Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Coltsbro84
Star
Star

I am looking for the best rechargeable CR123 batteries that I can find, for use with my Netgear Arlo four cam system. I bought the green stripe Tenergy that claim to have 750mah power. Six batteries with a charger run about $25. I'm not happy with these batteries, because when fully charged (only takes about an hour to charge with a 500mah charger, from what I understand, it exerts as much energy as it stores, so I'm thinking that these batteries are more like 200mah) but back to the story, when fully charged, these batteries only show the camera as being half charged, with a day's use putting it into the low battery icon, and only lasting about a week.

I have since then ordered four Nitecore batteries, rated at 3.7 volts and 650mah. Now the volts are 0.5 higher than what's to be used with the camera, I'm hoping that this does not affect the camera. 650mah is probably true from the reviews and the steep price tag they are asking of around $10 per battery. I'm hoping that they are quality batteries and worth it, and I purchased a Nitecore charger to go with it. I'll be able to test them out here in a few days and get back with everyone on performance.

I just want to know, has anyone tried the rechargeable batteries that I have mentioned? Or do you have other suggestions?

Tenergy (link here: http://www.amazon.com/Kits-RCR123A-LiFePO4-Rechargeable-Batteries/dp/B001EYHO9G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&a...

Nitecore (link here: : http://www.amazon.com/Nitecore-RCR123A-Protected-Rechargeable-Battery-Black/dp/B00D2OCQB2/ref=pd_sim...

Nitecore charger here http://www.amazon.com/Nitecore-IntelliCharger-i4-Battery-Charger/dp/B005UAI372/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&am...

845 REPLIES 845
MichaelRogers
Apprentice
Apprentice
You should have bought them yesterday! The Brexit vote just made them 10% more expensive for you.

Eagletac and Nitecore are tops in terms of performance according to those on this thread who have tested them extensively. I bought Eagletac based on what I read here as I found a better deal than Nitecore. Olights seem to be a solid option in case they are available and the other 2 aren't in the UK.

SolarForce is under review, but I'm not 100% certain those are protected cells based on what I've read online, but others here know the answer to that.
MichaelRogers
Apprentice
Apprentice
By the way, I mentioned this in a different thread, but a grip and grab (like linked below) is what put me over the top to replace OEMs with rechargeables.

With the grip and grab (and cameras on the magnetic ball mount), I was just able (yesterday) to pull off, change batteries and re-mount 8 high up Arlo Cameras (out of my 13) that are hard to reach all in ~15 minutes (including re-aiming).

Not mentioned explicitly on this thread that I recall, but OEMs are also a pain for a different reason because, despite their longer life, you need to let each one run almost all the way down before replacing them (to avoid being wasteful) rather than simply changing all out on your own schedule. If you have 15 free minutes with rechargeables, you can swap out all your rechargeables (assuming you keep a surplus) even if some are still on ~2-3 bars while others are about to die. With the OEMs, you pretty much have to put each camera (if they're getting different use) on its own one off ad hoc replacement schedule that is not on your time or schedule. I'd rather get on a monthly or bi-monthly schedule than ad hoc replace batteries in 13 cameras on the dying batterys' schedules.

Ettore 49150 Grip 'n Grab Reach Tool, 50-Inch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005KUBWZ2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_GWuBxbF9251H4
RobertRosal
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

MichaelRogers wrote:

SolarForce is under review, but I'm not 100% certain those are protected cells based on what I've read online, but others here know the answer to that.

Straight from SolarForce and the link where I purchased mine, where the protection circuit is visible and stated on the site.

http://www.solarforceflashlight-sales.com/product_detail.php?t=BC&s=23&id=364&sname=cr123a&xpage=2&s...

-Robert
YYCchopper
Aspirant
Aspirant

Batteries are charged, installed on June 23rd. Will be tracking usage and how often will be charging them. So far all is well (Olight 16340/ RCR123A)

MichaelRogers
Apprentice
Apprentice
I installed Eagletacs in 12 cameras ranging from high, approximately spec, and low use on 6-23. I have 12 Eastshines (up to 3 cameras) and 12 Solarforces (up to 3 cameras) based on Robert's promising low use results on the way, that I'll run on identical use cameras (simultaneous record mode) to get an apples-to-apples comparison. I'll probably recharge the Eagletacs competing camera back to 100, so all batteries will start at 100% for a fair horse race. My 13th camera is a pain to change, so I just left that OEM (low use roof cam).

- One 3 camera (simultaneous record) zone is about spec use. (Garage area).

