Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Coltsbro84
Star
Star

I am looking for the best rechargeable CR123 batteries that I can find, for use with my Netgear Arlo four cam system. I bought the green stripe Tenergy that claim to have 750mah power. Six batteries with a charger run about $25. I'm not happy with these batteries, because when fully charged (only takes about an hour to charge with a 500mah charger, from what I understand, it exerts as much energy as it stores, so I'm thinking that these batteries are more like 200mah) but back to the story, when fully charged, these batteries only show the camera as being half charged, with a day's use putting it into the low battery icon, and only lasting about a week.

I have since then ordered four Nitecore batteries, rated at 3.7 volts and 650mah. Now the volts are 0.5 higher than what's to be used with the camera, I'm hoping that this does not affect the camera. 650mah is probably true from the reviews and the steep price tag they are asking of around $10 per battery. I'm hoping that they are quality batteries and worth it, and I purchased a Nitecore charger to go with it. I'll be able to test them out here in a few days and get back with everyone on performance.

I just want to know, has anyone tried the rechargeable batteries that I have mentioned? Or do you have other suggestions?

Tenergy (link here: http://www.amazon.com/Kits-RCR123A-LiFePO4-Rechargeable-Batteries/dp/B001EYHO9G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&a...

Nitecore (link here: : http://www.amazon.com/Nitecore-RCR123A-Protected-Rechargeable-Battery-Black/dp/B00D2OCQB2/ref=pd_sim...

Nitecore charger here http://www.amazon.com/Nitecore-IntelliCharger-i4-Battery-Charger/dp/B005UAI372/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&am...

845 REPLIES 845
wiccawillow
Apprentice
Apprentice

How is everyone getting long battery lifes out of any battery, I puchased my cameras x 7 and so far after 1-month I have had to replace 5 camera batteries.

I have my cameras set for 20 to 30 second clips, High quality and my cameras may record 3 minutes a day of activity.

What is wrong with my cameras, they are brand new.

manfredz
Hero
Hero

You should be getting better than that.

I use the Tenergy rechargeables because I am using mine quite a bit (average 15 to 26 x 120 sec recordings yet I still average 20 to 30 days before recharging a set.  Three cams follow this usage; the 4th is used much less and the batteries last longer.

lifebeginsafter
Aspirant
Aspirant

if memory serves me, on this site, there is an suggested setting for you cameras to get optimal use. I was thinking that just with regular batteries(non-recharable), 5 to 6  months? I have 7 cameras and going to go with what arlo suggests and get the tenergy 650mah gold recharable batteries and battery charger. Trying to find a deal out there if possible? If you just bought these, any reason why you didn't go with the Go version? I think those go both ways with AC or DC?

manfredz
Hero
Hero

Thats's what I'm using the Tenergy 3.7 V gold colored ones.  For here in Canada, the best prices I found were at Amazon.ca

lifebeginsafter
Aspirant
Aspirant

oh shoot, not good. Those were the batts i was looking at getting? Check this link out and let me know? I think this is what i was talking about earlier? https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Knowledge-Base/How-can-I-extend-my-Arlo-Wire-Free-Arlo-Pro-Wir...   I didn't read thru it but if this helps using those batts, i'd like to know b4 i buy. tks

manfredz
Hero
Hero

that article is outdated.

Netgear now certifies these rechargeable for the Arlo wireless

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/products/arlo/tenergy_rechargeable_battery_charger.aspx

Narlo
Tutor
Tutor

Would you happen to know where some one can buy what netgear recommends in Australia ? 

The link takes me to amazon.com and the supplier doesn't ship to Australia. 

manfredz
Hero
Hero

Others have posted too of difficulty (actualy impossibility) of finding thr Tenergy RCR123A or even any compatible battery in Australia. Am wondering if Australia makes it difficult to import these (and maybe lithion-ion batteries overall?). Europeans have posted similar issues but some have found other brands that supposedly work with the Arlo.

Narlo
Tutor
Tutor

Would you happen to know what brands the Australians found work for them (and is available for purchase) ? 

Also would be interested to know what the Europeans are using - may be I can find someone selling it on ebay 

manfredz
Hero
Hero

sorry don;t remember brands.

Just remember what Europeans found came either from Netherlands or Belgium, can't remember which.

From other posts found that some other brands worked fine with the Arlo, many others didn't.

And since Netgear has certified only the Tenergy 3.7V gold colored ones, others could void your warranty if they damage your camera through leakage, shorting etc.

The newer, more expensive, Arlo Pro doesn't have these issues since it comes with a rechargeable battery.

CCNE37
Apprentice
Apprentice

It has been nearly 12 months since I bought my stuff, but I bought a Nitecore D4 off eBay - shipped from Perth I think (I am in Brisbane), and 20x Nitecore rechargeables from Gearbest. Don't use FastTech because they were terrible - I waited 12 weeks or so and eventually got PayPal to refund - hopeless.

There was very few RCR123 size rechargeables available in Oz, and probably my next best option at the time was some Olights from Singapore - also off eBay - they were reasonably priced and got reasoanble reviews.

A quick check on eBay now reveals a few sellers offering Eagletacs which got decent reviews. The Nitecore prices are obscene - like $14 / battery - I paid around $6.50 per Nitecore I think.

Very few sellers will ship lithium batteries to Oz now.

