Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Coltsbro84
Star
Star

I am looking for the best rechargeable CR123 batteries that I can find, for use with my Netgear Arlo four cam system. I bought the green stripe Tenergy that claim to have 750mah power. Six batteries with a charger run about $25. I'm not happy with these batteries, because when fully charged (only takes about an hour to charge with a 500mah charger, from what I understand, it exerts as much energy as it stores, so I'm thinking that these batteries are more like 200mah) but back to the story, when fully charged, these batteries only show the camera as being half charged, with a day's use putting it into the low battery icon, and only lasting about a week.

I have since then ordered four Nitecore batteries, rated at 3.7 volts and 650mah. Now the volts are 0.5 higher than what's to be used with the camera, I'm hoping that this does not affect the camera. 650mah is probably true from the reviews and the steep price tag they are asking of around $10 per battery. I'm hoping that they are quality batteries and worth it, and I purchased a Nitecore charger to go with it. I'll be able to test them out here in a few days and get back with everyone on performance.

I just want to know, has anyone tried the rechargeable batteries that I have mentioned? Or do you have other suggestions?

Tenergy (link here: http://www.amazon.com/Kits-RCR123A-LiFePO4-Rechargeable-Batteries/dp/B001EYHO9G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&a...

Nitecore (link here: : http://www.amazon.com/Nitecore-RCR123A-Protected-Rechargeable-Battery-Black/dp/B00D2OCQB2/ref=pd_sim...

Nitecore charger here http://www.amazon.com/Nitecore-IntelliCharger-i4-Battery-Charger/dp/B005UAI372/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&am...

845 REPLIES 845
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Thanks for the info re spreadsheets...

When doing it daily, it was pretty easy.... but then again, cut -paste -parse works too

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
MichaelRogers
Apprentice
Apprentice

The USPS has delayed (or perhaps lost!) my Eagletac deliveries via eBay, so I decided to search out an alternative I haven't seen mentioned here on Amazon (link below) called Eastshine (4 pack for 25.95 or $6.48 per) that looks like could be a solid choice. I'll run them parallel to Eagletacs (if they ever arrive) and my Panasonic OEMs and share comparison results.

On an ironic and somewhat comical note, my Arlo Cameras captured the mail woman trying to deliver my Eagletacs at 8:49 AM Saturday. For some reason, she couldn't find my buzzer so she labeled my address undeliverable (about a minute later per the USPS tracking information). Sheesh, I learned my lesson straying from Amazon Prime and UPS...

2 angles of the dopey USPS worker failing at the most easy task possible! I have since bumped my daytime record schedule from 10 to 15 seconds...

https://arlo.netgear.com/#/viewShared/9A5E7F31927989E2

https://arlo.netgear.com/#/viewShared/4FFDB3E8774C036B

Amazon link:EASTSHINE E07 16340 Li-ion Battery 700mAh 3.7V 2.59Wh Protected RCR123A Rechargeable CR123A 4Packs for Flaslight Headlamp High Drain Device https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CHX06YC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_05GAxbAWP2BYC

RobertRosal
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I was also looking into those EastShines.

-Robert
MichaelRogers
Apprentice
Apprentice

I've been around long enough to know that you cannot blindly trust outstanding Amazon reviews, but 26 (unanimous) five star ratings including many verified purchasers along with a more more realistic (stated) 700 mAh gives an aura of plausibility making it worth a (limitted) test.  

There's at least one mention of use with Arlo cameras, so I'm hoping that means they fit...

RobertRosal wrote:

RobertRosal
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

MichaelRogers wrote:

I've been around long enough to know that you cannot blindly trust outstanding Amazon reviews, but 26 (unanimous) five star ratings including many verified purchasers along with a more more realistic (stated) 700 mAh gives an aura of plausibility making it worth a (limitted) test.  

There's at least one mention of use with Arlo cameras, so I'm hoping that means they fit...

RobertRosal wrote:

Who said I am trusting Amazon reviews?

Please read all my old posts, you may figure out who first tested the EagleTacs and Olight's 😉  And now the SolarForce, which I would like to add are now at 90 days with 24% life available.  Of course your mileage may vary.

I have already tested the following and gave my approval for their use.  

