Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Coltsbro84
Star
Star

I am looking for the best rechargeable CR123 batteries that I can find, for use with my Netgear Arlo four cam system. I bought the green stripe Tenergy that claim to have 750mah power. Six batteries with a charger run about $25. I'm not happy with these batteries, because when fully charged (only takes about an hour to charge with a 500mah charger, from what I understand, it exerts as much energy as it stores, so I'm thinking that these batteries are more like 200mah) but back to the story, when fully charged, these batteries only show the camera as being half charged, with a day's use putting it into the low battery icon, and only lasting about a week.

I have since then ordered four Nitecore batteries, rated at 3.7 volts and 650mah. Now the volts are 0.5 higher than what's to be used with the camera, I'm hoping that this does not affect the camera. 650mah is probably true from the reviews and the steep price tag they are asking of around $10 per battery. I'm hoping that they are quality batteries and worth it, and I purchased a Nitecore charger to go with it. I'll be able to test them out here in a few days and get back with everyone on performance.

I just want to know, has anyone tried the rechargeable batteries that I have mentioned? Or do you have other suggestions?

Tenergy (link here: http://www.amazon.com/Kits-RCR123A-LiFePO4-Rechargeable-Batteries/dp/B001EYHO9G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&a...

Nitecore (link here: : http://www.amazon.com/Nitecore-RCR123A-Protected-Rechargeable-Battery-Black/dp/B00D2OCQB2/ref=pd_sim...

Nitecore charger here http://www.amazon.com/Nitecore-IntelliCharger-i4-Battery-Charger/dp/B005UAI372/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&am...

845 REPLIES 845
lifebeginsafter
Aspirant
Aspirant

to confirm, these batteries are being checked with them being on 24hrs a day with recommended settings for the batteries? tks

c0mm0
Guide
Guide
With Arlo Pro rechargeable released today, maybe that is why they might have changed the dimensions so rechargeable batteries won't fit......
Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

Tom:

I use a Nitecore D4 charger and I don't have a separate volt meter, do you think the v displayed on the charger is accurate enough?

Don't really want to have to buy a different charger/tester if I can help it.........

Thanks,

Paul

CCNE37
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have had my first full cycle on my Nitecores (I changed them early the first time because I was going away for a few weeks).

Strangely, the heaviest use (still fairly light) camera at the front door also lasted the longest.

Front door - dropped from 93% (when batteries installed) to 17% over 111 days and about 260 minutes. Under roof but outside house.

Patio - dropped from 96% to 16% over 109 days and about 57 minutes. Under roof but outside house.

Outside - dropped from 96% to 12% over 109 days and about 20 minutes. This was the only camera completely outside (exposed to sun etc).

Inside - dropped from 98% to 12% over 95 days and about 60 minutes. Strangely, this camera dropped from 25% to 12% in 1 day. The only camera inside the house.

So, generally around 3½ months on a charge, which I think is pretty good, although the usage has been fairly low recently.

lifebeginsafter
Aspirant
Aspirant

would be out of line to ask where you got batteries/charger and how much? I have 5 cameras so.....tks

CCNE37
Apprentice
Apprentice

If it is me you are asking, I bought the Nitecore D4 from an eBay seller in Australia for about AU$45 from memory (I waited 10 weeks for my delivery from Fastech and gave up and re-ordered locally). and the Nitecore batteries from Gearbest when they had them for about US$4.50 each.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Paul

yes as long as it reads the voltage when first placed in the d4.   It takes a day for the battery to settle down from the 4.2v off charge.    Most of mine read in the 4. 15 to 4. 19 v range

use what you have, really don't loose sleep ... I got use to changing out at 40 days just for safety factor...

fiq yor max avg life and then change 7 days early.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

Thanks Tom.

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi guys,

Last friday, I've bought myself a 4 cam-kit Arlo plus 16 of these highly recommended Nitecore NL166 RCR123A (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LM4FRPQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1). After opening them and fitting them very tight into one of the cameras, I closed the lid and noticed that it wouldn't turn on. I thought "hey, maybe I need to charge them first", so I went on and tried to take the batteries to do that...

