Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Coltsbro84
Star
Star

I am looking for the best rechargeable CR123 batteries that I can find, for use with my Netgear Arlo four cam system. I bought the green stripe Tenergy that claim to have 750mah power. Six batteries with a charger run about $25. I'm not happy with these batteries, because when fully charged (only takes about an hour to charge with a 500mah charger, from what I understand, it exerts as much energy as it stores, so I'm thinking that these batteries are more like 200mah) but back to the story, when fully charged, these batteries only show the camera as being half charged, with a day's use putting it into the low battery icon, and only lasting about a week.

I have since then ordered four Nitecore batteries, rated at 3.7 volts and 650mah. Now the volts are 0.5 higher than what's to be used with the camera, I'm hoping that this does not affect the camera. 650mah is probably true from the reviews and the steep price tag they are asking of around $10 per battery. I'm hoping that they are quality batteries and worth it, and I purchased a Nitecore charger to go with it. I'll be able to test them out here in a few days and get back with everyone on performance.

I just want to know, has anyone tried the rechargeable batteries that I have mentioned? Or do you have other suggestions?

Tenergy (link here: http://www.amazon.com/Kits-RCR123A-LiFePO4-Rechargeable-Batteries/dp/B001EYHO9G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&a...

Nitecore (link here: : http://www.amazon.com/Nitecore-RCR123A-Protected-Rechargeable-Battery-Black/dp/B00D2OCQB2/ref=pd_sim...

Nitecore charger here http://www.amazon.com/Nitecore-IntelliCharger-i4-Battery-Charger/dp/B005UAI372/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&am...

845 REPLIES 845
CCNE37
Apprentice
Apprentice

OK, they are listed as 16.8mm diameter compared with 16.6mm for the Nitecore, and the Nitecore are not a loose fit.

MichaelRogers
Apprentice
Apprentice
My Nitecores are a much snugger fit than my Eastshines. The RCR123s are generally just bigger than than the CR123s, so they're all varying degrees of snug vs. the non-rechargeables.
MichaelRogers
Apprentice
Apprentice
The EagleTacs seem to slide in and out easier than the Nitecores.

I've had to use pliers a few times to get Nitecores out. Have not had that issue with Eastshines or EagleTacs.
alganon
Apprentice
Apprentice

I just got 4 new cameras to replace the red screen one . I put the olight batteries that I had been using in the previous 4 in the new ones and the cameras wouldn't turn on . I put in the oem batteries and they tured on . I switched them in and out SEVERAL times and got two of the cameras working on the olights but the other two refuse to work with anything but the oem batteries . 

Ideas ?

Thanks ,

Alg

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

jguerdat wrote:

Open a case for a possible RMA.

Wouldn't you know........recent software update (base unit & cameras) and magic trick, all battery discharge and meter readings are now fixed!!! All my cameras now show a much higher level and quick discharge no longer a problem.

Wonder if anyone else noticed the much improved battery sensor with recent software update.

Thanks,

Paul

alankraw
Initiate
Initiate

I have the same concerns. I have 4 wireless cameras on my system and already 2 of them have low batteries in about a month. I guess I am just curious as to why the cameras were designed with unusual batteries as opposed to AA or AAA. I use the same type of batteries for my security devices throughout my house but I would like to use rechargeable as well. I dont mind making the investment in rechargeable but I want to make sure the cameras perform as expected.

I have been debating about returning mine as well. I did purchase mine at Best Buy and I purchased 2 additional cameras that I have not put up yet. I have come to find out that I will ahve to pay for anupgraded package to add those 2 cameras. Still debating.

I do thank you for all of the research you have doen along with otheres. You have gone into great depths into your reasearch. I am curious if NetGear might just in and design a recargerable battery pack that would fulfill the requirements.  

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

I guess I am just curious as to why the cameras were designed with unusual batteries as opposed to AA or AAA. 

Because, those cells don't have the voltage and current capacity ( power ) to run the cameras... to get close you have to stuff 8 AA's in there

Not to mention the available higher current draw the OEMs can put out

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

brian82 wrote:

i bought these rechargeables from amazon, because they have built in protection circuitry.

