Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Coltsbro84
Star
Star

I am looking for the best rechargeable CR123 batteries that I can find, for use with my Netgear Arlo four cam system. I bought the green stripe Tenergy that claim to have 750mah power. Six batteries with a charger run about $25. I'm not happy with these batteries, because when fully charged (only takes about an hour to charge with a 500mah charger, from what I understand, it exerts as much energy as it stores, so I'm thinking that these batteries are more like 200mah) but back to the story, when fully charged, these batteries only show the camera as being half charged, with a day's use putting it into the low battery icon, and only lasting about a week.

I have since then ordered four Nitecore batteries, rated at 3.7 volts and 650mah. Now the volts are 0.5 higher than what's to be used with the camera, I'm hoping that this does not affect the camera. 650mah is probably true from the reviews and the steep price tag they are asking of around $10 per battery. I'm hoping that they are quality batteries and worth it, and I purchased a Nitecore charger to go with it. I'll be able to test them out here in a few days and get back with everyone on performance.

I just want to know, has anyone tried the rechargeable batteries that I have mentioned? Or do you have other suggestions?

Tenergy (link here: http://www.amazon.com/Kits-RCR123A-LiFePO4-Rechargeable-Batteries/dp/B001EYHO9G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&a...

Nitecore (link here: : http://www.amazon.com/Nitecore-RCR123A-Protected-Rechargeable-Battery-Black/dp/B00D2OCQB2/ref=pd_sim...

Nitecore charger here http://www.amazon.com/Nitecore-IntelliCharger-i4-Battery-Charger/dp/B005UAI372/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&am...

845 REPLIES 845
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

As a reminder, the only rechargeable batteries recommended by NETGEAR for use with Arlo Wire-Free cameras are the Tenergy batteries found here: Rechargeable Battery and Charger by Tenergy

For other battery related questions, see here: What do I need to know about Arlo Wire-Free camera batteries?

JamesC

Narlo
Tutor
Tutor

@JamesC Those batteries aren't available in Australia. And your site doesn't ship to Australia either. 

PicturePerfect
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have had success with purchasing Tenergy batteries and charger in Australia.

Go to a site called Ubuy.com. I have paid and had delivered the Tenergy charger and Batteries No Problems getting them here.

I have charged them and are now using  them. They seem to work great, the battery's indicator shows full.

here is the linc. https://www.u-buy.com.au/

Cheers

manfredz
Hero
Hero

prices seem comparable to what i pay here in canada.  don't know hoever how much they zing you for shipping and if likely that customs will walk some duty

PicturePerfect
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes Duty was around $35.00 AUS and also the Aussie dollar is a factor around $.75 to US

But even so, I couldn't get them here in Australia for some reason.

Very Happy.

manfredz
Hero
Hero

oz dollar about par with canadian. i paid Cdn $40 for 4 batteries and Cdn$ 65 for 4 batteries with charger.

but should recover costs quickly if you use a lot and since Netgear certifies the Tenergys, you won't run risk of voiding warranty which could happen with other rechargeables.

Think you may have made some other oz arlo users happy with your info

PicturePerfect
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes lets hope anyone here in Australia with the same issue reads this.

manfredz
Hero
Hero

i've copied your post to mt notepad tips txt for easy reference cause regularly see posts of oz folks asking where to get or complaining cant get

Techlore
Apprentice
Apprentice

This

I saw some people saying that the user manual says not to use rechargeable batteries. Which it does. However the Arlo Tenergy batteries are approved and as far as I've seen the only ones that should be used.

Arlo Wire-Free cameras have been designed for use with primary, non-rechargeable batteries. For the best possible Arlo experience, WE STRONGLY RECOMMEND using the non-rechargeable batteries supplied with your Arlo Wire-Free cameras, or non-rechargeable high-quality batteries from other, established, well-known manufacturers such as Panasonic®, Energizer®, or Duracell®. Because many rechargeable batteries on the market are counterfeits or of inferior quality, WE STRONGLY DISCOURAGE the use of any rechargeable batteries with your Arlo Wire-Free cameras, as they may pose a fire or burn hazard. They may also damage your camera.

Moral of the story is, only use the Approved tenergy batteries or there is a chance at a fire.

sawan
Aspirant
Aspirant

Really sorry to wake up this very long thread, I am getting my Arlo cams tomorrow, I've checked online, the market is full of fake CR123A rechargeable batteries(2000+ MAh), after a long time looking around, I found (Exposure RCR123A 3.7v, 700 MAh), which is available on the market with a charger at a good price (got 8pk+charger for about £35).

https://www.evanscycles.com/exposure-rcr123-rechargeable-batteries-EV176725?esvt=52828-GOUKE1989678&...

http://www.gbcycles.co.uk/p/77630/USE-Exposure--USB-Charger-for-CR123-Batteries?kw=&fl=1000&ci=44622...

Has anyone tried them? are they any good?

Also, for the battery level indicator, would it be accurate with such 700 MAH 3.7v rechargeable batteries?

Techlore
Apprentice
Apprentice

I copied and pasted from the user manual in the post before yours. It is recommended that you only use the Tenergy batteries approved my NETGEAR.