That's where the madness begins. The 4 batteries were so tight pushing agains each other, that it was impossible to remove them. I've tried pulling with a pen, a cutter, a knife; they wouldn't move. The whole skin of the batteries got damaged in the process pretty much everywhere and after that hour, one of the batteries started to move until I finally could remove it, pretty much destroyed. Then the rest came out easier than that.

How come I've never seen this mentioned after all the research I've done? I've looked through every rechargeable batteries for Arlo in Amazon and its questions/reviews; some would say that they were a "snug fit", but that they would come out OK. In my case, it was IMPOSSIBLE to remove them; I've even cutted my finger in the process.

Has anybody experienced the same? I have to return the batteries in frustration and resort to have to buy regular ones. I'm not from the US, so I came back to my country and when I get back, I wouldn't know if one battery would fit OK, since my cameras will be at home. That, added to the Arlo Plus press release on monday after a couple of days of buying my kit... let's say I'm really pissed off at the whole thing.

So, if any of you had this experience with the batteries, please let me know. do you also know if there are other good but "smaller" batteries than those Nitecores that I could even phantom to buy again some day? I don't even know if I should be selling my system locally and when I get back to the US (March) buy me the new Arlo Plus kit... oh... f*cking planned obsolesence, I had all the red flags before (with the batteries, Best Buy messing with my order for two days, getting to buy them twice and return one kit, etc.) and I KNEW and shouldn't have bought this obsolete Arlo.

Thanks in advance folks.

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi again guys,

Following my last post, I'm still thinking if I'll keep or not the cameras. In any case, I've been searching for rechargeable batteries and their specific sizes, after my frustrated experience with the Nitecores getting stuck and having to break them to pull them out.

Anyway, how can this be possible? Take a look a these two images I've prepared: the Nitecore specs says that the batteries are smaller in diameter than the Panasonic OEM ones that came with the cameras, even when I had to break the Nitecores out because they were stuck, too big and the Panasonic ones easily slip in and out of the camera without any friction! Can you explain this inconsistency?

Thanks.

Nitecore

Panasonic

Liem
Guide
Guide

Update: I've had EdisonBright rechargeable batteries on ONE camera and it seems okay. It's been a month and I'm down to 70%, this camera is being used more often since it's monitoring my the back of the house.

My next step is to buy the OPUS C-3100 charger so I can figure out the true mAh. The battery is rated at 650 mAh.

livewire713
Apprentice
Apprentice

Here are the rechargeable batteries I use. I've been using them for over a year without problems. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QWAC0AK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And here is the battery charger I use.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005UAI372/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have 5 cameras all using these batteries and 4 extra batteries that I keep charged for when I need to do a battery change. I change mine when they get down to about 60% and it takes just a few hrs to recharge the batteries with the charger listed above. Batteries fit fine in the camera's and that charger can charge many types of batteries. I have 24 of these batteries and haven't had a problem with any of them and they're still going strong after a year of use.

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Wow, great news! Knowing Netgear, they will probably cost 20 USD each 😞

Hopefully they'll announce them soon.

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Thanks livewire.

The problem is that they are saying the batteries are 1200 mAh, which would be a plain lie. Have you tested with a capable charger how many mAh do they get?

Still, based on my pictures from the post before, I can't understand how the Nitecore (smaller diameter) don't fit vs. the OEM ones. Can anybody explain?

Thanks.

lifebeginsafter
Aspirant
Aspirant

at 60% when you recharge, how many days between charges?

MichaelRogers
Apprentice
Apprentice

For anyone who still cares, the following is an update on my 4 ultra-low use (<30 seconds per day) cameras using Eastshine batteries.

All four cameras were put in place on July 16 with newly charged Eastshines:

Camera #1) Died after 99 days (on 10/23).  After drained, I tested these 4 batteries on recharge and 1 of them came out a dud at ~550 mAh while the others were ~700 mAh plus or minus.

Camera #2) Survived 101 days so far with 24% left.  On pace for 133 days or ~4.4 months.

Camera #3) Survived 101 days so far with 26% left.  On pace for 136 days or ~4.5 months.