• EagleTacs
  • Olights
  • NiteCores
  • And now SolarForce

if no one tests, you will never know.

I hope to bring the community another option.

-Robert
MichaelRogers
Apprentice
Apprentice

RobertRosal wrote:

MichaelRogers wrote:

RobertRosal wrote:

Who said I am trusting Amazon reviews?

Please read all my old posts, you may figure out who first tested the EagleTacs and Olight's 😉  And now the SolarForce, which I would like to add are now at 90 days with 24% life available.  Of course your mileage may vary.

I have already tested the following and gave my approval for their use.  

• EagleTacs
  • Olights
  • NiteCores
  • SolarForce

if no one tests, you will never know.

I hope to bring the community another option.

I didn't mean to imply you (or anyone) trusted Amazon reviews, but rather that I'm giving them a try despite my skepticism (and lack of trust in Amazon reviews).

Thanks for your testing work on the other batteries.  It has been very helpful for me.  

RobertRosal
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

No worries.

I also tested TangsFires but no longer recommend it due to no protection circuit included.

-Robert
MichaelRogers
Apprentice
Apprentice
By the way, I've come away from this (very long) thread so far that Nitecore and Eagletacs are the batteries to beat and perhaps equal to one another (while Olights and SolarForce are solid options but either a notch below or not as well vetted). Is that how'd you phrase it?
Pet1700
Apprentice
Apprentice
Yup
RobertRosal
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

MichaelRogers wrote:
By the way, I've come away from this (very long) thread so far that Nitecore and Eagletacs are the batteries to beat and perhaps equal to one another (while Olights and SolarForce are solid options but either a notch below or not as well vetted). Is that how'd you phrase it?

Yes you are correct, so far the Nitecores and Eagletacs are tops.  As for the SolarForce, I am really impressed so far.  I still have to do more testing, because as of current, the SolarForce are being used on one of my low use cameras.

I will test soon as the SolarForce are drained and place those where I usually use the Nitecore, SolarForce and Olight's.  At the current rate of usage, which equates on average a minute and half a day of usage 24/7, these SolarForce may last longer than the 3 above I just quoted.

Again, I will need to test and I will update with my results, which may be a few months from now.  And just to reiterate, today is the 90th day and still have 24% life yet on the SolarForce!

Today so far 1:15 worth of recordings coming up on 8:00pm PST.  Day is not over, camera may record another 30 seconds or so.

-Robert
RobertRosal
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

So if anyone is interested on my low use camera usage, I have taken a snapshot of the past 7 days and it averages with this particular low use camera, I am averaging 2:03 a day.

Again, if anyone is interested.

-Robert
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

yes i am....

As a recap for newer readers;

Rechargeables ( good known brands tested ) will get a high end of about 50-65 days of normal spec use.

Heavy use with rechargeables you can hit the equivlant 100+days of recording time in a short time frame.

OEM cells shine within the spec use for lasting the longest , with me running spec use on best video to about 4 months.

OEM cells with less then spec use ( <1 min / day ) for me run close to 7 months

MichaelRogers
Apprentice
Apprentice
Tom,

Any idea how the quality rechargeables do with less then spec use (<1 min / day)? If OEMs get 7 months, should I expect 2, 3, 4 months? I know it's not where they shine, but interested none-the less.

Robert- I'm interested in the SolarForce updates too. It looks like they are at least 3 months on low use, but you have any idea how Eagletac or Nitecore do in that specific situation?

Could it be that one brand of rechargable is best for high use, another for spec use and a 3rd for way below spec use?
YYCchopper
Aspirant
Aspirant

So my factory energizer CR123 batteries died after 4 months and I was looking to replace them.  Went to my local store and found out that the duracell CR123's here are $32+tax a pair! (Canadian  dollars) So for my 4 cameras thats $268 every 4 month..  No damn way.  They are being trashed if thats the case. So off find batteries online.  There are plenty of options in the USA, but since they are Li-ion batteries most won't ship to Canada.  

So now I am testing rechargable ones.  I found these on Ebay, and since they come from China, I can get them here in Canada.  

Olight 16340/ RCR123A ($7.50 each)

As well, a Nitecore D4 Charger to use for them. 

Installing this weekend so we shall see how they last.  