Other batteries can start a fire or ruin your cameras.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The biggest issue with the Tenergy batteries is the lack of availability in many countries.  WHile those are certainly THE recommendation, others that have similar characteristics have proven to be acceptable.  The key is to use quality batteries that aren't over-rated and that have built-in protection circuitry.  It's the unprotected ones that have caused the issues, allowing overheating and meltdowns/fires.  I dumped mine at Home Depot's recycle center and have been using Eagletacs charged by a Nitecore D4 charger with no issues.

allangoveas
Tutor
Tutor

Has anyone used the Hixon rechargeale batteries with the Arlo cameras?
Can you please give me your feedback as Tenergy doesnt supplyt to New Zealand
and the Nitecore batteries which I brought doesnt fit properly and get stuck when need to rechage them and was a nightmare removing them and they got damaged?

Do you know any other rechargeable batteries I can buy in New Zealand?

THanks a lot

Timeout
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am confused about which battery to use in my Arlo Wireless HD 3 camera system.

This site suggest a the 3.7v cr123a li ion lithium RECHARGEABLE batteries and sells them on this site for my camera. The owners' manual on page 39 says Arlo Wire Free cameras have been designed for sue with primary NON rechargeable batteris. Strongly recommend NON recharging batteries.

So which is it?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The manual has old info. Quality rechargeables are fine and Netgear has certified the Tenergy batteries.

bertlabbe
Aspirant
Aspirant

Looking for CR123 rechargeable batteries that would be safe and acceptable to use with my Arlo Cameras.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/products/arlo/tenergy_rechargeable_battery_charger.aspx

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
bertlabbe
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks for the info regarding rechargeable batteries for the Arlo.
There is still a bit of confusion in my mind. In the same paragraph or topic, I read CR123 3.0 volt and RCR123a 3.7 volt. Am I being too picky. I am a retired FAA Aviation safety Inspector, So detail has been part of my life for over 50 years.
Txs,
Bert
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Yer not too picky, it's just the difference in chemistry. The non-rechargeables start at 3.2v unloaded while the rechargeables are 3.7v. The initial firmware had some issus with that but has long since resolved. The big difference is the runtime for each type since the rechargeales only support about 1/2 the capacity.

smudgetool
Aspirant
Aspirant

OMG. Who knew that wading through battery replacement would be such a task??!! TomMac, you are amazing. Thanks for all your specifics and input.  

Coltsbro84 wrote:
I tried out the nitecores last night. I charged them with the second generation D4 nitecore charger. They took about 2 1/2 hours to charge, output I believe is at 0.375/hr on the charger while charging four. They are a little bit taller because of the added circut board, but still fit nice in the Arlo camera. . . This morning, the battery level still reads full, where the tenergy batteries fully charged displayed low battery power and died right before an hour and a 1/2 of streaming.

Umm, I could definitely be wrong, but why look further? Ironically, I've already scanned a TON of these pages looking for a direct and concise answer, and this appears to be what I've been looking for all along. Coltsbro, do you have an update on this? That would be great.

And I've got to get this off my chest.  Arlo administrator folks; yes, you whom are the messengers of the Arlo oath of batteries and replacements. I have way to much marketing experience to know a corporate co-op agreement with a battery maker based on your Tenergy recommendations. Why don't you just go ahead and post the legal clauses in the agreement which state, that in exchange for ONLY recommending Tenergy batteries as a qualified replacement for Arlo batteries, that you promise to NEVER endorse another battery or battery product related to your camera systems?  Thank goodness for community forums such as this that allow us, the consumers, who basically write your paychecks, to make alternative choices based on unbiased reviews, usage and knowledge that we can share amongst us.

SteenJJ
Aspirant
Aspirant

Nitecore CR123A 3.7V batteries don't last very long either and they are slightly larger than the 3V recharegable batteries that are currently available.

Even the rechargeable pack for the Arlo Pro doesn't last very long on full charge so in my opinion there is no good rechargeable solution. Non rechargeable batteries are still the best option.

CCNE37
Apprentice
Apprentice

I guess it depends on how you use them.

The longest I have had a set of Nitecores go fo has been 155 days (just over 5 months) with fairly minimal detections.

Generally though they last around 2-4 months clocking up between 1 hour and 4 hours of recordings, which I am happy with.

I would think that if you were recording an hour every day, then they wouldn't last too long, and perhaps a mains fed camera would be a better option.

SteenJJ
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes unfortunaltely our cameras are in  high traffic areas and that has a big impact on battery life. Non recahrgeable battieries are still the best option in that situation because they last up to 3 times longer.

bertlabbe
Aspirant
Aspirant
In my opinion,we have to get around the cost of battery replacement.
If Arlo would use rechargeable batteries connected to a charging system full time and the batteries themselves would provide a good backup during power interruption..
If Arlo doesn't make this happen I have some free time on my hands, so maybe with a little engineering????
manfredz
Hero
Hero

if constantly connected to a charging source, wouldm't you defeat the main advantage of the Arlo, the ability to operate away from a power main?