- One 4 camera (simultaneous record zone) is probably 10 minutes per day. (High foot traffic front gate and walkway).

- One 4 zone camera is low use (4th floor fire escape, Atrium and roof). Should go days without recording and likely average less than 1 min. Post test, I'll probably put my OEMs (previously used elsewhere and here) back here and run them into the ground.

I ultimately want to have # Cameras X 8 Rechargeables (rather than 4), so I can always swap out and don't have to pull down, recharge, then re-install, so I'll eventually need ~108 batteries. I'll use this test to fill out the rest of my orders. (Thankfully, I can save my excess OEMs for my smoke and CO detectors and the Arlos I gave my father for his cabin where longest low use life is the only relevant factor.)

Will share results.
RobertRosal
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I look forward to seeing your results.

That'll be a great test!

-Robert
RobertRosal
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Received low battery message via email early this morning.

SolarForce is now at 95 days on low use camera with 14% life remaining.

-Robert
Pet1700
Apprentice
Apprentice
Awesome results.
Pet1700
Apprentice
Apprentice
Solar Force are protected cells, right?
RobertRosal
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Pet1700 wrote:
Solar Force are protected cells, right?

Yes they are.

-Robert
RobertRosal
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Well today was not a low usage day for my camera with the SolarForce.  I put in 8 minutes and brought the life down from yesterday from 14% to 9%.

I have been testing a new motion sensor that has a channel on IFTTT and I must say it was worth it.  This camera during the day did poorly but at night where I was able to set sensitivity to 100% was decent.  Now with the sensor using IFTTT, it was definitely worth losing 5% of life just to test. 🙂

-Robert
Subbers
Aspirant
Aspirant

RobertRosal wrote:

Well today was not a low usage day for my camera with the SolarForce.  I put in 8 minutes and brought the life down from yesterday from 14% to 9%.

I was testing a new motion sensor that has a channel on IFTTT and I must say it was worth it.  This camera during the day did poorly but at night where I was able to set sensitivity to 100% was decent.  Now with the sensor using IFTTT, it was definitely worth losing 5% of life just to test. 🙂

Hey, bit new to all this but it's possible to add another motion sensor to these? Or am I confusing things? 

And so you'd consider these the best batteries you've used so far compared to the Nitecores too? I'm based in the UK, will be pretty hard finding them here 

Oh and the YouTube video doesn't work. Showing up as private 

RobertRosal
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Subbers wrote:

RobertRosal wrote:

I was testing a new motion sensor that has a channel on IFTTT and I must say it was worth it.  This camera during the day did poorly but at night where I was able to set sensitivity to 100% was decent.  Now with the sensor using IFTTT, it was definitely worth losing 5% of life just to test. 🙂

Hey, bit new to all this but it's possible to add another motion sensor to these? Or am I confusing things? 

And so you'd consider these the best batteries you've used so far compared to the Nitecores too? I'm based in the UK, will be pretty hard finding them here 

Oh and the YouTube video doesn't work. Showing up as private 

No confusion, though the motion sensor is not a Netgear product, it is used with IFTTT and Arlo is also with IFTTT.  By using the products that support IFTTT, you can mix and match products to do things that our Arlo's cannot do on it's own.  Like when my motion sensor triggers then start recording on my Arlo camera.  You can go to ifttt.com for more info.

Don't know if the SolarForce is better than my NiteCores as currently my SolarForce has only been used so far on my low usage camera.  I can say that in comparison to my Olight's, and EagleTac's, in this low usage scenario, my SolarForce has outlasted them both.

I'll see if I can change that to not private.

Try this one.

-Robert
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Nice Job Robert....

Would you share the info on sensor?? 

waterproof??

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
RobertRosal
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

TomMac wrote:

Nice Job Robert....

Would you share the info on sensor?? 

waterproof??

Thanks Tom.

Absolutely would love to share!  The sensor I am using is a D-Link motion sensor DCH-S150.

The sensor is not waterproof and needs to be plugged in.  So what I did to make it work, it just so happens that there is a vent in my garage that has a mesh grill that points out before entering to my backyard through the side gate.

With a an extension chord, I plugged in the sensor and tucked it inside the vent.  So now, when anyone enters from that side, it triggers the motion sensor, which then triggers the camera.  For $35 and an extension chord, I thought it was worth a try.  So far it works beautifully! Now the camera starts recording anything coming through that gate which is 40' away!

With some of the creative things this community has done, I would not be surprised if someone creates a home for this little sensor where it can be used outside with the elements.

