Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Coltsbro84
Star
Star

I am looking for the best rechargeable CR123 batteries that I can find, for use with my Netgear Arlo four cam system. I bought the green stripe Tenergy that claim to have 750mah power. Six batteries with a charger run about $25. I'm not happy with these batteries, because when fully charged (only takes about an hour to charge with a 500mah charger, from what I understand, it exerts as much energy as it stores, so I'm thinking that these batteries are more like 200mah) but back to the story, when fully charged, these batteries only show the camera as being half charged, with a day's use putting it into the low battery icon, and only lasting about a week.

I have since then ordered four Nitecore batteries, rated at 3.7 volts and 650mah. Now the volts are 0.5 higher than what's to be used with the camera, I'm hoping that this does not affect the camera. 650mah is probably true from the reviews and the steep price tag they are asking of around $10 per battery. I'm hoping that they are quality batteries and worth it, and I purchased a Nitecore charger to go with it. I'll be able to test them out here in a few days and get back with everyone on performance.

I just want to know, has anyone tried the rechargeable batteries that I have mentioned? Or do you have other suggestions?

Tenergy (link here: http://www.amazon.com/Kits-RCR123A-LiFePO4-Rechargeable-Batteries/dp/B001EYHO9G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&a...

Nitecore (link here: : http://www.amazon.com/Nitecore-RCR123A-Protected-Rechargeable-Battery-Black/dp/B00D2OCQB2/ref=pd_sim...

Nitecore charger here http://www.amazon.com/Nitecore-IntelliCharger-i4-Battery-Charger/dp/B005UAI372/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&am...

845 REPLIES 845
MichaelRogers
Apprentice
Apprentice
Engin33r,

I ran out of gas on my formal monitoring, but my data, testing and observation since would have me buying Eastshines for all uses and especially low use cameras. Eagletacs are fine though on higher use cameras (as are Nitecores).

I know mAh isn't the only relevant factor, but testing dozens of batteries of each type, mAh ratings are:

1) Eastshine (consistently ~700)
2) Eagletac (more variability but between ~660-710)
3) Nitecore (consistently ~650)

Eastshine (700) and Nitrcore (650) stated mAhs match reality. Eagletac's stated mAh (750) is overstated, but still higher than Nitecore. Nitecores are also by far the tightest fit of the 3 in the cameras, which makes changing batteries a bit of a pain.

FYI - Eagletacs are ~$25 for 4 on Amazon (Prime).

I'm pretty much the only one who has vetted Eastshines here, and others have heavily vetted Eagletacs and Nitrecores, so you may want to keep that in mind. I see no risk with Eastshines, but I haven't driven them all the way to discharge (in the cameras) yet either.
MichaelRogers
Apprentice
Apprentice
Also, Stay away from PPower (stated 2,000 mAh). They sell for ~$12 per 4 on Amazon, but their mAH is really between 250 and 300. They die very fast in Arlos.

I also have not had the success others have had with SolarForce, but those seem really hard to find anyway and aren't any cheaper than the other quality brands if bought from a reputable source.

I haven't vetted Olights.
Pet1700
Apprentice
Apprentice
I bought 16 eagletec and I4 charger for $71 shipped from light junction a couple months ago during their memorial day sale. Each battery cost less than $4.

I have had great luck with them so far. All my cameras are relatively high use, as each event records 30 seconds at highest quality. So I average about 10 to 20 minutes a day on each camera. I get about 20 to 30 days before charging.
MichaelRogers
Apprentice
Apprentice

I don't think there's much of a difference in the quality brands (Nitecore, Eagletac and Eastshine) for the high use cameras. Maybe a day or two, but that doesn't move the needle much. The big differentiation comes IMO with the spec and below spec camera use. I'm on pace to get to 3+ months with my Eastshines there (on miliple cameras so it doesn't appear to be a fluke), and that's perhaps a whole month longer than what to expect from Eagletac or Nitecore.

My Eagletacs and Nitecores tend to drain 2-3% per day (33-50 days) on low use cameras.  The Eastshines are 1% drain per day like clockwork (on pace for 100 days).

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Good info MR.... 3 months is very good.

Yes there is a BIG diff with spec use vs heavy use when dealing with rechargeable....

The Nitecores for me in spec use run about 60 days and then I change them out regardless ( I really change on a schedule ) matter of fact I add the date of change to the cam name so I don't forget. Can you get a few more days, yes , but I like to know there's a little safety factor in remaining charge.

It is nice to see others test more cells tho... Once i went thru a few sets and found "good" ones I stopped ( spent enough money 🙂 )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

After wasting $ 200+ on replacing batteries, I purchased 16 Eagletac rechargeable ones.

Strangely I have not been able yet to charge any of those batteries to a full 100%. Using the Nitecore D4 charger, shows all units are fully charged but right after installing them Arlo shows them all around 95-97%.

Also wondering about the Eagletac name......on the battery side it says "EAGTAC". Are they the same thing or Light Junction sold me some phonies?

Just wondering.....thanks for any input.