Narlo
Tutor
Tutor

Thank you for replying. Gearbest no longer sells the RCR123 batteries. 

Checked ebay for Nitecore - about $12-$14 a pop.  Same is the case for olights.

Couldn't find any Eagletac batteries 

The cheapest I could find was this Olight 650mAH for $9.50 http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Olight-650MAH-RCR123-RECHARGEABLE-LITHIUM-ION-BATTERY-WITH-PAPER-CARD-/25... - local oz stock. You reckon this'd be a good one (from amongst the cheapest lot) to go with ?

The only drawback I see is the dimensions. olights dimensions :  (Diameter x Height): 17 × 34 mm

Tenergy's dimension : Product Size
16.9mm (diameter)
34.3mm (length)

I don't know how a .1mm of diameter would affect ?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
I've had batteries stick in their holder due to dia eter issues.
Narlo
Tutor
Tutor

>I've had batteries stick in their holder due to dia eter issues.

Sorry, how do you mean ? The batteries are supposed to stick in their respective places in the camera ? 

CCNE37
Apprentice
Apprentice

Plenty of Eagletac - I just searched for "rcr123a";

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-X-EagTac-16340-RCR123A-750mAh-1-5A-Rechargeable-NK071-AU-/391723382003?...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/10-X-EagTac-16340-RCR123A-750mAh-1-5A-Rechargeable-NK071-AU-/252803712059...

Olights

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2X-Olight-16340-RCR123A-3-7V-Rechargeable-Li-ion-550mAh-Battery-for-S10-M...

Both cheaper than the Nitecores.

Olights are 16mm diamter according to this seller - be worth checking though. He does say they are 40mm long Smiley Happy The sellers often get things like dimensions wrong, so worth checking on otehr websites or review sites. I seem to remember reading here that people had used Olights, and I know a lot of people had used Eagletacs. The Nitecores are a snug fit on diameter so I don't think I would go much bigger

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Olight-16340-RCR123A-Lithium-Torch-Battery-IMR-550-/262922008101?hash=ite...

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Narlo wrote:

>I've had batteries stick in their holder due to dia eter issues.

Sorry, how do you mean ? The batteries are supposed to stick in their respective places in the camera ? 

I mean that batteries have actually gotten stuck in their holes so I had to pry them out. That means the battery cover would likely not be making contact with the batteries, reducing battery life.  As a result, I recommend NOT pushing batteries down but to let the battery cover do the work so contact is made.  

Various batteries have had this issue which could be due to manufacturing tolerances, design specs, etc. Some folks have resorted to removing the plastic sheathing around the batteries to reduce their diameter.

NETthisGEAR
Apprentice
Apprentice

How many of you guys have tried the Tenergy 3.7V RCR123A Li-ion Battery Charger  with success? I haven't heard many complaints for how many are bought.

manfredz
Hero
Hero

I use the charger with two sets of batteries in two of my cameras.

Also accidentally ordered the sliver colored 3.0V Tenergys which is no good

MartinRead
Aspirant
Aspirant

A number of the batteries mentioned are only available in the US and Arlo has failed to reply to my questions on other optoins.

In Australia there are brands that are listed as CR123A and 3.7V   BUT... they are only 640mAh. Not 750.

Is this an issue or do they have to be 750mAh ?

Thanks all 🙂

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
There's little realistic difference between 640 and 750 mAH. I doubt you could tell the difference without some precise measurements and observations.
smithytom
Aspirant
Aspirant

StephenPAdams wrote:

Been using the Eastshine rechargeables for a few months now...and I've been wondering why these batteries haven't been lasting as long as claimed in this thread. I've only been getting 2-4 weeks of battery life, whereas with the non-rechargeables I was getting 4-5 months. I was expecting more of like 2-3 months on the rechargeables. I was always wondering why the batteries would always show half full when I placed the rechargeables in.

However, I recently tried swapping out the batteries only to find out that the Arlos wouldn't power on. After looking a bit more, it's because of the positive nibs on the batteries aren't long enough to touch the contacts on the Arlo device itself. I was originally going to use some aluminum foil to bridge the very little gap between the nib and the contact...however I decided to just Dremel down the little plastic guides near the positive contacts. After doing this the units now power on and the units are showing full charges.

Just wanted to post the above in case anybody runs into the Eastshine issue.

I've also just ordered a set of 12 of the Nitecores from Battery Junction since the 10% off code (NITECORE4U) was still working. I figure I'll have these around just in case I need to swap in batteries while the Eastshines are recharging.

Just wanted to say, I've been having issues since I first bought my cameras. Followed your suggestion and dremeled the nubs and now the cameras work perfectly. Thanks so much!

manfredz
Hero
Hero

dremeled the nubs ?

PicturePerfect
Aspirant
Aspirant

Howdy, Just wondering how you got on with those different batteries.

I tried another brand and also found them to be useless .

There are some on amazon but they wont freight out to Australia because

of it being lithium type.

Has anyone got any answers 

CCNE37
Apprentice
Apprentice

Probably the best option for Oz is somewhere like Gearbest that does ship to Oz (I wouldn't use FastTech again - pretty dodgy), or eBay. I have seen Olights and EagleTac - both were mentioned earlier in this thread fairly reasonably priced on eBay - out of Singapore I think. See my post about 6-8 posts above this for links.

I bought my NiteCores from Gearbest when they stocked them a year ago, and they shipped to Brisbane no problem.