16340 Battery, EASTSHINE E07 700mAh RCR123A 3.7V Li-ion Rechargeable CR123A 4Packs

BUT, they were REALLY TIGHT to fit into the camera.  Worse, i snaked small wires in there to attach a solar cell.  I got it working, but it was pretty dicey because of that tight fit.  I don't recommend them because of the fit.  But i do like that they have protection circuitry so i won't overcharge them with the solar cell.

The over charge protection the cells have IS NOT what is needed to prevent damage the way you've direct connected.

You at the very least prob need a small regulator ala a LM317 chip.   I would also question if you have tested the no load voltage output of the solar cell as

many 12v solar cells easily put out 20v+ ...Even a 6v solar can hit 12v+

Liem
Guide
Guide

Hi BrianDX,

I plan to buy 16 Edisonbright with a D4 charger through Ebay. How is your experience with these batteries so far? How often do you have to recharge them and if they fit correctly with the Arlo?

Also, if Vallorie is here, could you give some feedbacks about Edisonbright?

Thanks,

trader
Tutor
Tutor

Can you upload this chargt to a public googlesheets or something?  I can't seem to read it as the print is waaaaay too small.

Thanks.

brian82
Tutor
Tutor

You can right click on the too-small-image and click on "Open image in new tab", and then it will greatly enlarge it in a new tab.

At least, this works for me in Chrome browser...

brian82
Tutor
Tutor

Yeah, i think the rechargeable batteries are tiny bit too short.  the metal contacts on each end are not making contact with the camera connectors.  

I bent the small circle tabs up a small amount, and i added a small wad of tinfoil to the larger circle contact, and that "fixed" it for the rechargeables that I have.

It might be easier and safer to just use the non-rechargeables...  Fairly cheap on amazon.

brian82
Tutor
Tutor

thanks for letting us know about the new firmware updates, i will give it a try!

alganon
Apprentice
Apprentice

Is this in reply to my question ?

The Olights measure the same as the energizers that came with the cameras .

Thanks ,

Alg

Liem
Guide
Guide

MichaelRogers,

In your mind, what is the best rechargeable RCR123A for Arlo? Is there a way you can test and include EdisonBright RCR123A with the results? These are widely available on Amazon and Ebay. I think they are rated at 650 mAh.

Thanks, 

lifebeginsafter
Aspirant
Aspirant

I bought these batteries (GTF/2500mAh/TR 16340/ 3.7V) for 5 cameras and within 5day 17hrs, all need to be recharged. I am working on a 2nd charge and see how long they last. I've been looking for suggested settings and not finding, may be overlooking? I also don't want to spend a lot of money on batteries. Within my research, i see where Arlo suggests NOT to use chargable batteries. Couple things come to mind and looking for suggestions from those that have gone done this road and what needs to be done? 1) is there recommended settings for batteries to last longer, 2) should rechargable batteries be used, 3) does Arlo make these cameras that also record voice? tks for all suggestions. I hope i am not running a post back in the ground. I did come across one post that was 64 pages long, got to about 13 pages but seem a lot of small talk. Dind't have patience to go thru all 64 pages and the post dates was somewhat a concern? tks agn

Pet1700
Apprentice
Apprentice
You bought typical garbage batteries. The only ones that have been thoroughly tested are onlight, eagletec, and nitecore. Stick with them and you will get 30 days or more with default camera servings.

I personally use eagletec, highest video settings, and 30 sec recording time per event... With 7 to 10 min or recording per day, I get about 20 to 25 days of life before recharging. The 2 highest rated charges are nitecore i4 and d4.
lifebeginsafter
Aspirant
Aspirant

yep, thats me. Purchase something i think will rock and turns out not? I am going to do a 2nd run and have already emailed the seller to see what they think but wish i'd had some insight on this more before buying? Maybe if i'd researched futher? With your purchase, what all did you end up getting? Did charger come with batteries? I have my cameras running 24hr a day, will that make a difference with longevitie of battery? I'm guessing that is what everyone is doing? tks agn for comment

MichaelRogers
Apprentice
Apprentice
Liem,

I know nothing about the Edison Bright.

Right now, I think Eastshines are superior to Nitecore and EagleTac, but it's not a major difference. Eagletacs and Nitecores have been more widely vetted though. All three have protection circuits.

