Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Coltsbro84
Star
Star

I am looking for the best rechargeable CR123 batteries that I can find, for use with my Netgear Arlo four cam system. I bought the green stripe Tenergy that claim to have 750mah power. Six batteries with a charger run about $25. I'm not happy with these batteries, because when fully charged (only takes about an hour to charge with a 500mah charger, from what I understand, it exerts as much energy as it stores, so I'm thinking that these batteries are more like 200mah) but back to the story, when fully charged, these batteries only show the camera as being half charged, with a day's use putting it into the low battery icon, and only lasting about a week.

I have since then ordered four Nitecore batteries, rated at 3.7 volts and 650mah. Now the volts are 0.5 higher than what's to be used with the camera, I'm hoping that this does not affect the camera. 650mah is probably true from the reviews and the steep price tag they are asking of around $10 per battery. I'm hoping that they are quality batteries and worth it, and I purchased a Nitecore charger to go with it. I'll be able to test them out here in a few days and get back with everyone on performance.

I just want to know, has anyone tried the rechargeable batteries that I have mentioned? Or do you have other suggestions?

Tenergy (link here: http://www.amazon.com/Kits-RCR123A-LiFePO4-Rechargeable-Batteries/dp/B001EYHO9G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&a...

Nitecore (link here: : http://www.amazon.com/Nitecore-RCR123A-Protected-Rechargeable-Battery-Black/dp/B00D2OCQB2/ref=pd_sim...

Nitecore charger here http://www.amazon.com/Nitecore-IntelliCharger-i4-Battery-Charger/dp/B005UAI372/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&am...

845 REPLIES 845
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Unless it's bad batteries or installed incorrectly, that shouldn't be happening.  Check the batteries (installation and voltage) and power cycle the base.  Maybe it's just a fluke.

WWLightning
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'll try to cycle the base later today.  It was cycled the night before I swapped out the batteries.  If the batteries were in wrong, camera won't work.  Tried that from the get go.  Daughter put them in wrong, nothing would power up.  Batteries were fully charged according to the charger.  This is crazy.  I'm going away for two weeks and I don't know if the batteries will even last.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Actually, you can install some batteries wrong and have it work. They're in series-parallel, front and back. The camera will run with just two batteries but life will be short. The camera switches automatically between the two pairs to maximize overall life. Since you're seeing about 50% life, maybe one set is in wrong or not making contact.
WWLightning
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ok.  Thanks.  I just pulled one of the two down.  It was at 47% when I pulled it.  Checked batteries.  All are in correctly.  Now shows 44%.  I just don't get it.

WWLightning
Aspirant
Aspirant

....and to add.........  I just re-read what you wrote about not making contact.  I opened the cover and raised all the batteries up slightly, as they are tight in there, and closed the lid so that it adjusts the height of the batteries as it closes.  Now at 88%.   HMMMMMMMMM.    Thanks for the suggestion.

GrnMnky
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks got Nitecore RCR123A for $4.01 each @ battery junction.com w/ promo code NITECORE4U.

FortyCaliber
Tutor
Tutor

I just got an Arlo system for christmas (2016) and I bought 8 Nitecore RCRs I also got a D4 charger.

They fit... TIGHT... and then the camera didn't work.  If it helps, my model DOESN'T have the USB port that I've seen some have.  The space is there, but it's covered.

Perhaps earlier models allowed RCRs.  Mine didn't work and these batteries are charged.

Looks like my flashlight will have lots of new batteries.

I bought 48 1400mAh Tenergy for 0.93 a piece instead (.0006 cents per mAh.)  I can handle 45 dollars every 2 years.

These wireless ones are just a band aid until I get my wired ones a suitable power source.

WWLightning
Aspirant
Aspirant
The USB port is on the PRO models.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
There's a hidden micro-usb port on the original wireless cameras, too. I haven't looked too see if the H11 cameras still have it.
c0mm0
Guide
Guide

Just repoorting back in. I'm getting about 2 1/2 - 3 months out of my protected eagletacs which I'm good with. 5 or 6 recordings a day mostly at night, 25 seconds long. Some cams run even longer, recording 12-15 a day but only in daytime, so i think it depends on location/IR usage

You can get them here https://lightjunction.com/collections/netgear-arlo-compatible/products/arlo-security-camera-battery-... for $5.49 a piece and you can use code FIRSTTIME15 for 15% off

I use a nitecore d4 charger.

I am not affiliated or compensated, just passing on the info

StephenPAdams
Aspirant
Aspirant

Been using the Eastshine rechargeables for a few months now...and I've been wondering why these batteries haven't been lasting as long as claimed in this thread. I've only been getting 2-4 weeks of battery life, whereas with the non-rechargeables I was getting 4-5 months. I was expecting more of like 2-3 months on the rechargeables. I was always wondering why the batteries would always show half full when I placed the rechargeables in.

However, I recently tried swapping out the batteries only to find out that the Arlos wouldn't power on. After looking a bit more, it's because of the positive nibs on the batteries aren't long enough to touch the contacts on the Arlo device itself. I was originally going to use some aluminum foil to bridge the very little gap between the nib and the contact...however I decided to just Dremel down the little plastic guides near the positive contacts. After doing this the units now power on and the units are showing full charges.