Regards,

Paul

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

I know that there were TWO spellings of the name ...but not sure if that was it

Have you called Batteryjunction re the NOT full charge problem?  They should come off charge at 4.2v ( assuming your using 3.7v li-ion )

EDIT:

Yes, the EagTAC company owns Eagletac name ; http://www.bestflashlightreport.com/2015/08/25/eagletac/

Pet1700
Apprentice
Apprentice
How do you add images to this thread? I will show you how my 16 batteries look like.
c0mm0
Guide
Guide
Upload to imgur and just post link
Pet1700
Apprentice
Apprentice
MichaelRogers
Apprentice
Apprentice
Paul,

Only getting to 95-97% charged has been common for me for Eagletac and some others. Eastshine usually get me to 100, but there is room for error when you talk about 3%. I use the i4, d4, Opus and Foxnova chargers. The Opus usually gets the volts up to 4.2 and the others 4.17-4.19. I wouldn't worry about it. Not terribly important at the end of the day.
Pet1700
Apprentice
Apprentice
I agree... My eagletec never read 100% in arlo. Anywhere from 95% to 99% when put in fresh.
RobertRosal
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

All the batteries that I have used so far have showed 99-100%

These are the batteries I use 

• NiteCore
  • EagleTac
  • Olight
  • SolarForce

Will be also cycling in the EastShines.  I imagine it'll show 99-100% as well, as it looks like Michael has found another rechargeable battery for use for our Arlo's.

All the batteries come off my D4 charger reading 4.17v when tested,  eventhough D4 reads 4.20.

-Robert
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Remember that right off charge the 3.7v li-ions will read 4.2 v on a voltmeter....

But also quickly settle down to 3,18-3.19 or so after off charge for a while... in the real world it doesn't mean a thing.

Funny tho that the Arlo meter doesn't read 100%

Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy

TomMac wrote:

But also quickly settle down to 3,18-3.19 or so after off charge for a while... in the real world it doesn't mean a thing.

Surely, you must mean 4.18 - 4.19V?

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes... Mistake in fat fingers... 

4.18 - 4.19 results after a short time off charge

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

Thanks to all who helped answer my questions. Your comments are very appreciated.

Paul

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Paul... in thinking about the 98-99% readings....

Is it possible the charger does get the cells to 100% but then the electronics know it's fully charged and drop the charging voltage.

This would result in the lower voltage point as if the battery was taken off charge while still in the unit. ( and the lower reading ).

Of course if so, you prob have to be there when the cells hit 100% to verify the readout getting to max.

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

TomMac wrote:

Paul... in thinking about the 98-99% readings....

Is it possible the charger does get the cells to 100% but then the electronics know it's fully charged and drop the charging voltage.

This would result in the lower voltage point as if the battery was taken off charge while still in the unit. ( and the lower reading ).

Of course if so, you prob have to be there when the cells hit 100% to verify the readout getting to max.

That may be.....Normally I don't leave them in the charger very long before placing them in the camera, but I'll try getting them out as soon as charging completes and see if it makes a difference.

Last installed set started with a 97% Arlo reading, after three days use (~ 3.5 min.) it's now @78%.

Pretty quick discharge.....normal or just a bad batch?

Thanks!

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Paul_FCCL wrote:

Last installed set started with a 97% Arlo reading, after three days use (~ 3.5 min.) it's now @78%.

That's in spec use... sounds like it should be a bit higher.  Of all my 3 types I prob avg about 50 days normal use, the Nitecores seem to work best for me.

Whats your days for spec use if you know? ( and is it across all the cameras or just one ? )

JFHughes08088
Aspirant
Aspirant

Huh?  How does  3.7 V battery come off a charger carrying 4.19 v?

TomMac wrote:

Remember that right off charge the 3.7v li-ions will read 4.2 v on a voltmeter....

Funny tho that the Arlo meter doesn't read 100%

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

JFHughes08088 wrote:

Huh?  How does  3.7 V battery come off a charger carrying 4.19

It is Li-ion and just does acually hit the fully charged mark at 4.2v and then it gets a litlle lower after standing.

AND to mess with your brain more 🙂 , the OEM primary cells labled at 3v are actually 3.2v when new and unused

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

TomMac wrote:

Paul_FCCL wrote:

That's in spec use... sounds like it should be a bit higher.  Of all my 3 types I prob avg about 50 days normal use, the Nitecores seem to work best for me.

Whats your days for spec use if you know? ( and is it across all the cameras or just one ? )

Around 1.5 minutes @ day

RobertRosal
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I'd say, if you are using the rechargeables that most here recommend, i'd say that is not normal.  Especially if your use is 1.5 minutes per day.

-Robert
Vallorie
Luminary
Luminary

I have two questions - I brought Edison Rechargeable batteries which I understand from manufacturer they fall in line with others I have seen posted - are most of you comfortable with using rechargeable batteries though Arlo says not too use rechargeable batteries.

Also bit off topic what is the recommended viewing playback time for viewing video and also how do I change the time setting.  I went to settings options but I don't see how/hwhere to change running time.

Vallorie