I also like that the Eastshines are $25 for 4 on Amazon with next day (Prime) shipping. Nitecore and Eastshines (and SolarForce) were more of a hassle for me to find and to order.
ctrack
Luminary
Luminary
Pet1700 has it right. Nitecores seem to be the choice. As are the nitecore chargers d4 or i4. I use olights and they last several months. Even the camera I use outside will last 2-3 months on olights. All the batts mentioned by Pet1700 have been thoroughly tested by users here and are the choice batteries.
Liem
Guide
Guide

Thanks MichaelRogers.

I already bought 16 EdisonBright 650mAh with a D4 Chrager, I also bought 4 Fenix 700 mAh, but I don't know how to figure the true mAh of those. I will test them out and put the results here.

btw: I've got 16 EdisionBright plus a D4 Charger for $85, which seems to be good deal compare to Amazon $119.99.

lifebeginsafter
Aspirant
Aspirant

it took almost 2 hrs for this set of 4 batteries to charge. When i bought these batteries, it was stated per their listing:

Battery POWER !!!

If you know anything about Rechargeable Batteries, OUR Batteries you see in our picture are not cheap Rechargeable batteries that you find in the local stores or from other sellers. Our Rechargeable Batteries has a FULL POWER 2500mah Spec Range charge. The Higher the Number means how much more power the battery can store. the Higher the Number the longer the battery last before you have to charge again.

OUR BATTERIES holds a FULL power 2500mah Capacity Per Battery so Our Batteries holds MORE POWER then other Sellers Batteries. We HAVE TESTED Many Other Batteries and Our Batteries LAST LONGER.

Our batteries are properly spec to be in the: 2500 MAH range in capacity AND in the proper operating voltage for the Arlo Cameras.
Other Sellers Batteries might look the same but our Batteries have been fully tested from manufacturer and come straight from the manufacturer.

Maybe can't believe most you read?

MichaelRogers
Apprentice
Apprentice
As many have stated, a 2500 mAh is impossible for an RCR123 battery. Anything over 750 is very likely BS. I tested some cheap (stated mAh of 2,500) PPower batteries that were closer to 250-300 mAh.

As a general rule thumb, the higher the stated mAh over ~700, the lower you should expect the actual mAh to be.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

lifebeginsafter wrote:

it took almost 2 hrs for this set of 4 batteries to charge. When i bought these batteries, it was stated per their listing:

Battery POWER !!!

If you know anything about Rechargeable Batteries, OUR Batteries you see in our picture are not cheap Rechargeable batteries that you find in the local stores or from other sellers. Our Rechargeable Batteries has a FULL POWER 2500mah Spec Range charge. The Higher the Number means how much more power the battery can store. the Higher the Number the longer the battery last before you have to charge again.
 snipped
Maybe can't believe most you read?

Esp on the internet !

First, go back and read the battery thread FROM THE NEWEST BACK about 10 or so pages!

(Tho i do recommend readin all as a way to know how / why users ended up with 3-4 choice cells... knowledge is power.)

You will find info on the 3-4 well vetted rechargeables and chargers if you  want to go that route.

Not only that, You will find out the NO 123/16340 sized cell ( li-ion ) can hold more than about 750 mahr of chemistry.... Any li-ion that says over 800 is automatically suspect right off the bat.

Also you should be using the 3.7v Li-ion cells not the 3 or 3.6v cells which have lower rates AND some have been found not to work well.

LiFe04 type cells have given problems also when used in Arlo.

Don't FORGET, make sure the cells have overcharge/over discharge curcuit built into them

PM_Ontario-CA
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am not sure what to say, weather Netgear / Arlo team should understand that the product running & maintanence cost should be low, or I should have investigated this before buying Netgear / Arlo product.

Those batteries (123A) are soo expensive & these kind of products running on it should atleast provide a simple solution by either providing a adapter, to make it wired connection, else make a modular/flexible design, such that alternate power source / battery type could be used.

Hope the link below helps in finding the right rechargable batteries for the cameras, else I will throw away Netgear / Arlo cameras & find some other wireless security cameras.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?366975-CR123A-and-rechargeable-substitutes

Looking forward for a solution soon