Just wanted to post the above in case anybody runs into the Eastshine issue.

I've also just ordered a set of 12 of the Nitecores from Battery Junction since the 10% off code (NITECORE4U) was still working. I figure I'll have these around just in case I need to swap in batteries while the Eastshines are recharging.

manfredz
Hero
Hero

I've been using the Netgear recommended Tenergy 3.7 gold colored rechargeables.  Make good contacts and eat about 1-2% a day doing about 5 x 120sec recordings a day.

Accidentally ordered the Tenergy 3.0 silver colored rechargeables first.  They work, but last only about 24 hours

NR83
Aspirant
Aspirant

We look for found tenergy rechargeable batterie CR123 in France, but impossible to found it somebody have a way please,

regards,

manfredz
Hero
Hero

seems like the tenergy rechargeables are difficult to find outside of canada and the usa.

saw these and from specs seem correct, but can't really be sure if they will work.  the have the appropriate 3.7V and 650 Mah (ones the exaggerate the Mah are a sure sign of being a problem)

https://www.amazon.fr/Ppower-paquets-batterie-rechargeable-chargeur/dp/B0166MYUAG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8...

Mikerg
Initiate
Initiate
I have the EdisonBright CR123 650mah and the 700mah. Both are working great. I have them outside in the freezing cold to hot and they last pretty much as long as the single use ones. I actually set all the cameras to the best quality setting and haven't noticed any difference in battery drain. So glad I'm done buying batteries. Again, I highly recommend the EdisonBright RCR123A's "EBR70" or "EBR65". Also, they seem to last a little longer the more you drain and charge them. I brought them to a little under 50% the first time, then down to around 15-10% after. Working great for me!
manfredz
Hero
Hero

don't know where all they're avaiable, but on amazon.com they're $2.00 more than the tenergy gold coloured 3.7 v. 

Since the Tenergys are approved for the Arl but these aren't, what the advantage to using these?

Mikerg
Initiate
Initiate
I was looking at the Tenergy but the reviews are better with the EdisonBright's. Also, they have a packaged deal where you get EdisonBright CR123 and a Nitecore D4 Charger. Awesome setup!
Jono_W
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi All,

I'm new to the ARLO world (having recently bought a base station and 4 cameras) and have read most of this thread which has been very useful. However, there are a couple of questions I hope someone can help me with. I bought a Nitecore D4 charger (from Amazon) and 16 Nitecore RCR123A batteries (from the official UK web site) as this seemed to be the best combination for those in the UK.

1. Yesterday, when I fully charged the batteries and then put them into the camera, they showed (approx) 50% charged in the app. They seemed to work OK at first, but later that day the camera went beserk and sent me 'false positives' of motion every couple of minutes. I had to turn the camera off as the notifications were driving me nuts. Has anyone else experienced this the first time they used rechargables?

2. Today, I tried charging the same batteries for a 2nd time. When I put them into the camera it showed as (approx) 100% charged. Since then, the motion sensing seems to be working fine. What I'm confused about is (a) do new batteries need to be charged more than once to get to full capacity? and (b) I charged them using the 'LOW' setting on the charger as per the charger manual. Is this what everyone else does?

So far I have only tried one set of batteries and one of my cameras, so I can't be sure if this would happen with my other batteries/cameras.

Any opinions would be gratefully received! 

Many thanks,

Jono. 

P.S. Incidentally, I have had no problems with fitting the NITECORE batteries into the camera casing (as other users have experienced).

SDIF
Aspirant
Aspirant
Joni, besides the battery brand and amp-hour you need to use a rpowerful charger. I found when I purchased the most powerful Nitecore charger I finally was able to get 15 days off a charge in a heavy traffic area. Stil Not great but workable. Reducing motion sensitivity helps too. It takes some time to get the adjustments correct. Good luck
Jono_W
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the info SDIF - much appreciated.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
In addition, for the original wireless cameras (non-Pro), the batteries are in series-parallel. Two batteries at a time are used, front and back. If one set has been pushed down and isn't making contact, you'll only see 50%. In the future, only insert the batteries, don't push them down. Let the battery cover do the work.
WWLightning
Aspirant
Aspirant

20170311_181754.jpg20170311_181955.jpg20170311_185517.jpg

WWLightning
Aspirant
Aspirant

Above, I have two cameras, non-pro.  The top one with silver contacts on the lid is my original.  The second is a replacement camera for the one above it.  Notice that the contacts in the lid are different.  The gold is the new one.  I had a problem with the design of the new lid and my Nitecore batteries.  The positive side of the battery would not make contact, or very slightly make contact.  I went ahead and peeled the top of the two batteries, as shown, so they would be better contact.  

Just a heads up.

Jono_W
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks to both Jguerdat and WwLightning. Next time I insert my Nitecore batteries I'll try and take note about the contacts as that might explain the problems I had initially. 

manfredz
Hero
Hero

think that's one of the reasons the Tenergy rechargeable (gold colored 3.7V ) are the better choice for most .  Haven't heard of any such issues with them.

But understand the Nitecore's are available in some countries the Tenergys aren't available but the Nitecore;s are.