-Robert
MichaelRogers
Apprentice
Apprentice

If 3 (battery) bars equals 61-100%, what does a full 4 bars actually mean?  

I have one camera using rechargeables showing 78% with 4 bars and another using rechargeables showing 75% with 3 bars.  I wonder why they have different bars since they're both over 61 (and below 100).

According to what I found on Arlo's website (FAQs), the following is what the 0-3 bars are supposed to mean (but there is no mention of 4 bars):

3 bars. 61 – 100%

2 bars. 17 – 60%

1 bar. 1 – 16%

0 bar. 0%

RobertRosal
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Reporting in, as of today, which is the 99th day, the SolarForce batteries just died.  

This was my low usage camera, I believe these batteries should last 100 days or more with approximately a minute of use per day.

These batteries only lasted 99 days as at the end as I was doing a lot of testing with them, which I had 2 days where the cameras were seeing over 7 minutes per day.

-Robert
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

RobertRosal wrote:

These batteries only lasted 99 days as at the end as I was doing a lot of testing with them, which I had 2 days where the cameras were seeing over 7 minutes per day.

Good to hear.

That I would prob compare to the 7 months ( high quality video ) I get with the OEM cells on a low use cam at =< 1 min per day.

Still a good run, one of the best I've seen with li-ion rechargeables

Morse is faster than texting!
nXt
Tutor
Tutor

So where are the best places to buy the recommended batteries (EagleTacs, Olights, NiteCores, SolarForce) for the best price? And also for a 4-battery charger?

Thanks!

Also I find it funny Netgear marked this thread Solved and all they said was to read their warnings about batteries.... /sigh

Jeddeth
Guide
Guide

RobertRosal wrote:

Reporting in, as of today, which is the 99th day, the SolarForce batteries just died.  

This was my low usage camera, I believe these batteries should last 100 days or more with approximately a minute of use per day.

Hi Robert,

Were you using Solarforce rechargables that lasted almost 100 days? Can you post a link to where you bought them and what charger to use? I have been trying to search the forums to see if you already posted links, but I have failed to find them.

Thanks so much and congrats on the amazing battery usage!

Jed

MichaelRogers
Apprentice
Apprentice
The following is my initial horse race between Eagletac, East Shine and Nitecore batteries. I just received 12 SolarForce Batteries and will slot them in shortly. It's too early to draw any meaningful conclusions, but East Shines look promising (even though there appears to be some contradictory results).  photo batteries.png
MichaelRogers
Apprentice
Apprentice

Jeddeth wrote:

RobertRosal wrote:

Hi Robert,

Were you using Solarforce rechargables that lasted almost 100 days? Can you post a link to where you bought them and what charger to use? I have been trying to search the forums to see if you already posted links, but I have failed to find them.

Jed

I bought my 12 SolarForce batteries on http://www.banggood.com for about $4.00 per battery.  I was a bit skeptical of the website, but the batteries showed up in 9 days (from China to Chicago) and in good shape although the packaging was pretty thrown together.  They charged up fairly quickly, but I can't speak to their quality yet other than that.

I bought my EastShines and Nitecores on Amazon.com.  I bought my Eagletacs on Ebay.

RobertRosal
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Jeddeth wrote:

RobertRosal wrote:

Hi Robert,

Jed

Hi Jed,

Yes the rechargables used were Solarforce.  They lasted 99 days for me, with low usage.

-Robert
MichaelRogers
Apprentice
Apprentice
Note: After further review, it appears 1 out of my 12 SolarForce batteries ordered from Banggood is a dud and won't charge beyond 3.4V. (Note: They're supposed to charge to 4.2V off the charger.)
MichaelRogers
Apprentice
Apprentice

Updated horse race results posted.... SolarForce batteries were just added to a low use camera (replacing Eagletacs in camera 5 that drained to 72% in 11 days despite no recordings and probably less than 1 minute of live stream time).

The SolarForce showed 97% charged upon install fresh off the charger and are 96% between ~1-2 days, so nothing meaningful there yet.

The East Shine batteries are showing pretty well so far especially in low use camera (but are showing mixed/conflicting results in two higher use cameras).

The Nitecores look solid.

Note: I live in a heavy 2.4-GHz traffic zone where I had to replace my 2.4 GHZ wifi WAPs with a dual band 2.4/5.0 GHz WAPs just to get a useable wifi signal several feet from the router despite over 100 MBPS of internet speed. I get 4 bars on all my cameras, but that high internet traffic may lead to a higher drain rate than what suburban or rural users might experience.

photo Arlo_zps6eg5ybha.jpg