MichaelRogers
Apprentice
Apprentice
Chopper,

For over $1,000 per year, consider hiring a full time security guard instead!

Does Amazon Prime not ship Lithium batteries to Canada? I've found that Amazon is not the cheapest source for 16340 batteries (rechargable or not), but they've got some good name brand OEM and rechargeable batteries much lower than that.

The Streamlight OEMs are about a $1.55 (US) if bought in a 12 pack ($18.66 USD).
YYCchopper
Aspirant
Aspirant

No kidding.  And probably they might, but was so disgusted with the store prices I went to rechargables.  See how they fair.

RobertRosal
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

MichaelRogers wrote:
Tom,

Any idea how the quality rechargeables do with less then spec use (<1 min / day)? If OEMs get 7 months, should I expect 2, 3, 4 months? I know it's not where they shine, but interested none-the less.

Robert- I'm interested in the SolarForce updates too. It looks like they are at least 3 months on low use, but you have any idea how Eagletac or Nitecore do in that specific situation?

Could it be that one brand of rechargable is best for high use, another for spec use and a 3rd for way below spec use?

Hi Michael,

It would be hard for me to test that since all my cameras see more than a 1 minute a day.  I'd have to really manipulate when they are on or off to get below 1 minute.  So I just leave them on, though once in a while I will turn them off when I let the dogs out.

Yes so far SolarForce is at 3 months, since it was my low usage camera, I never got around to trying my EagleTacs or NiteCores in that specific situation or my Olights.  I'll try the NiteCores, once the SolarForce are drained.

That's what it is starting to look like as I test different brands.  It is most likely that each brand is different when it comes to the way their power is drained.  They may have all the same or similar MAH but in reality, the way it uses those MAH's looks to be quite different.

-Robert
RobertRosal
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Sorry I replied to all the questions.  Just noticed the first one was for Tom.

-Robert
MichaelRogers
Apprentice
Apprentice
Thanks, Robert. Appreciate the useful reply.

What's your best guess for use of that SolarForce camera in terms of minutes per day for ~ 3 months? If I can get 3-4 months out of ~2 min per day, that's about my threshold to replace OEMs for rechargeables for low use cameras. It's more of a pain in the ass vs cost issue for me.
MichaelRogers
Apprentice
Apprentice
Robert,

To clarify, I'm not sure if your Solarforce average of 2:03 was for the past week or past 3 months.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

MichaelRogers wrote:
Tom,

MR;

The best I every gotten out of rechargeables was 70 days... doesn't seem to make much difference but it was on a low use camera ( from which I get 7 months on OEM cells )

Normal use cameras the RCR's avge any where from 45-60 days in spec use +/-

Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy
I'm on day 64 with a set of NiteCores in my most remote camera. It has two bars battery power left and operates on a single bar of signal strength. It's seeing very little use. 1-2 30-second recordings per fortnight.
RobertRosal
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

MichaelRogers wrote:
Thanks, Robert. Appreciate the useful reply.

What's your best guess for use of that SolarForce camera in terms of minutes per day for ~ 3 months? If I can get 3-4 months out of ~2 min per day, that's about my threshold to replace OEMs for rechargeables for low use cameras. It's more of a pain in the ass vs cost issue for me.

Well so far as I posted, I currently run on average 1-1/2 minutes per day, really closer to 2 minutes. 

I did not expect for these batteries to perform the way they do, hopefully it is not a fluke.  So I am going to insert them to my camera that is over spec use, which my NiteCore's, EagleTac's and Olight's have all reached 60 days and see how they perform.

I totally understand the pain in the ass vs cost issue.

As of right now 91 days, it is now 9:24pm PST, I logged 2:30 minutes yesterday and still the day is not over and logged 1 minute so far with 22% life still left.

-Robert
RobertRosal
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

MichaelRogers wrote:
Robert,

To clarify, I'm not sure if your Solarforce average of 2:03 was for the past week or past 3 months.

I would say I am averaging 1:30 per day easily for the past 3 months.

-Robert
Subbers
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hey, just made a thread but basically needing rechargeable batteries in the UK. Has anyone mentioned which ones to go for here?

May end up ordering the Nitecore or EagleTec from US if no luck