Camera #4) Survived 101 days so far with 19% left.  On pace for 125 days or ~4.1 months.  (This one gets slightly more use than the other 4.)

I plan to swap out my 7 higher use cameras with the new Arlo Pro where I can swap ~45 days (~ spec use) between charing cycles with 4-6 months between recharging cycles (if Arlo Pro estimates are to be believed).  These spots are also where two-way sound can be useful.

However, 4-5 months of (ultra low) use between rechargings (on RCR123s) is enough for me to keep the original Arlos for my 6 (ultra) low use cameras.  I might be able to squeeze 9-12 months out of these on the OEMs.

SDIF
Aspirant
Aspirant

The Tenergy batteries doe not show a full charge when they are installed in the Arlo cameras.

The Nitecore's appear to have a sleve which makes them hard to fit into the Arlo cameras.

I too am looking for a rechargeable battery that works.

Love the cameras but need a recharable soltuion.

Help anyone!

silversaver
Aspirant
Aspirant

What speed do you guys charge the Eagletec? D4 recommend using slow mode.

TKNT81
Apprentice
Apprentice

Rechargeable batteries for Arlo Wire Free Camera’s

Nitecore NL166 RCR123  650mAh

To: Timmy1024

I just received an extra Arlo Wire Free camera, I already owned two camera’s.

In the older two I use Nitecore rechargeable batteries, they do fit, however a bit firm.

After reading Timmy1024’s post I bought an extra camera, and yes Arlo changed the battery compartment of the newer Arlo Wire Free camera’s sold now.

But what I also found out is that Nitecore batteries still fit in my new camera.

The only thing you have to look after is the following;

Nitecore batteries have a metallic film around them. This film overlaps on one place, making this spot the thickest part of the battery. Make sure the sides with the overlap all point inwards (see the red arrow in the picture).

Now the Nitecore batteries do work and are tightly fit in my newer Arlo Wire Free Camera. They are also easily removable.

Battery.jpg 

For your information:

NITECORE NL166 RCR123 batteries  when fully charged show 97%/98% when inserted in Arlo Wire Free camera’s. With very minimal use the battery drain is just 1% per day.

TKNT81
Apprentice
Apprentice

Question about rechargeable batteries;

At what battery percentage will the Arlo wire free camera stop working when I use Nitecore 3.7v batteries.

It seems that the remaining battery percentage is more precise when using rechargeable batteries, dropping approximately 1% a day.

When I used non-rechargeable batteries my battery percentage wasn't reliable; it jumped from 100% to 95%  and remained at 25% for some time. When I got the low battery alert the battery percentage suddenly dropped to 4% and wasn't recording anymore.

CCNE37
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have only had my Nitecores down to 12%, so I don't know how low they will go.

Generally you don't want to discharge lithium batteries right down to nothing. They prefer to be charged more frequently. Tests have shown that cell phone and laptop batteries will last longer (more cycles) when charged frequently at around 50%. Discharging to very low numbers like 4% can permanently damage the batteries. I plan to charge them when they reach around 20% left as a compromise between charging too often (which is a bit painful) and affecting the battery's life.

I have also found that the % left can be quite erratic. I have had a set of Nitecores drop from 63% to 35% (about only 15 minutes of usage total) over 19 days and then sit at 35% for the next 5 days (with another 5 minutes of usage in that time) - so 15 minutes = 28% and then another 5 minutes = 0% ??

Retired_Member
Not applicable

To: TKNT81

Thanks TKNT81 for your detailed explanation. Sadly, I don't have the batteries anymore, since I returned them to Amazon after leaving US (and I won't be able to buy them back from here until I get back).

Could you post a picture of the exact point where you say the batteries overlap? Is there a precise protusion in exactly one point only? Should the whole battery overlap with one another?

Thanks again.

JAG4
Aspirant
Aspirant

How long the charge on NITECORE RCR123 NL166 rechargeable last?

CCNE37
Apprentice
Apprentice

Welcome to the forum.

At the risk of sounding rude, have you actually read anything in this thread before bursting into print ? If you had, you would know that it depends on how much the camera is used, and you would have found a lot of actual data.

Happy reading.