amazon.com/Kits-RCR123A-LiFePO4-Rechargeable-Batteries/dp/B001EYHO9G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&a...

Nitecore (link here: : http://www.amazon.com/Nitecore-RCR123A-Protected-Rechargeable-Battery-Black/dp/B00D2OCQB2/ref=pd_sim...

Nitecore charger here http://www.amazon.com/Nitecore-IntelliCharger-i4-Battery-Charger/dp/B005UAI372/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&am...

845 REPLIES 845
bertlabbe
Aspirant
Aspirant
Another option is to increase the utilization between recharge with the use of a remote battery that has much higher mAh along with charger capabilities.
bertlabbe
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yes, that's why a remote battery would open the door to much larger batteries, longer life between recharge and would eliminate battery removal. Just plug in the recharger.
smudgetool
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for everyone for the responses. I did forget to mention my usage. I have had four cameras installed for 13 months now. 3 of my four cameras are at 76% with only one at 2%. I live in the mountains and have a few neighbors, but my usage is so small because:

I used the scheduler with Arlo, only turning them on  while at work, 8-5 on weekdays and if i'm out of town. If I am at home I keep them off.  I ended up getting these when someone walked off with a $1000 generator while I was at work. The only thing that activates them is a neighbor bringing me mail, a repairman or my landlady walking by, a dog, cat or bobcat and the occassional hummingbird that swings by for a photo-op.  So yeah, not much wasted streaming or recording on this end. The only reason one camera is low is due to me causing it to record needlessly but it still alarms me that it did drop to 2% so quickly, so maybe there's something more going on with that cam and batteries. I think that due to my low usage and long battery life, that rechargables are the way to go, but I totally see both sides to this. Thanks again.

NETthisGEAR
Apprentice
Apprentice

As a reminder, the only rechargeable batteries recommended by NETGEAR for use with Arlo Wire-Free cameras are the Tenergy batteries found here: Rechargeable Battery and Charger by Tenergy

For other battery related questions, see here: What do I need to know about Arlo Wire-Free camera batteries?

JamesC

--------------------

I also wanted to comment that there are safety rules for the batteries.

https://kb.arlo.com/980150/Safety-Rules-for-Arlo-Wire-Free-Camera-Batteries

You don't want to use knockoff brands because they can blow up/cause fires.

RayJanz55
Aspirant
Aspirant

These are high drain camera and no rechargeable battery can survive these cameras...very poor r and d went into this.

it doesnt matter how good the cameras are...Arlo must hold stock in battery companies and thats really where their making their money....on kick backs.

My cameras are going back....

manfredz
Hero
Hero

Bull.  Unless you're recording hundreds of times each day, good quality rechargeables, like the recommended Tenergys, serve their purpose well.

RayJanz55
Aspirant
Aspirant

I will cut down on record time....and will possibly try the Tenergy.

...also my charger may not be operating at peak...

i will experiement a little more before returning.

we will see....

PeterNZ
Aspirant
Aspirant

allangoveas wrote:

Has anyone used the Hixon rechargeale batteries with the Arlo cameras?
Can you please give me your feedback as Tenergy doesnt supplyt to New Zealand
and the Nitecore batteries which I brought doesnt fit properly and get stuck when need to rechage them and was a nightmare removing them and they got damaged?

Do you know any other rechargeable batteries I can buy in New Zealand?

THanks a lot

Just a note, you can use New Zealand Post's YouShop which gives you an address in US, China and UK. It isn't too expensive and allows you to ship items from alsmot anywhere in the world to New Zealand. 

Cheers

Peter

RayJanz55
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have replaced the re-chargeable batteries with new ones and sent the other ones back and now the system is working good.

Lchristi2
Aspirant
Aspirant
What is the difference between the red and purple? If any?
GTL 2300mAh 16340 CR123A 3.7v Li-ion Rechargeables
CCNE37
Apprentice
Apprentice

Both are crap.

Do yourself a favour and read the thread. It is mnetioned several times that the maximum "real" capacity of these batteries is around 700mAh, so 2300mAh is a pipe-dream. These are cheap eBay batteries that may or may not fit in the cameras, usually do not have over-charge protection, and have a real capacity of around 350mAh.

Buy what has been recommended here by others.

SteenJJ
Aspirant
Aspirant

What about Netgear Arlo supporting their Australian customers by making Tenergy batteries available in Australia !

CCNE37
Apprentice
Apprentice

I think the likelihood of that happening is pretty slim.

I had some Nitecore batteries delivered to me in Brisbane by Gearbest a couple of years ago - first attempt was FastTech and they were hopeless - still not here after 11 weeks, so I got a refund. IMO (as reading this thread from the start demonstrates), there are several very good alternatives to the Tenergy - in fact, until "recently" when Netgear recommended them, I don't think Tenergy ever got a mention here. I have been using Nitecore for almost 2 years without a problem.

Other options were (at the time) some Olight from Singapore off eBay.

Lchristi2
Aspirant
Aspirant
I didn’t have a chance to read all 800 threads but at the beginning, there were 2 super users that raved about the gtl so that’s why I made my decision to go with them.. they tested them and said they were better then Tenergy brand..
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

That was VERY early on. We learned a lot and quickly changed our tunes, especially as the understanding of the chemistry, electronics and fire risks were understood.  That's exactly why Netgear certified the Tenergy batteries, to help eliminate the guessing.

With any big thread I read, I'll glance at the beginning posts to get a sense of what's going on but it's the last few pages that generally have the best information.

My GTLs went into Home Depot's battery recycle bin long ago.

Lchristi2
Aspirant
Aspirant
So which brand has come out on top so far? Tenergy or the nitcore? I’m spending a fortune on batteries and need to make a switch fast?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Tenergy is certified by Netgear and would keep your warranty intact. I happen to use a mix of Nitecore, Tenergy and another quality brand whose name escapes me at the moment. They all have the built-in protection circuitry and are rated around 700mAH.

WWLightning
Aspirant
Aspirant

I don't believe they can void any warranty for anything if you don't use their recommended battery.  If they require it, they must provide it.  My info never said I had to use Tenergy batteries.  A little law, The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.  You are required to use a minimum spec.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

I use Ultrafire 880mAH RCR123A and swear they last longer than my old lithiums ever did. Nitecore D4 charger here too.

I would think non-certified batteries would only be a problem if they were fakes bought off eBay, of which I suspect there are many. 2300mAH?? Yeah right!

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

WWLightning wrote:

I don't believe they can void any warranty for anything if you don't use their recommended battery.  If they require it, they must provide it.  My info never said I had to use Tenergy batteries.  A little law, The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.  You are required to use a minimum spec.

Originally, rechargeables were disallowed. Now, the specific Tenergy rechargeables are listed/sold. That covers the warranty part.

WWLightning
Aspirant
Aspirant

This in no way means if you don't buy Tenergy that your warranty will be voided.  They can suggest all they wish.  The Warranty Act remains.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's your warranty - do as you wish.

WWLightning
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks.  I will.  I'm just making a statement so that others are not mislead.  They too, can go look up the law.  Fairly simple anymore.  Have a great day!!!

Joane
Aspirant
Aspirant
Where to get rechargeable battery at Malaysia ?
gmking12345
Aspirant
Aspirant

Can someone please recommend a good battery replacement for my Arlo Wireless cameras?  I have been searching the CR123A lithium batteries on Amazon and most of them state they are not compatible with the Arlo cameras.  I am needing to replace a set and not having much luck.  I would like to hear your experience.  I really don't want to purchase the rechargeable batteries as it would be easier to just replace with disposible so I only have to get the ladder out once.